SASS Wire Forum

Period Correct Brogan shoes

Willie Shootum

Regular cowboy boots hurt my feet. I was thinking of buying some lace up brogan shoes and wearing Botas over them. Who makes a period correct brogan style shoe? All of them I have found have rubber soles with deep treads, so they will not do. Any suggestions where to buy the period correct brogans? Thanks,Willie Shootum

You'll want to check out Fall Creek Sutlery. I'll put a link up here shortly.

Bodine

Here's link to an article about cowboys and boots.

Did Cowboys really wear boots?

At the end of the article is a link to a current maker of Brogan shoes. Also known as Jefferson Bootees or Ankle Boots.

I wear Ariats for shooting, but you ask about Brogans..... the Stacy Adams are the closest thing to REAL Brogans that I know of. The fit like a glove and are the most original out there that I know of.

Snakebite

Here ya go:

http://www.fcsutler.com/fcshoes.asp

Bodine

AWESOME WEBSITE they even have wooden pegs in the sole

Yup, the feller at Fall Creek has been doing this for a loooong time and reasearched every stitch and peg of Civil War and Indian wars footwear. I miss shooting the breeze with him after hours since I gave up Civil war reenacting. He's good people to hang with!

I had him nail my heel plates on my boots after i bought them while they were on my feet for some goofy photo opportunities. I never got a copy from anyone though. ^_^

I recommend him highly for product and customer service.

Bodine

Also check www.fugawee.com . They deal in colonial through Civil War eras and have some great shoes. I've had their HiLo Trekkers, Jefferson Boots and a couple pair of their straight last shoes. All have been comfortable and well made,

Mingo

I wear a pair of Justin lacers with leggins, and yes they are very comfortable.

Another option is the Heritage series shoes/boots from Redwing. They might be kind of pricey, but Redwings are also comfortable footwear, and they will last forever.

http://www.redwingheritage.com/boots/#&f=Heritage%20Boot

Another option is the Heritage series shoes/boots from Redwing. They might be kind of pricey, but Redwings are also comfortable footwear, and they will last forever.

http://www.redwingheritage.com/boots/#&f=Heritage%20Boot

Yep, I wear a pair of Red Wing oxfords most of the time, worth every penny. The Chukkas look really nice too, dye the edges of the soles and yer good to go. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r:

Fugawees... I have two pair of them, one is the straight-last Ligioner, the other is the Concord on left-right last. The Concords I wear an awful lot and they have been faithful companions on many colonial encampments and trekking trips. the ligioners however... I have had to re-stitch the soles three times since I bought them. They do have great customer service and provide a good product but they can be inconsistent in quality at times. I know several people that have had to send back their orders 1-3 times to get the right fit. They are made in Mexico.

I don't know of too many folks that have had the Fugawee Hi-lo's and kept them very long. Maybe one or two out of a couple dozen of my reenacting circle.

Robert Land makes the Hi-los for about the same price and they seem to be far superior in fit and comfort acording to those I know in the hobby.

Just some experiences I've had/been privvy to over the years for those who like to go period correct over period close-enough FWIW. ;):lol:

Bodine

Hello Willie,

There are several excellent Civil War sutlers scattered across the US. Fall Creek is one of many. You don't have a location listed(of course, I'm blind, too) but I recommend IF you want to go with brogan, try them on. There are some different manufacturers making brogans and the sizes can vary somewhat. I have a pair of Robert Land brogans I purchased from James Country Mercantile in Liberty, Missouri. They are comfortable with a gel sole in them. I tried another manufacturer's (I don't remember whose) and they pinched my feet, although the size was the same as the Robert Land.

Archived