SASS Wire Forum

harbor freight gun carts

Charlie Plasters, SASS#60943

Seems like there was a mention somewhere in the past about using the harbor freight welding cart as a base for a gun cart. I can't find it in the "search". Has anyone actually done this and could include pictures or description as to the how to do it?

Seems like there was a mention somewhere in the past about using the harbor freight welding cart as a base for a gun cart. I can't find it in the "search". Has anyone actually done this and could include pictures or description as to the how to do it?

I believe J. Mark Flint is the ornery cuss that did that one time.

http://www.carolinabelles.net/vb/showthread.php?t=1564&highlight=Cart

It is still holding up just fine, has needed no repairs and has seen a lot of other use for things like totin' car parts around the basement. Weak point to the cart is the tires are nonstandard size and they tend to go flat or at least low between shoots.

Holds a lot of guns and a ton of stuff and can be partially or completely broken down depending on vehicle size.

The big wheels are ideal over rough terrain.

My criticism is it is overkill for an individual shooter.

I built a Kart out of the Harbor Frieght Welding Kart. Although mine came out really nice as I put a great deal of effort into it to make it look good and work well,I would not suggest using one because of the cheap tires on it.I had to take a tire/wheel back the very next day since the tube split like it was rotten.Read the reviews about the cart on the Harbor Frieght web site.They say the same thing about the tires. If you intend to change to a solid tire,you'll have to cut and refit the axle lower.Harbor Freight does not offer wheels for the karts,nor can you find them online anywhere.I've tried.I plan to change over to a solid tire that I can buy locally.Other then that little complaint,the kart is a good idea and is light enough to throw in the back of my pick-up.I made mine to hold four guns,although,right now,I am only wheeling two guns around with it.I do agree that it is over kill for a single shooter though.I feel the need to start a winter project when the snow starts flying.

The simple handcart they sell for around $20- $25 with pneumatic tires works great for a cart to be carried in a pickup or van. I use one for a hand cart to move frieght, flawless for 5+ years even with 300 lb loads. Not so hot for transport in a car. As a basic unit, the fat, air tires and the tube steel frame is easy to work with and rides well f ya got a way to transport it. With a simple rack and box arrangement, add about 5 lbs air to the tires and it will ride like a baby carriage. Avoid solid tires, especially small diameter, as they are near worthless on anything but the best terrain. That cute folding handcart is great for what it is meant for, a salesman or lawyer to tote file boxes from a paved parking lot through an office building, but would suck on grass or sand.

I've got a basic hand truck (dolly) of tubular steel, like AJ mentioned. Constructed a generous box out of 1X4, with a pair of 2X2 uprights on the back side. The uprights fit right between the frame rails of the dolly. A pair of brass drawer pulls screwed to the back of the uprights is perfect for a 1x2 crossbar to slide through, securing the contraption to the dolly. It's worked fine for years, and the dolly isn't permanently modified, so I can use it for other tasks.

Archived