SASS Wire Forum

.45 ACP

Six-Shot

I have a pair of Ruger Bisley's with .45 ACP cylinders. Obvoiusly .45 ACP is used as Wild Bunch ammunition but is it allowed as main match ammunition? The SASS handbook says:

REVOLVER CALIBERS

• Must be centerfire calibers of at least .32 caliber and no larger than .45 caliber or percussion

calibers of at least .36 caliber and no larger than .45 caliber.

• Must be in a caliber commonly available in revolvers. Examples include, but are not limited

to, .32-20, .32 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .44 Magnum, .44-40, and .45 Colt).

"commonly available in revolvers." As I see it ACP is not that.

What about "but are not limited to"?

I, and many other shooters, use .45 Cowboy Specials. This is a cartridge tailored especially for cowboy shooters by cutting the .45 Colt back to .45 ACP length. It is totally legal and commonly used. There is only one source for this brass.

I do not understand the 'commonly available' statement an have never heard any cowboy have a problem with anyone's ammo as long as it met caliber, lead, velocity and safety requirements stated in the SASS handbook.

I have shot .32 H&R magnum since it came out in 1984. It drove me to reloading in 1985 because I could not find it. It is very common to see shooters who are recoil sensitive or like the 3/4-size guns that use it. There are only three companies that I know of that have every factory loaded this round.

I have shot .32 H&R magnum since it came out in 1984. It drove me to reloading in 1985 because I could not find it. It is very common to see shooters who are recoil sensitive or like the 3/4-size guns that use it. There are only three companies that I know of that have every factory loaded this round.

Use 32 ACP.

REVOLVER CALIBERS

• Must be centerfire calibers of at least .32 caliber and no larger than .45 caliber or percussion

calibers of at least .36 caliber and no larger than .45 caliber.

• Must be in a caliber commonly available in revolvers. Examples include, but are not limited

to, .32-20, .32 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .44 Magnum, .44-40, and .45 Colt).

Steve:

45 ACP is completely legal for revolvers in SASS. The list only sets out some of the more common examples, it is not meant to be all inclusive. That's why it says 'include, but not limited to'. Notice it does not list 44 Special or 44 Russian either, but they are legal too.

45 ACP was first chambered in revolvers by S&W in 1917, because Colt could not keep up with orders for the 1911 during the arms buildup before WWI. They made almost 170,000 of them. After the War they continued making them, in fact the Brazilian contract probably saved S&W from bankruptcy during the Depression. Then there was the 45 Hand Ejector Model of 1950, the 1950 Target Model, and the 1955 Target Model. All chambered for 45 ACP. After the change over to model numbers, the Model 1950 became the Model 22 and the Model 1955 Target Model became the Model 25 chambered in either 45 ACP or 45 Colt. And Colt made a bunch of 45 ACP revolvers on their large frames too. Nothing uncommon about 45 ACP in a revolver. Notice the rule does not say anything about cartridges available in Single Action Revolvers. It only says commonly available in revolvers. Here is a photo of my pair of Brazilian contract S&W Model 1917s.

S&W Model 1917

The only restriction, as Goody said, is that rimmed cartridges must be used in Classic, so no 45 ACP in that category. If you want to load them with Black Powder, you can use 45 ACP in the BP categories.

Then I could also use 9mm in my Blackhawk Convertible, assuming lead bullet, low velocity, etc?

I see no reason to try, just curious.

It would be legal. In fact a whole lot of 38 shooters use 9mm bullets in their 38s, a whole lot of those under 100 g molly bullets are 9 mm or at least that what was available a couple of years ago. Due to the diameter, I could not get the desired accuracy so I quit using them.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

.45 ACP is an excellent caliber in a single action revolver. The recoil, pressure, velocity and bullet weights are right on the money for SASS.

Remember that there ain't no rim to stop cartridges from falling through loose .45 bullet loops, though. :mellow:

I sold a pair of .45 C/.45 ACP 5.5" K-Vaqueros to a Pard in 2008.

They were limited Davidsons from back about 5 or so years.

MG

WWA

Then I could also use 9mm in my Blackhawk Convertible, assuming lead bullet, low velocity, etc?

I see no reason to try, just curious.

I like to shoot wart hog 9mm cahrtridges in my dual cylinder USFA Single Action slicked by Long Hunter. Sweet. The other cylinder is 357 so I can also use 38s in it. Versatility is good.

Local lady shooter uses phlea phart 9mms in her Blackhawk. She never misses. At least I can't tell if she does.

Have an identical LH USFA in 45C/ACP. Pretty neat to be able to shoot 45C, Schofield, 45CS, 45 ACP, 357, 38spcl and 9mm all out of just 2 6guns. Also have a Cimarron Thunderer and old Vaq in 45C/ACP. I really like those convertibles.

45 ACP is completely legal for revolvers in SASS. The list only sets out some of the more common examples, it is not meant to be all inclusive. That's why it says 'include, but not limited to'. Notice it does not list 44 Special or 44 Russian either, but they are legal too.

The only restriction, as Goody said, is that rimmed cartridges must be used in Classic, so no 45 ACP in that category. If you want to load them with Black Powder, you can use 45 ACP in the BP categories.

That's what I thought but I wanted to get a consensus. I also have a Colt 1917 Army service revolver that uses .45ACP but as you know it is double-action and SASS is single-action only so I wanted to make sure before I order a 160 grain .452 Lee mould, top punch and sizing die.

I could load 'em with black powder but I can't shoot 'em in BP categories with Bisley Blackhawks which have adjustable sights.

Thanks Johnson and all you pards' for your input. :)

With the mouse-pharf loads that are commonly used I would suggest that the 9mm and 45 ACP/AR are safer than their full cousins such as 38 Special and 45 Colt due to their reduced case capacity and less air space.

With the mouse-pharf loads that are commonly used I would suggest that the 9mm and 45 ACP/AR are safer than their full cousins such as 38 Special and 45 Colt due to their reduced case capacity and less air space.

That's where I'm goin' with all of this!

Them aint .45 ACP's. Them's .45 Schofield Rimless.......

Archived