SASS Wire Forum

375 gas checks

Smoked Fish , SASS # 52621

I have a 38-55 Marlin and want to put gas checks on some 260 gr bullets.

I have never put checks on before so could us a little advise.

Is Hornedy the only choice for checks? I assume they ar fine to use.

What is the best method and best crimper or at least the easiest to use?

I have a RCBS Rock Crusher reloader, but no bullet sizer / lube equipment.

Thanks for any advise. I do NOT want to buy a sizer luber - not at this time.

Smoked Fish

Smoked----sitting here w/ same situation----ain't never done no gas checks----I'm thinking some o ya post have stated that ya Marlin has bore of .380 or .381---( I got H&R that needs .380's---My Marlin needs .379's) I don't know if .375 checks will work for us---High Spade Mikey Wilson tells me he's been getting .379 bullets that have groove in base for gas check--if they take .375's or not I don't know----He's been getting his from encks gun barn.com---Couldn't find reloading supplies on their site but shows tel. number----between them & this post maby both of us can find out a few things!!

OK Low Down,

Well I wrote Enecks GunBarn and asked about the gas checks. Will see what/if I get a response.

I do NOT see any reloading stuff on their site either.

There is a few UTube videos that might help.

One showes a gas check crimper tool being used but i did not get the name of the tool.

There are other Utube stuff about making your own gas checks which I would rather not do.

Might have to but will see.

Talk to you later if I find out anything else.

Smoked Fish - just looking for a good 38-55 heavy bullet that shoots well. Yup - my Marlin 381

Smoked----sitting here w/ same situation----ain't never done no gas checks----I'm thinking some o ya post have stated that ya Marlin has bore of .380 or .381---( I got H&R that needs .380's---My Marlin needs .379's) I don't know if .375 checks will work for us---High Spade Mikey Wilson tells me he's been getting .379 bullets that have groove in base for gas check--if they take .375's or not I don't know----He's been getting his from encks gun barn.com---Couldn't find reloading supplies on their site but shows tel. number----between them & this post maby both of us can find out a few things!!

Think I found something.

http://leeprecision.com/xcart/FACTORY-CRIMP-DIE-38-55.html

Thiss is what the guy is using in the UTube video.

SF

Found it at Midway.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Find?statuses=Available&statuses=In+Stock&statuses=Backorder+OK&statuses=Special+Order&statuses=Not+Available&statuses=No+Backorder&statuses=Coming+Soon&statuses=Other&minPrice=&maxPrice=&userSearchQuery=lee+crimp+die+38-55&sortBy=0&itemsPerPage=20

SF

I found the Gas check making web site.

http://freechex.net/

Not sure this is the way to go.

He does make custom sizes though.

Just a thought.

SF

Smoked---IF WORSE COMES TO WORSE---Midway shows they sell Cast Performance brand gas checked cast lead bullets---38/55--.378 diam--260gr lead long fn gc---product #266-254-----------------260 gr. lead long fn gc---380 dia---product# 364-624-----kinda pricey at $36.99 for 100 ! Oh yeah the limk ya posted bout home made gas checks states that base of bullets have smaller diameter so gas check will fit on! We keep digging maby we can find some the diam we need that have a base the 375 checks will fit on!

There are a lot of good places to buy 38-55 bullets.

The problem for me is that I slugged my barrel and found .381 Diameter.

ONly a few places sell this size bullet.

Montana Bullet Works sells a gas checked bullet weighing about 265 gr which might do you good. Just a suggestion.

The bullets I bought [Hunter Supply] do have a smaller dia bottom and are made for gas checks.

I think the one utube idea will work for me. I need to buy the gas checks and the crimper.

Smoked Fish

You can rest assured that the Hornady 375 gas checks will work just fine. Been there , done that. Worked fine on an oversized bore Winchester 38-55 which I had a special mold made for.

I then contacted Lee Precision and ordered a custom sizing die, in the dimension I wanted, and used it to size the bullets and seat the gas checks. Since the gas checks are flared out at the top, they easily fit over the recess at the bottom of the bullet, and when when crimped on, were permanately and secutely attached.

Finally the bullets were lubed with Lee Liquid Alox tumble lube. Worked very well and no problems were encountered.

The Lee sizing die was not expensive at all, probably costing $20 or $25 dollars extra for being special made.

RBK

Archived