SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy Loads

Bullet Bob

I assume you live there - get a telephone directory, look up sporting goods stores in the Yellow Pages, and start calling around & asking. I found these in a 5 second Google search. Looks like a lot of golf & athletic stuff, but it appears there are some gun stores too.

1. Underwater Adventures

2. Wolfhead Athletic

3. Bullet Hole Belleville

4. Mainieros Sports Shop

5. High Country Sports

6. Camp Stuff 4 Less

7. Modell's #53

8. Bills Army And Navy

9. Modell's #83

10. Pure Hockey-Fairfield

11. Leezar Sporting Goods

12. The Sneaker Factory

13. Likewear Llc

14. Sports Plus Of Nj #8

15. Leisure Fitness Ardmore

16. Murph's Sport Shop

17. Mike Strlekar Golf Shop

18. Comlaxfairfield 22

19. Bens Verona Sports Center

20. Golfsmith Golf Ctr #54

21. Division East Board Sports

22. The Stadium Shop

23. Pegasus Sporting Goods

24. The Game Room

25. Footlocker

Where can I buy "Cowboy Loads" and other SASS shooting paraphernalia in North New Jersey (Essex County)?

Bullet Bob

Howdy, Bullet Bob! Welcome to Cowboy Action Shooting. With all due respect to the other respondents, living in New Jersey is NOT the same as living in the rest of the free world. ;-)

That said, asking other CAS shooters at one of the local clubs is a great starting place. CAS supplies on the East Coast are mostly mail-order or internet-order. If you haven't already joined the Single Action Shooting Society (SASS) please consider doing so; their website and The Cowboy Chronicle provide excellent references for vendors of everything "Cowboy."

Cheaper than Dirt, in Ft. Worth, has good prices on Cowboy ammo, but I'm not sure if they're allowed to ship to NJ. I took up reloading to support my hobby. Reloading is much cheaper in the long run and allows me to have the ammo I need whenever I need it.

Hope that helps,

--Ranger Dave

--SOUTH Jersey ;-)

Welcome, Bullet Bob!

I am guessing you are a brand new shooter, at least to CAS. You do this game once and you'll be hooked. :D The sooner you start reloading (and reloading for this ain't all that difficult so don't get intimidated by that thought) the more money you'll save in the long run.

Contact whatever local SASS club you can and start asking questions. The folks will be right friendly and helpful.

Maybe try:

Thumbusters in Monmouth ask for Ol Sea Dog at 732-892-7272

or

Jackson Hole Gang in Jackson ask for Papa Grey at 732-961-6834

(Got those from the SASS Chronicle)

If you have gun shows in NJ, you might be able to locate decently priced ammo there. I did that for about a year before I started reloading myself. I save a lot of money reloading as the longer I am in this game, the more I shoot. It's a great bad habit to have. :D

Bob,

There aren't many stores that sell "cowboy loads" in NJ at all. Most places are simply hunting/ fishing stores and some carry handgun ammo, but most don't carry ammo loaded specifically for cowboy shooting. Black Hills, Winchester, PMC and others are available at Cabela's in Hamburg, PA. You can order from them on line if you don't want to drive there. They are, however, expensive and many shooters order from commercial reloaders instead. There are a number of reloaders around in PA and NY and one that a couple of people have used, successfully, is Master Cast bullets. They supply lead bullets for reloading but also sell completed ammunition. Even with shipping, they are still cheaper than factory ammunition sold at retail. Their web site is www.mastercastbullets.com. Give them a call and they can set you up. If you don't have any empties to send them they may not be able to help you as they didn't have any reloaded ammo to sell a few months ago.

If you have the time, there is a match at the Jackson range (close to Great Adventure) this Sunday run by the Jackson Hole Gang club. They are in the affiliated clubs section. Match starts at 10 am. Come down and meet some of the people and they can give you an idea of how to proceed. The Thumbusters match is the second Sunday of the month, so the next one is in October.

Tex

I buy cowboy loads from Georgia Arms at www.georgia-arms.com. It comes in Starline brass (best to reload later on), is very consistent and has very competitive recoil and prices.

Reloading is the best answer for most cowboys. If you can bake brownies from a box mix then you can reload the .38 Special, .45 Colt and .44 Specials that are commonly used in SASS. There are some more difficult cartridges to load (.32, .38 and .44 WCF rounds) but you can completely enjoy and complete in SASS wihtout touching those rounds. The upfront cost of a simple reloading kit (Lee for around $150 for an anniversary kit) will quickly be offset be saving $.20-.40 per round. I reload 150 rounds for a regular Saturday match in 2 hours on such a setup. There is more costly setups that have higher output but I like the simple method.

I also reload 12-gage shells but there is very little savings for the target loads that we shoot. Winchester AA's or Remigngton Gun Club or STS shells are inexpensive and very competitive.

Archived