SASS Wire Forum

Cimarron Big Iron .357 good to start out with?

Latigo Lance

Howdy,

My wife, Trixie Mae an I are new SASS members. Between us we have a single shot 20 gauge and a Beretta Gold Rush Carbine. I have a line on a new Cimarron Big Iron .357, but haven't been able to scare up any reviews of the pistol either way. Anyone have an opinion on this model?

Much Obliged

I'd not heard of these by name but a Google search shows that it is a Pietta-made single action with a matte finish and brass grip frame. I found them online for $315 each. http://www.gunsmithmn.com/Cimarron_Big_Iron_45_Long_Colt_Single_Action_p/4423412707.htm

The Piettas are good guns by all reports. If you can get a good deal, go for it. Sometimes the stock guns can benefit from a little smoothing.

Pietta made Colt reproduction guns (GWII) are pretty good.

Check out the pictures of the Pietta Dakota II and the Great Western II. The grip shape is a bit different on the Dakota II, but not a problem unless you would want to change the grips at some point. The GWII has removable cylinder bushings while the Dakota/Big Iron doesn't.

From a manufacturing standpoint, I would guess the main differences would just be the cylinder, finish, frame and grips. The Dakota grips appear to be similar to the Pietta 51 navy grips which also have a different profile from the originals. Maybe someone can compare these side by side and let us know the extent of the differences.

So far,its looking like this gun puts the lead downrange without any fatal flaws.. I have really scoured net looking for the shooter who has issues with this piece. We go to our first Cowboy Action meet this Sunday, and watching, learning, participating, handling a few guns should go a long way towards finding our first pistol.

You have probably already contacted the Match Director or others in the club to let them know you are new shooters looking for hardware. You will probably have lots of chances to handle and perhaps shoot several different types of revolvers, rifles and shotguns. There is nothing like "test driving" samples of various guns in an actual match to see how they work for you. Too often people buy something, then find out later that it was not the best choice.

You may not see a "Big Iron" but ask around and you'll probably see some other Pietta-made revolvers to get an idea. A fellow in my club has a pair of engraved Piettas that are very nice.

I'd recommend trying a Ruger and a "Colt clone" like a Uberti or Pietta. If you prefer the Ruger you can go that way. If a "clone" is more your speed you can look into the several different brands and sub-brands and models of those guns that are available.

You might find a good deal on some guns that other members have for sale. Some people change from one type to another, or change calibers, or retire from the game. If people know you are looking you might be surprised what deals may materialize.

I hope you have a great time at the match. Post a report when you get home and let your Wire friends know how it went.

Archived