SASS Wire Forum

Varmint hunting

J-BAR #18287

I stalked a brown recluse spider in my garage this afternoon. I used a CCI #11 magnum cap on a Ruger Old Army, took the shot at 3 inches (I like to get close...make sure one shot does the job). I know I will be accused of using too much gun because there wasn't much left to mount, but it's preferable to letting one escape.

Anyone with similar experience?

Did you get any backstrap? That's the real question. :lol:

I've never been afraid or even concerned about snakes, but spiders kind of give me the willies. Especially Brown Recluse. I've seen too many horror stories concerning them little buggers.

I've seen the damage those spiders can do. Personally I'd of gone with a 12ga with salt rocks in it. but That's just me.

I use a 12ga. myself. I have a ton of test shells that I use for testing guns. They're old shells cut off that are worn out with primers only. Crickets in my shop don't stand a chance. If it doesn't kill them outright it disorients them so bad you can take your time dispatching them with the boot. Got to be within a couple feet of them for it to be effective. Fun stuff!!

WK

My very first BP gun was a CVA Philidelphia Derringer kit my mom bought me for Christmas when I was 12/13 (my B-D is 12/26). I've shot everything from spiders to rats and even a couple of rabbits with it over the years. Looks like a 13 year old built it but it works still. A number 11 and a cork works good on spiders and stink-bugs at about 2ft. The best load for it is 5gr. of 3f and a thimble full of #4 with half a cotton ball on each side of the shot. Barn-rats feared me! :ph34r:

Bodine

Well now...!

Back in the college days, in the Kappa Phi Delta house we'd dispatch flies with .22's loaded with blanks. Quite effective... and helped develop our wingshooting skills! ;)

Then, from time to time, we'd have a "mouse safari," with the same .22's loaded with birdshot.

One night at dinner, ol' Hank was in his usual place at the head of the table (we called that "Hank's Pa Cartwright seat"). From where he sat, he had a good view of the pantry... and when he saw a mouse crawl out of a drawer and walk along it's edge, he slowly drew a Single Six loaded with birdshot... and dispatched said mouse.

Without missing a bite, Half-Breed-Pete observed "Nice shot, Hank..." and we all continued eating. ^_^

I don't like spiders. I dispatch Black Widders with whatever weapon is available at the time. We haven't had any reports of Brown Recluses in this area thank goodness but their range is increasing.

I catch any tarantulas I spot and send to a bug perfesser in Mississippi. I don't know what his research entails. maybe he teaches them to read and write.

I don't like spiders. I dispatch Black Widders with whatever weapon is available at the time. We haven't had any reports of Brown Recluses in this area thank goodness but their range is increasing.

I catch any tarantulas I spot and send to a bug perfesser in Mississippi. I don't know what his research entails. maybe he teaches them to read and write.

I understand the government is spending millions to fund that study of whether they can be taught to read and write. But that it Ok. I only worry about the waste of BILLIONS, .... . . . the mere "millions" being wasted is small change and not a real a worry . . . ..... :huh::blink::wacko:;)

I stalked a brown recluse spider in my garage this afternoon. I used a CCI #11 magnum cap on a Ruger Old Army, took the shot at 3 inches (I like to get close...make sure one shot does the job). I know I will be accused of using too much gun because there wasn't much left to mount, but it's preferable to letting one escape.

I Will say Without Reserve That I Would Rather Burn a Building Down As Be Any Where Close To A Recluse!! Good Job J-Bar!!

We had a woman in the shop talking about what we call the Missouri Brown.

She said she was thankful that they were so rare.

We have a professional exterminator monthly and I still found 10 Brown's in 4 minutes. Convinced her they were NOT rare but in fact very common

Ruined her whole day.

Did you serve papers before shooting the spider?

"Mr. Recluse... I have a writ here says you're to stop roaming around my house forthwith. Now it's a spider writ, writ for a spider, and this is lawful service of the same. See? Doesn't pay any attention to me."

Did you serve papers before shooting the spider?

"Mr. Recluse... I have a writ here says you're to stop roaming around my house forthwith. Now it's a spider writ, writ for a spider, and this is lawful service of the same. See? Doesn't pay any attention to me."

Just say, "He was coming for me!"

Violently allergic to yellow jackets and black widows. Keep the epi-pen nearby whenever I might be around the little buggers!!! (insert full body shiver here)

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

most spiders dont bother me but the black widow and the recluse bother me lots .... my uncle who is a big man was bit by a widow when i was a kid and was in the hospital nearly 6 mo and almost died, from it then right after that we was all palyin hide and seek and i was up in the rafters in a barn in Mira Loma waiting for my cousin i rolled over and looked and i was in a nest of baby ones ... needless to say i got a little excited freaked out a bit and fell out of the rafters ...dont know how i missed gettin bit but with all the noise i made my cousin found me.....

and the first recluse i remember hearing about was on the news around 71 give er take a year and some little boy got bit by one, closest meds was in south america and was being flown in, 1/2 hour or so before the plane touched down the little boy died ..... that put the recluse on my list of things to stay the heck away from.

I hear tell them taxidermist can take tem legs and make ya a body and mount that rascal fer ya right nice ...

Point to the very center of where the brownies live, you'll find my place. NW Arkansas. There are too many here to be afraid of. Just check your boots before you put'em on. I've never had one come at me, but I have seen some very aggressive pizen snakes. They scare me worse. I was swimmin, actually workin on my boat dock in the water, looked over and saw a large water mocasin. About 15 feet from me. I turned and went up the ladder in about 2 seconds. Turned and it was gone. Gone to the same ladder I was on! I grabbed the wife's purse and dispatched him. Later I was buying her a new purse cuz I broke nail polish and other goodies. Sucker was a good four feet. I left it on the dock and within 5 minutes a big bird, a heron I believe, took off with it in tow. Flew out of site.

Cash

Archived