SASS Wire Forum

How many clubs use horse/cow shotgun/rifle stands?

Rev Willy Dunkum, SASS # 61027

I am with both Colt And Black Tom. I have shot a 97, shoot a double now and even with the saddle it is a disadvantage. the horses with the table top are a much better way to go. You have seen the ones on the coral in Sparta, same idea as in Michigan. They are the way to go.

Add me to the "I HATE THEM" category. I have had rifle levers close on them, and my short SXS fall off them when re-staging. Even my '97 has to be propped up just so to work on them. I think many have different depth cuts in them so some are even worse than others. Put a table top on them if you want to be fair.

When first saw them I thought they were really neat. They were easy to manage setting up and taking down and added a good "view".

But as time has gone on, I've seen many folks have trouble with them. The first time I had trouble was at a night shoot, I replaced my rifle and the little carbine barrel didn't find the front support. I fortunately held on and didn't drop it - but almost. It sure rattled me and messed up the match for me.

Some have shortened it a little and that helped, but then longer guns cause problems - but we don't see as many of those as we used to. Adding a center support may help, but then they wouldn't be as easy to move around, etc.

So now I agree with the folks that believe we need something a little better.

When cut to the proper size with the legs canted out at the bottom for stability and the "saddle" for doubles there ............ perfect for the majority of shooters. For those who prefer to toss there guns as they break for the next shooting position ...... maybe not so much. The improvement over vertical staging is huge.

Coffinmaker

. . . The improvement over vertical staging is huge.

Coffinmaker

I sure agree with the latter. And the dimensions do make a lot of difference!

But until I see the ones you mention, most of the ones I know of are marginal at best.

The ones I've seen and used seem to favor the doubles. The horses/steers have cradles front, rear and center (with the saddle). My preference would be flat tables with carpet, but they add some atmosphere.

When I started, we used a lot of corners and edges which caused more than a few to fall when used in haste. A few pards lost their sights or beads on occasion, so the switch to horizontal is a definite improvement.

Archived