SASS Wire Forum

How many clubs use horse/cow shotgun/rifle stands?

Rev Willy Dunkum, SASS # 61027

I've shot with some clubs who like to stage their rifle/shotguns horizontal on cutouts on cows or horses that seem to favor those with the '97 over a SxS.

With the double, it is safer to stage it upside down so the action stays open but is harder to grab and mount. The 97 can be staged and readily grabbed with the action open.

Myself, I can live with it, but seem to think if a stage calls for horizontal staging, a flat platform is preferable.

What do you prefer?

I am not wanting to stir a pot, just wondering.

All of the ones I have seen have a removable rack that fits in the middle of the horse. You put it on if the shooter has a double and it keeps the gun open. Remove it for 97 shooters.

Ditto for me.

Two clubs I shoot at use staging horses.

But they have removable "saddles" for doubles.

Safe & convenient.

--Dawg

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

At the Eastern Nebraska Gun Club we have some of both horse/cow and table top types.

Both types have their advantages.

I also have a whiskey barrel on a spoked wheeled cart that's cut in half with carpet inside and on the rim.

You can lay a rifle or M-1897 across the bung holes and it cradles it well.

Or you can stuff a short SxS in it with the butt sticking out.

Mustang Gregg

[builder of targets & props]

We have a mule and a longhorn steer that we can stage the rifle and shotgun on -- both have removable saddles to accommodate both the double and the 97 shooters. Without the saddle, it is not a level playing field IMHO.

We have a mule and a longhorn steer that we can stage the rifle and shotgun on -- both have removable saddles to accommodate both the double and the 97 shooters. Without the saddle, it is not a level playing field IMHO.

Yep. Rev, let the MDs know they are missing the an important part (saddle/rack) to thier props. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r:

All of the ones I have seen have a removable rack that fits in the middle of the horse. You put it on if the shooter has a double and it keeps the gun open. Remove it for 97 shooters.

Yep.

That's what most use around here that have those. And several clubs use them.

Peraonally. I like them. And I shoot a double.

Think they add a little flavor to the stage.

I like the idea of the saddle. Anyone have a pix they can share? I have an idea and it sounds like it would be fitted to the individual prop.

I will mention it to the MD. Could be a very easy fix.

Hey Rev:

Here's a pic of Lady Crossdraw reaching for her shotgun.

You can see the gun side of the saddle

Lady Crossdraw

Here's another pic of a horse.

You can clearly see how the saddle slips on & off the horse.

horse

--Dawg

Here is one we use with the saddle for doubles. And yes, they are a pain to pick up if you have to use without a saddle, a double staged upside down is about as bad as vertical staging a double.

My daugher shooting at The Reckoning, she does not like me posting these photos, but then she is a teenager and I am her dad. She can't do anything about it!

I like to see these set up pointing the guns at the berm and the stage set up so the shooter should not try to pass in front of the guns. We had one set up at the last monthly match and a few tried to go in front of the guns. There should have been other props set up to force the shooter around the safe side.

At the annual match shown in the photo there are two horse/cow props set up for the shooter to choose where they want the guns staged, right side or left side. With less time and help for the monthly, only one was put out. The problem was noted and should be avoided in the future.

yup! just about every club I shoot at uses em!

I've shot with some clubs who like to stage their rifle/shotguns horizontal on cutouts on cows or horses that seem to favor those with the '97 over a SxS.

With the double, it is safer to stage it upside down so the action stays open but is harder to grab and mount. The 97 can be staged and readily grabbed with the action open.

Myself, I can live with it, but seem to think if a stage calls for horizontal staging, a flat platform is preferable.

What do you prefer?

I am not wanting to stir a pot, just wondering.

The cows/horses that were being used yesterday have had the saddles in the past. I don't know what happened for this shoot but they should have been there. I too was wondering where they were and never got a satisfactory answer.

-JD

Michigan has he only horses that are fair to all shotguns. They have a flat top on them. As far as the rest of them I say burn them. Even with the saddle for doubles, they are a disadvantage for the double barrel shooters. They are the worst long gun prop ever. Well beside the scabard of course.

The cows/horses that were being used yesterday have had the saddles in the past. I don't know what happened for this shoot but they should have been there. I too was wondering where they were and never got a satisfactory answer.

-JD

J.D. I didn't ask so I didn't know if they had them or not. I thought I would suggest them if they didn't.

Colt, I haven't shot with the scabbards in a long time I think most have done away with them around here. I agree about a flat surface being more equal but if a club has a lot of these horses/cows I could see adapting some type of saddle to make it a more even playing field.

I like the varied options, just make them safe. Sometimes these horses and cows are safer than a rickety old flat surfaced table.

Hey Larsen....we must shoot alot of the same clubs!!!!!! I have yet to have a problem with the "wedge" for the SxS, I have however managed to prematurely close my SxS by hitting the edge of the table while picking it up! ( Yeah, I know....only me!) :blush:

I built 3 for our club and went one step further..I added a piece of 2" alum.angle iron to one front leg and one on the opposite rear leg, and had drilled a hole in each for a spike. Makes them very stable. What you must do is place your long gun instead of throwing it down.

That I like....For safety reasons...Its been accepted pretty well. Make sure the gun wells are deep enought and pad them well.

Hellfire

+ whatever the number might be. Home club has cows with saddles for the SxS shotguns; but we also use tables or shelves to stage rifles and shotguns.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Michigan has he only horses that are fair to all shotguns. They have a flat top on them. As far as the rest of them I say burn them. Even with the saddle for doubles, they are a disadvantage for the double barrel shooters. They are the worst long gun prop ever. Well beside the scabard of course.

That is exactly what we here in Nevada have done with ours as well.

They are still "Horsey" shaped and adding decorative flavor, but have a flat table top.

So no one has a staging advantage or downside (safer too).

Sometimes fair is fair. It's not just where they sell cotton candy.

That is exactly what we here in Nevada have done with ours as well.

They are still "Horsey" shaped and adding decorative flavor, but have a flat table top.

So no one has a staging advantage or downside (safer too).

Sometimes fair is fair. It's not just where they sell cotton candy.

I would be interested in finding plans for these horse/mule/steer shapes. Perhaps something on a gride that can be expanded to whatever size needed. WW

Couple of Clubs up here use Both, and I find them to add to the fun of the game ...

Jabez Cowboy

Same here, Jabez. I like to use these animals, upright racks, and tables when stage writing. Granted, I use tables the most, but I find it boring to use nothing but tables. The staging horses/cows and the upright racks add to the game. I am a double shooter and I never feel these are a disadvantage whatsoever.

How so? I shoot a double and think the horse/cow prop with the saddle is actually an ADVANTAGE. The gun is being held upright in the shooting position with the grip fully accessible. Unlike flat on a table where I have pick up and twist, with the horse/cow all I have to do is grap the grip and lift straight up to my shoulder with one hand while I'm pulling shells with the other. As my dear old Dad used to say, "Slick as cow slobber."

Same here, Jabez. I like to use these animals, upright racks, and tables when stage writing. Granted, I use tables the most, but I find it boring to use nothing but tables. The staging horses/cows and the upright racks add to the game. I am a double shooter and I never feel these are a disadvantage whatsoever.

+1 Okie puts on a great match and the variety he puts into everything, including where and how you stage your long guns adds a lot to the shoot. I really enjoy the different stagings and the horse/cow props. The only disadvantage posed to my double is that I am the one shooting it :lol:

I side with Colt on this one. Don't like them unless they have the flat top like MI. I shoot both a 97 and a SXS, if the shotgun is last I will use either gun, but if I have to restage it, it will be the 97 I don't have to rebalance it on the saddle I just jamb it in. And far as restaging a rifle to one I hate it as both a shooter and a RO. I have seen too many levers get closed on them, even after the shooter has left I've seen the rifle roll over and close the lever with the shooter already at the next position.

BT

Archived