SASS Wire Forum

campers and trucks...

Deja Vous

Before we went bigger, we used an Oldsmobile Bravada (same as a Chevy blazer) to tow a 21' travel trailer with pop out ends. It worked well, but mileage was not great. Got a 33 footer now and a GMC diesel. Diesel gets better mileage empty than the Bravada (18-21 MPG) and about 11-12 MPG towing a 33' travel trailer. Unless I really hit hard times, I would never go back to a gas truck to tow with. Remember: "Real trucks don't have sparkplugs".... :lol:

Hey DJ! Here's a small trailer that you may want to consider:

Trail Manor

The Trail Manor travel trailers are well built. A friend of ours who lives in Colorado Springs has one and they camp out all over Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona; and we camp out with them at least once a year for the last 5 years. Most recently at Creede Colorado.

Trail Manor

The Trail Manor travel trailers are well built. A friend of ours who lives in Colorado Springs has one and they camp out all over Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona; and we camp out with them at least once a year for the last 5 years. Most recently at Creede Colorado.

I've been around camping a few years and never heard anyone badmouth a Trail Manor trailer. They seem to hold up very well....

Just about any car can pull a small trailer. years back, I pulled a jayco jayfinch with a Plymouth Reliant (1987 vintage). It pulled and handled like a dream as I had a Class 2 receiver hitch on the car and cargo coil springs on the back.

Howsomever..... Stopping was another issue altogether..... I had to manually downshift the trans and leave a lot of space between me and the car in front of me. It was OK until some pinhead decides that the distance that you are keeping to allow for a safe stop is just right for him to pull in front of you and drop anchor....

if'n ya want a trailer with all the "comforts of home" . . ie. shower, hot water, kitchen, etc. . . think of a 5th wheel trailer. They are available reasonable . . . the friend that has the property next to "save a pet" got one that is in about 90% + condition for $ 1,500. Ya need a pick up truck in order to pull it. :)

Two years ago, we got a 37' 5th wheel (wife calls it the palace) and a 2009 Silverado diesel crew cab. I had a B&W hitch put in. IT'S THE BEST. I can remove the hitch and have an EMPTY truck bed.

TF

Trail Manor

Now that is pretty cool... I want used.. but I like the smaller size for me. I don't take up a ton of room for sure.

if'n ya want a trailer with all the "comforts of home" . . ie. shower, hot water, kitchen, etc. . . think of a 5th wheel trailer. They are available reasonable . . . the friend that has the property next to "save a pet" got one that is in about 90% + condition for $ 1,500. Ya need a pick up truck in order to pull it. :)

Tonque weight is???

TW is the weight of the hitch on the trailer coupler(ball).

For the most part you want 10% of the trailers weight on the hitch ;)

5th wheels will run much higher weight on the king-pin(coupler).

Cheers,

LG

TW is the weight of the hitch on the trailer coupler(ball).

For the most part you want 10% of the trailers weight on the hitch ;)

5th wheels will run much higher weight on the king-pin(coupler).

Cheers,

LG

Thanks Lumpys... I am still thinking about what to do... I think the drive might require a bigger car... so why not do a car that can pull... But then can I rent cheaper and drive a couple times a week to help out instead...

I guess I will know by Friday when his test come back in.... Funny how I have gone from Daddy's little girl to being that but being his help thru the darker parts of life.

While it hurts my heart to watch, the idea of not being there for someone you love is a lot more painful to me... At times he seems so tough.. other times he almost cries.... and it hurts.. My father can deliver a look that can bring me to my knees or that can make me so darn happy..lol... He has been the world to me since I was old enough to figure out who the heck he was.. lol... About 4 I guess.. lol...

My first day in school they sent me when I was going into first grade, the teacher doubted my age.. lol.. And Dad told them "she is smarter than any kid in your class, let her learn" lol... well, I could not tie my darn shoes .. yet he was so sure.. lol....

Anyhow .. the car is to make the trip if I need to back an forth.. for as long as it takes.... I will be there for him.. If it tows.. maybe I can use it later on....

Archived