SASS Wire Forum

campers and trucks...

Deja Vous

I am considering getting a different vehicle soon. But I want something that gets pretty good MPG, but can maybe pull a little camper and I mean LITTLE.. lol.. I like the little teardrop ones..and I am even like the A frame onces.. now they are little, huh? So, is there a smaller vehicle that can do that? What do you think?

I have seen vw beatles pull trailers so I would imagine about anything would pull a tiny trailer so then you need to see what appeals to you.... I myself would go for a small 4x4 the new vw diesel's get almost 50 mpg or s they are listed ..... you want new or used .... another factor to think about and your budget.

Thanks Grizzes... I sort of want one I can cook in and shower in.. lol... 'but still lightweight.. lol

I have seen vw beatles pull trailers so I would imagine about anything would pull a tiny trailer so then you need to see what appeals to you.... I myself would go for a small 4x4 the new vw diesel's get almost 50 mpg or s they are listed ..... you want new or used .... another factor to think about and your budget.

Well, I sort of want it to climb a moutain too.. lol.... The diesels sound interesting, but I did have a dodge cummins and I was not really sold on it. But I do like the 50 MPG..

You can cook in that one, kinda, the hatch opens on the end in the outside to access the galley :D

For a shower you could put water jugs on the roof to heat up in the sun, then run a hose down to an outside shower...with or without curtain. :D

Now if Those PT's ad or the HHR was a 4x4 ... that would be awesome

I don't think they have a tow capacity do they? I have seen the little older Toyota Trucks in AZ pull one horse and two horse bumper pulls... The one horse seems to be more in the range for it... Stopped on a Mountain would be tougher with a two horse .. lol

Deja, I've got a '11 1/2 ton Chevy Silverado 4X4 and I love it. Average MPG is about 22. Can't remember the technical name but it will kick down to 4 cylinders from 8 when you're going downhill or coasting. It can pull the little 2 horse stock trailer with 1 horse in it and you don't even know anything is behind you.

Tows better, rides better and gets better gas mileage than my previous vehicle which was a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Between the rebates and getting the employee discount (brother-in-law works at Allisons-division of GM) it was cheaper buying new than the used one we were looking at.

You ought to at least go test drive one and see if you like it.

And before all you Ford owners chime in, we got one of those too :lol:

You can cook in that one, kinda, the hatch opens on the end in the outside to access the galley :D

For a shower you could put water jugs on the roof to heat up in the sun, then run a hose down to an outside shower...with or without curtain. :D

And carry and umbrella in the rain, and a parka with long johns cuz I am cold all the time.. lol... Jugs on the roof, gosh a return to the campgrounds of Canada.. lol... I went up there when I was younger in Sept. The showers were solar... and it was cold darn it... And the unisex stuff kinda spooked me.. lol... I think we were around Quebec.. lol

Deja, I've got a '11 1/2 ton Chevy Silverado 4X4 and I love it. Average MPG is about 22. Can't remember the technical name but it will kick down to 4 cylinders from 8 when you're going downhill or coasting. It can pull the little 2 horse stock trailer with 1 horse in it and you don't even know anything is behind you.

Tows better, rides better and gets better gas mileage than my previous vehicle which was a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Between the rebates and getting the employee discount (brother-in-law works at Allisons-division of GM) it was cheaper buying new than the used one we were looking at.

You ought to at least go test drive one and see if you like it.

And before all you Ford owners chime in, we got one of those too :lol:

I spent my entire childhool listening to my Grandfather and my Father argue about Ford or Chevy.... Ford was fix or repair daily, and chevy was chevi leave it or chevi push it? lol So, I do understand.. lol while I have found both to be great trucks, I prefer Ford for its interior. Just me, doesn't make me correct, just makes me.... uh.... me.. lol

Not sure I want only 22 MPG on a 100 Plus trip per day... But if I have to get a bigger car, I decided I might as well get one that could pull a trailer so I can do that when I am ready to.

I spent my entire childhool listening to my Grandfather and my Father argue about Ford or Chevy.... Ford was fix or repair daily, and chevy was chevi leave it or chevi push it? lol So, I do understand.. lol while I have found both to be great trucks, I prefer Ford for its interior. Just me, doesn't make me correct, just makes me.... uh.... me.. lol

Not sure I want only 22 MPG on a 100 Plus trip per day... But if I have to get a bigger car, I decided I might as well get one that could pull a trailer so I can do that when I am ready to.

FORD = Found on the Road Dead .... or Fix or Repair Daily ... or Frigin Old Rebuilt Dodge

Chevrolet = Shove it over and let it Lay ....

lol I am A Chevy Man but I have an Explore (Good fer pullin lil trailers) and I had an F150 I loved that Truck, and I had a 61 t-bird with the Bullet body Style ....

but I have had Lots Of Chevys .... lil chevy luv truck (Junk) 64 Malibu SS Sweetest car i have ever had , 67 camero also sweet Vega gt (baby Camero), 2 61 covairs ..... ect ect .... Love Chevys

But I like em all Chevy Ford and Dodge out of all of em my favorite was the 64 SS I still Dream about that car....

DJ, get a small truck with the towing package ;)

It's the best choice in the long run. Put a cab-level shell on the truck.

Knowing you, I just know you will fill the trucks bed with extra stuff. :P

Besides, you will want a good lock-box for the guns so look at Americase, you could do a perm. mount in the trucks bed.

Cheers,

LG

Lets see now, I've owned 3 chevy trucks, a Ford truck, two Dodge trucks, a Mazda wanna be a truck, a Toyota truck, and for cars, Mercury, a couple of Chevys, no Ford cars, Toyotas, a Honda, Dodge mini vans, and probably a few I've forgotten about for one reason or another.

The current family fleet is a Dodge truck and mini van, a Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, and a Chevy Prism.

I drive a Ford Explorer SportTrac. It has a 6 cylinder engine, a crew cab and tows a trailer pretty well. It has a towing package on it and I put a Draw Tite trailer hitch rated at 5,000 lb. It's kind of a hybrid SUV/pickup truck. Its a great vehicle to drive to monthly shoots, plenty of room for a couple of pards and their gear. If ya want to tow something not too big it might work out for ya....just one more thing to look at.

Git yurself a ten wheel Mack diesel truck wif a Maxidine engine and a ten speed tranny in it.

Have it shipped to where ever dey bulit RV's der on da left coast. Here in da Mid-West, RV's are built in IN.

Git it built yur way.

Last time I had one, da diesel prices whar low and got bout 5.6 mpg.

Brother-in-out-law has one. He's a normal sized guy and he hates his. Said he has to git out everytime to do somethin ! :ph34r:

DV

I stopped and looked at one of the little trailers , about the only thing I can say about them , is it is a place to sleep , and they are WAY too much money for what you get IMO .

I looked at a 14 ft overall had a $5500 price tag , USED , I almost had a heart attack .

NO A/C , no water storage, not worth much , too me anyway .

CB

Yup, its more than a little claustrophobic. In most of them, there is no standing headroom, so if you want to move around you crawl over the bed to get from one side of the trailer to the other. Looked at several - they're cute as hell and look great when being trailered but I decided they just wouldn't work for me.

Yup, its more than a little claustrophobic. In most of them, there is no standing headroom, so if you want to move around you crawl over the bed to get from one side of the trailer to the other. Looked at several - they're cute as hell and look great when being trailered but I decided they just wouldn't work for me.

Its no different than when we were all younger and starting to date...Crawl into the back seat for...Well you remember...It was easy than and we were in a hurry...No room money...Just gas money...At 25 cents a gallon...Then we got gallons to the mile and today we want miles to the gallon...

Texas Lizard

Remind me again - what'd we use that back seat for? :rolleyes::o:rolleyes:

They say the mind is the second thing to go...

Deja, To get a shower and bathroom, heat and air, you are going to have to go up in trailer size.

There is no such thing as too much truck.

We are pulling a 19.7' Jayco, that meets our minimum standards, with a 1/2 ton 4.2L Dodge 4X4. The truck is not too big.

Our rig is a adequate for 2 but would be perfect for 1.

and DON"T forget the most important part, that everybody forgets, MAKE SURE your tow vehicle can STOP you and what you are towing

DJ, get a small truck with the towing package ;)

It's the best choice in the long run. Put a cab-level shell on the truck.

Knowing you, I just know you will fill the trucks bed with extra stuff. :P

Besides, you will want a good lock-box for the guns so look at Americase, you could do a perm. mount in the trucks bed.

Cheers,

LG

Thanks Lumpys.... I will have to look at those...

I drive a Ford Explorer SportTrac. It has a 6 cylinder engine, a crew cab and tows a trailer pretty well. It has a towing package on it and I put a Draw Tite trailer hitch rated at 5,000 lb. It's kind of a hybrid SUV/pickup truck. Its a great vehicle to drive to monthly shoots, plenty of room for a couple of pards and their gear. If ya want to tow something not too big it might work out for ya....just one more thing to look at.

Thank you I* wll consider it too....

DV

I stopped and looked at one of the little trailers , about the only thing I can say about them , is it is a place to sleep , and they are WAY too much money for what you get IMO .

I looked at a 14 ft overall had a $5500 price tag , USED , I almost had a heart attack .

NO A/C , no water storage, not worth much , too me anyway .

CB

Thanks Chicks.. theres an RV show coming up, and while I will not buy new at least I can get some idea about what is in what kinda camper..

I'm thinkin sleeping in one of them Teardrops would be like sleeping in a coffin. Regards, TJ :rolleyes:

have you been watching vampire movies again? lol....

lol.... you guys are tooooo much...

and DON"T forget the most important part, that everybody forgets, MAKE SURE your tow vehicle can STOP you and what you are towing

My dad said that ... electric brakes have been on all my horse trailers in the past, but when you have all that weight you do need to be able to stop going down a steep hill too. He also is big on duals on a horse trailer....

Make sure the vehicle has more than enough towing capacity. A 2000 lb capacity is not really enough for a 1900 lb trailer.

Gosh, now wait a second... I have 100 lbs left for my water, food, clothing, guns, friends ..and I can fudge just a bit right? lol.... Thanks...

Archived