SASS Wire Forum

Old west gold coins

I don't know much about the old gold coins of the old cowboy days. I've heard of $5 gold pieces and $20 gold pieces but how many gold coins were there and are there any today in sets?

Thinking of gold prices and future investments.

(Old US currency only)

I think they are few and far between as the US Govt took them out of circulation at one point, and you were supposed to turn them in. I could be wrong, I'm sure someone will speak up and slap me if I am.

I paid for my match today using 12 of the new 'golden dollar' coins. Fun way to pay for a shoot.

I dont know if they took em ot of circulation or tried .... i know there for a while the out lawed private ownership to 1oz or less ... think it was an oz .....and dont know about collections but i have seen the coins seperatly in several denominations i think a 1$ and some partial ones less than a dollar also california made like 1/10th dollar tokens for some strange reason but i do know us curancy they made 2 1/2 $ ... 5$ ..10$... 20$ and a 50$ gold piece i cant remember but the 20 or the 50 was suppose to be 1oz.... been a whlie since i messed with coins .... today they still make a limited minting of gold coins but a $5 gold piece (New one) was $350 last i check but it depends on gold price's but yo get em from the mint

Thanks! I just thought it would be cool to have these original old coins in a set and put it away for some time.

I only buy bullion coins . . . know nothing about collectables. But I'm sure any reputable coin shop can inform you about sets of old U.S. coins.

I did a google search using 19th century us gold coins as my search generator and found lots of good stuff. Start with that. Here are a couple I found particulr to your search:

http://www.raregoldcoins.com/articles/building-a-high-quality-19th-and-20th-century-us-gold-type-set-the-bvg-theory

http://www.coinweek.com/news/featured-news/the-magnolia-collection-of-early-u-s-gold-coins-late-19th-century-patterns-trade-dollars-and-more/

OOOooh! and THIS one:

http://www.usgoldcoins.com/coin_info/branch_mints/_gold_coins_of_the_new_orleans_mint_19th_century.html

Hope this helps out some.

Bodine

A bit of my gold

Griz

Your info is a bit outdated. The gold was taken outta circ. in the 1930's. Then folks were not allowed to own gold and were suposed to "turn it in". Hmmmmm.....

anyways get a good coin magazine ie CoinAge and Coin Values. You will see what all coins were made and what they are worth.

I have several of the California $1 and 1 1/2 dollar coins from 1856 and some 2 1/2 dollar coins from about 1912 and 1915. I think they are beautifu.

Please, if you plan on investing in gold coins (and I was told by a good friend in the buz. one should buy stuff because they like it more than for investment causes..) anyways if you plan on getting coins gold or silver. KNOW your dealer. find a coin dealer that has been around for awhile. Make sure he is member of the coin organizations and the local bbb etc.

and finally DO NOT buy coins from ebay, unless you are buying "reproductions" and at repro prices. Because you will more than likely going to get a repro when you buy the real deal. It has been said that at least 40% of the coins on ebuy at any given time are fakes...

the coins in the above pix are a few of my golds. The two in the front are the 2 1/2 dollar golds.

if you have any specific questions drop me an email and will try to get you an answer.

good luck

curley

Archived