SASS Wire Forum

My Dance Card is empty

What started out as merely adopting a stray dog in the neighborhood has until now served to fulfill my life for some three doggie generations removed. Toby, the stray Pit Bull, soon became my best buddy. Upon Veterinarian advise Toby was soon enrolled in a series of obedience classes, which he took to them like a Lab to water. Later graduating to the UKC obedience trial circuit I can't tell you how many Golden Retriever and Australian Shepherd owners Toby has pissed off.

His successes later lead to the addition of two more “purebred” Pit Bulls to our competitive family. Making their own Championship marks in confirmation, they were eventually bred producing a litter of puppies. You can imagine how coming home each evening and being greeted by a pack of the beast easily gave way to my SASS alias becoming “Dances with Pit Bulls”. Eventually those puppies would produce more puppies and some fifteen cold noses later I delivered one very special newborn name Meeza. At this point I considered my doggie dance card completely full if not overflowing.

Unfortunately life has a way of changing. My bestest buddy Toby died in my arms at age six from Cancer. Shortly after, Smokey was transferred to Maryland where he lives today with the exes sister and her hubby. Being originally from Kentucky I always doubted his true Southern loyalties ... the dog, not the husband. A divorce would split the family even further with three taken under the ex'es care leaving the oldest and youngest of the dogs to remain under mine.

Sadly, Grandma Tina was put down several years ago at thirteen suffering from a stroke and severe dementia. To her credit she retired obtaining three “Champion of Champions” wins towards becoming a Grand Champion like her father.

And finally we come to that special boy, Meeza. Though his show career was brief (Best Male Puppy and alternate Best Male at the UKC Nationals 1999) he had been my constant companion for twelve years and truly Daddy’s boy. Sadly, he passed Thursday night. Having delivered him as well as his Aunts, and Uncles, Mother, and Father, Sisters, and Brothers, my touch and scent were the first and last he ever experienced. I hope Meeza found some comfort in my arms at the end. My dance card is empty now.

Though many scoffed at their seemingly lack of watchfulness or reputation for ferocity I always felt my dogs had my back.

It is very hard to let one go. My pit is a good friend and has my back when any strange dog or person comes around. She has never gone after a person or dog.She is the most loving dog I have ever had. I have a 13 year old male lab that the pit take care of.I am very sorry for your lose.

Guest talon macleod 29883
:rolleyes: I was a guest at Bull,s house one morning after a Gun show .I can attest that his dogs were lousy guards .My Maltese is on better alert.Mike I know how attached and proud you were. Tal

Mike, I am so sorry for your loss. Meeza was a good friend and companion. I hope you will consider adopting another pitty at some point.

I still miss Toby every day. He was your buddy and you were his play toy. But he was a momma's boy. We had great adventures going to obedience trials and turning heads was one of his favorite things. He had no problem kicking butt in the ring. He knew why he was there and what he needed to do. He was an amazing boy. He showed the world that a "pit bull" was a wonderful dog to be owned by.

Having a pitty in one's life is a true gift. They have a wonderful nature about them, and they are a loving breed. I hope your dance card gets filled soon.

All the best,

Pitty

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

been there done that! doesn't get any easier

Rafe :FlagAm:

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

been there done that! doesn't get any easier

Rafe :FlagAm:

Rafe,

This chokes me up every time I read it.

Lost so many great pets.

Hope to see them some day again.

Not too soon though, cuz I ain't done havin' fun with the pets we have now.

Dances,

SO sorry to hear of your loss.

Don't let it stop you from gettin out there on the Dance Floor with another though.

Take some time for grievin' then find yourself a nice little pup to call your own again.

Heartfelt wishes for a speedy recovery, Pard.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Thank you for sharing your story.

I always thought your alias was interesting. I did not know how real it was.

Archived