SASS Wire Forum

Uberti Bisley Revolv er in 44/40

Come On Christmas

I have used the Uberti Bisley's for my first five years in CAS/SASS. They are in 44-40.

I would not suggest the Colt/Bisley clone if you are a squaw-gripper. I shoot Duelist and they are a great pointing revolver. For two handed use, there in not much room on the front side of the grip for your second hand. Two handed, they are a kunckle buster with full loads. The Ruger Bisley has more grip frame for two handed use. Colt designed the Bisley for one hand target shooting.

Mine are 5 1/2". I had the cylinder throats reamed so they now shoot .430" bullets.The bores are the modern 44-40 dimension of .429". I also had Bob James/ AKA Arizona Thumber do the action work on the pair.

For Duelist the longer barrels point better than a 4 3/4". I had a 4 3/4" Bisley and replaced it with a 5 1/2".

Just remember, if you buy a pair plan on keeping them for a long time. Not many Cowboys want or shoot Bisleys. Buy the same token, those who have them keep them. ;)

It is very simple, you either love them or hate them. :blush:

How do you like the gun? Does it cycle well? What length didya buy? What length didya think you should have bought?

Shameless

I have a pair of them. Nickel finish, 7 1/2" barrels, in .45 Colt. They work fine for me. Very accurate out of the box and both have good trigger pulls. I'd like a little lighter hammer pull though.

Howdy

One thing Lefty alluded to but did not mention was about the grip shape of the Uberti Bisley. As he said, it is the same shape as the original Colt Bisley and it was designed as a target pistol. But the forward sweep of the grip tends to make the gun point down. Target shooters in the 19th Century shot with one hand and many used a slightly bent elbow. With a bent elbow, the Colt (or Uberti) Bisley will naturally point straight ahead. But with a straight elbow like most modern target shooters use, the Bisley will tend to point down a bit. It takes a little bit of getting used to.

The Ruger version of the Bisley grip is quite different from the original, and it does not tend to point down when held with one hand and a straight elbow.

I have been shooting original Colt Bisleys for 20+ years and love them. They do not feel like an SAA, which freaks some out, but they have the advantage of not moving much in the hand when fired, which minimizes barrel rise. In addition, the Bisley hammer is much lower and easier to get a thumb on than an SAA hammer. I am kind of amazed that the fast boys have not moved to the Bisley for these reasons. I have never had a problem gripping them two handed and I have large hands. If you like the look and the feel, the Bisley (the Colt style Bisley, not the Ruger "bisley", which is entirely different and not as nice in my opinion (though I know there are folks who love them)) is a fine gun for SASS.

I had a pair in 5 1/2" barrels, .44-40. They were great guns they shot well but I just couldn't get used to 'em. I think they're fine for slow target shooting (which is what they were designed for) but for speed ya can't beat the old plow handles of a SAA. Just MHO, Rye

How do you like the gun? Does it cycle well? What length didya buy? What length didya think you should have bought?

Shameless

I shoot a pair (.45 Colt) in Classic Cowboy - double duelist style. 7.5" barrels. I like them. I am not fast but if style points are ever awarded I might pick up a few.

Bucky

I like my Bisleys a lot. They're .45 Colt instead of .44-40, but they're dang nice pistolas. I shoot CC, and I have stubby fingers, so the lowered hammer spur helps me shoot one-handed better than before...

Archived