SASS Wire Forum

SAA 22 revolvers

JD Trampas, SASS # 55781

Been thinking on getting a 22 revolver with the extra 22 mag cylinder, here are the choices:: Taylors Stallion, standard grip, $469.00, the Cimarron Plinkerton $231.00, this is just 22LR, so no mag cylinder, they do have some model P's in the configuration I want, around the $460 mark, then you have the Ruger Single six convertaible with both cylinders for $538

Which would you get and why???

All for now JD Trampas

Been thinking on getting a 22 revolver with the extra 22 mag cylinder, here are the choices:: Taylors Stallion, standard grip, $469.00, the Cimarron Plinkerton $231.00, this is just 22LR, so no mag cylinder, they do have some model P's in the configuration I want, around the $460 mark, then you have the Ruger Single six convertaible with both cylinders for $538

All for now JD Trampas

I have the Ruger and think it is the best!

I'd think the clear choice would be the between the Plinkerton and the Ruger. My own choice would be the Ruger, which will still be shooting when a gun with a more traditional action has been to the shop three times.

And I freely admit this doesn't reflect my competition choices -- I shoot a USFA and a Colt in CAS, but the Ruger is an improvement on the original design.

Howdy,

I bought a stainless 22 conv ruger some years back.

After a little while I just quit using the more expensive mag ammo.

If I shoot 22 mag at all, I shoot it in a rifle.

If you check around you will see that magnum ammo really doesnt

have real hitting power without a longer barrel.

I find stainless easy to clean and I can keep it in a holster.

Ruger just brought out a ten shooter, how would that be?

Best

CR

All for now JD Trampas

Based on the prices seen in your post, I'll assume you have an upper limit of $550.00.

If you look long and hard enough, you can get a Colt for less than that.

I've got three of them...

HK Uriah, no upper limit here, was just wondering about these is all, I for one have loved Ruger products from day one, just wondering about the others if any had any comments is all. I know about Colt having SAA in 22, they are pricey around this area and one other thing, you don't see very many at all, even at gun shows, when a person has a Colt SAA in 22, they keep it, they don't sell it. I was just thinking about a SAA in 22 is all for some plinking, we do have some cowboy 22 shoots around here is why I was inquiring. By the posts so far, everyone says to go with ruger, most likely if I get any, it will be ruger unless I can find some colts that I don't have to take out a bank loan on.

All for now JD Trampas

Roooooooger! Very pleased with my Single Six Convertible. Can't wait till they bring out the Single Ten in a Convertible 6.5"!

I've seen other SA 22LRs fail over the years. The Ruger just keeps on clicking. In addition, their Customer Service is superb.

Howdy, JD -

If you want a truly beautiful replica of the Colt SAA in .22LR and .22 Mag, see if you can find the Plinker model from USFA. If you have to order one from USFA, be prepared for a lengthy wait. And they are not cheap.

As mentioned in previous posts, you can shop Gunbroker.com for a Colt Peacemaker or Scout, and usually find a decent shooter for a decent price. I got a nice Peacemaker that way (came with both cylinders) for less than $500.

Just need to figure out what floats your boat.

Regards, TJH

I bought a brand new Ruger New Model Super Single Six with 6 1/2" barrel and both cylinders for about $75 NIB back in 1973, and it's still one of my favorite guns. I think the price has gone up some since then.

If you look hard in the gunshows you should be able to find old Ruger three screw models for between 3 and 4 hundred bucks. In my opinion these are the cream of the single action 22 guns. Some of the later models of these came with conversion cylinders to 22 Mag.

There are a couple of different grip frames for these guns but most of them have grips that are interchangeable with old model Vaqueros.

The ten shot model from USFA would be interesting but I've never actually seen one. Full size single actions in 22 are pretty heavy.

Sam, the USFA actually has 12 charge holes, not 10!!

The new Single Six is a 10 shooter, I think but I think it has those abominable fiber optic sights. Oh how I hate those things.

Uberti now has 10 shot Stallions in fixed and adj sight versions.

The Plinkerton is the worst piece of pot metal junk to ever wear the Cimarron name. Cimarron's guns are usually of the highest quality but not this one.

Whatever you do, if you see an RG model single action 22 LR, run don't walk away from it.

These were German made pieces of junk that were dangerous right out of the box.

That was my very first gun purchase ever. My choice would be for a couple of Colt 22's as well or Ruger. I have two Colt 22 New Frontiers but would not hesitate to pick up a Ruger.

I absolutely love my Ruger Single Six's. I shoot them every day when we are in Arizona and they have never caused a problem. Probably the best money I have ever spent on guns!

Also, Baaaaaaad Phil got a nice new .22 SA that he is happy with and it was a lot less $$. Take a look at his next time you're here.

The Plinkerton is a piece of crap - even a Heritage Rough Rider would be a better choice. The Stallion is a good platform, but the Ruger is even better.

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

I have a Ruger single six with the extra cylinder. It works great, recently I picked up a Heritage 22 with a birdheads grip and an extra magnum cylinder for $200. Its not a Ruger but my grandson likes it because it fits his hand better than the Ruger does.

I cannot think of one time in my life where "you get what you pay for" did not hold true.

I use a 4.5 inch Ruger SS Single Six .22 for practice. It was not the cheapest available. But I have no complaints.

If I want to use the .22 Magnum cartridge, I can. Sometimes I do, in the woods.

Life is short. Buy quality stuff.

I have a pair of .22LR Ruger stainless Single Six's that I practice in my basement with that are identical to my pair of "main match" .357/.38 spl stainless New Model Blackhawk's. Do you think if I used my Single Six's in a "main match" the spotters would notice? :rolleyes:

I have a pair of .22LR Ruger stainless Single Six's that I practice in my basement with that are identical to my pair of .357/.38 spl stainless New Model Blackhawk's. Do you think if I used my Single Six's in a "main match" the spotters would notice? :rolleyes:

Probably not; but the loading table officer would have a fine time with you.

Probably not; but the loading table officer would have a fine time with you.

Good point! LOL!!!! :lol:

I have a pair of .22LR Ruger stainless Single Six's that I practice in my basement with that are identical to my pair of "main match" .357/.38 spl stainless New Model Blackhawk's. Do you think if I used my Single Six's in a "main match" the spotters would notice? :rolleyes:

What do ya mean by "identical"? My 38's are larger frame than my 22's.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh . . . the only way you can tell is if you hold 'em side-by-side. ;)

Not sure about the other fellow, but my (OM) Single Sixes, (NM) Blackhawks, and (OM) Vaqueros all swap grips. They share grip frames, all using the XR3-RED if I remember right. Aside from obvious weight differences, the grips all feel the same.

As far as a 22 pistol, I swear by the Single Six with Colt's Frontier Scout running second. Granted, the Scout is more "cowboy". All the cowboy in the world doesn't change the fact that my Single Sixes are used as squirrel guns and the Scout is a soda can plinker. YMMV of course

Not sure about the other fellow, but my (OM) Single Sixes, (NM) Blackhawks, and (OM) Vaqueros all swap grips. They share grip frames, all using the XR3-RED if I remember right. Aside from obvious weight differences, the grips all feel the same.

As far as a 22 pistol, I swear by the Single Six with Colt's Frontier Scout running second. Granted, the Scout is more "cowboy". All the cowboy in the world doesn't change the fact that my Single Sixes are used as squirrel guns and the Scout is a soda can plinker. YMMV of course

Mine do too.

We have the Ruger Single Six in .22 convertible - nice shooting revolver.

Also have the Heritage Single Action in .22 convertible - have been pleasantly surprised with this revolver. I find that I can aim it easier and it is on target faster than our Ruger.

I have 3 Ruger Single Sixes, one is a Bisley that I got saw used at a fantastically low price. I have put literally thousands of rounds through them with no malfunctions or breakages. I think they are one of the finest firearms ever made. I'm a cheapskate, but this is one instance where I think the extra money is definitely worth it.

The only "problem" I have had with them is that since they are sized for adults, young kids can't use them easily.

I have two of the Heritage .22 with the LR and Mag cylinders. They are plinkers and what I use to get the kids started in CAS. The frame size on the single six is bigger and harder for the younger kids. By the time they can handle the single six they can handle a .38

So far these have held up pretty well considering the price.

I'm with Holden. I have two of the Heritage Rough Rider with the convertible cylinders. The young'un (Little Maverick) has been shooting them for less then a year and they're holding up great. For the cost, you could buy them twice (maybe three times) for the cost of the Roogers and Colts.

Well worth what I paid for them.

Archived