SASS Wire Forum

Shoot -BP - DIY -

Denver Don

Ok let me see a show of hands of how many of you make your Own Black Powder?

I was gonn try this and had a few recipes but read an article that said not to

use charcol but burnt black coals from from wood out of your fire ... and that

different woods work better. so i figured who better to ask then the soot lord pards

anyone have any good recipes they would car to share?

Ok let me see a show of hands of how many of you make your Own Black Powder?

I was gonn try this and had a few recipes but read an article that said not to

use charcol but burnt black coals from from wood out of your fire ... and that

different woods work better. so i figured who better to ask then the soot lord pards

anyone have any good recipes they would car to share?

Oh. sure build a huge fire close to your house.. lol... just kidding..

lol ..... couldd ask my cousin fer soom .... just had that big fire in texas .... missed his house by 40 yards .... State troopers mad him leave and he just now got back in after 6 or 7 days .... lucky to know fire or smoke damage but i bet he has some good coals out there ...

If you have any willow or alder trees in your area, collect some small branches, 1 or 2 inches in diameter. Then get an clean paint can, punch one 1/4 inch hole in the lid, and put your willow sticks in the can. Lay the can on a bed of coals. When you get a good smoke flow through the vent hole, ignite it. It will continue to burn. When it will no longer support flame, your charcoal is done.

You are correct in not using briquet charcoal. You can use lump charcoal, but chances are it is not willow or alder.

I put my charcoal in my ball mill for a couple of hours. It becomes very fine, finer than baby powder. Any chunks that don't grind down can be put back in your paint can.

BTW, someone will come along shortly and tell you that you are endangering not only yourself but your entire neighborhood when making blackpowder. All I'm gonna tell you is: if you cannot follow safety procedures, such as when reloading, don't make blackpowder. If you can follow safety procedures then you can safely make blackpowder. The following thread gives some good instructions: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=347898

If you have any willow or alder trees in your area, collect some small branches, 1 or 2 inches in diameter. Then get an clean paint can, punch one 1/4 inch hole in the lid, and put your willow sticks in the can. Lay the can on a bed of coals. When you get a good smoke flow through the vent hole, ignite it. It will continue to burn. When it will no longer support flame, your charcoal is done.

You are correct in not using briquet charcoal. You can use lump charcoal, but chances are it is not willow or alder.

I put my charcoal in my ball mill for a couple of hours. It becomes very fine, finer than baby powder. Any chunks that don't grind down can be put back in your paint can.

BTW, someone will come along shortly and tell you that you are endangering not only yourself but your entire neighborhood when making blackpowder. All I'm gonna tell you is: if you cannot follow safety procedures, such as when reloading, don't make blackpowder. If you can follow safety procedures then you can safely make blackpowder. The following thread gives some good instructions: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=347898

Why thank ya kindly thar pulp ......

Archived