SASS Wire Forum

BJT's TO test........

BJT

...and I choose "A"...if the shooter makes the wrong choice (unassisted) there is NO reshoot for "failure to coach" if the T/O and/or spotters don't know the right answer.[/color]

If the T/O and spotters don't know, how does anyone know if the shooter made the wrong choice? The way I'm looking at it, no P, no reshoot.

If I was the T/O and didn't know, I wouldn't be polling 3 spotters until after the string was complete. Three people shouting possibly 3 different answers adds to the confusion. If at least 2 spotters agree on a P, he gets a P, but they need to agree on where he messed up. Otherwise, no P. Benefit of the doubt goes to the shooter.

Just because the TO and or spotters didn't SAY, doesn't mean they don't KNOW.

And in the middle of a string interrupted it might not be obvious which target is next, but when the shooter finishes on the wrong target, it is obvious that they earned a P.

If the T/O and/or spotters don't know, how does anyone know if the shooter made the wrong choice? The way I'm looking at it, no P, no reshoot.

IF the T/O and/or spotters are counting shots fired...and the shooter fires the correct number of rounds but ends up on the WRONG target, it should be fairly easy to determine whether the targets were engaged in the proper manner.

It often happens that one or more spotters are too far away to assist in coaching the shooter as to which target to engage after the malfunction...either one of them could call the "P" if the shooter continued on the wrong target.

IF the T/O and/or spotters are counting shots fired...and the shooter fires the correct number of rounds but ends up on the WRONG target, it should be fairly easy to determine whether the targets were engaged in proper manner.

It often happens that that one or more spotters are too far away to assist in coaching the shooter as to which target to engage after the malfunction...either one of them could call the "P" if the shooter continued on the wrong target.

You da man! :)

I guess A is correct. But in the heat I tend to end up with C.

I think the reason is that I usually get it right, and in a split of a sec I usually try to help out whenever a shooter asks. But when wrong, I don`t have a problem with giving the shooter a reshoot.

Some will probably be able to argue about this being unfair, but the next time it could be you being saved.

My problem with A is that some TOs are so afraid to give improper coaching that they NEVER coach. I belive that is a bigger concern.

Just for the fun of it, I usually attend about 7 matches a year. I usually time a third of the posse in average. Thats about 5 shooters times 7 matches times 10 stages times 3 years? since the proper/improper rule came out. Thats close to 1000 stages. And I can only remember that I gave reshoots because of improper coaching about 3 times.......

I guess I`m sticking with C the next time as well.

Sorry Lads.

Wyatt and a few others were correct. A TO must first, do no harm. You should know the shot count and if you do not then you should give an answer. If the TO is wrong, the worst that happens is a reshoot. If the TO fails to answer a question he should know and plays dumb, the shooter is penalized. Give it your best guess with conviction and assist the shooter through the stage.

Very Best Regards,

BJT

Sorry Lads.

Wyatt and a few others were correct. A TO must first, do no harm. You should know the shot count and if you do not then you should give an answer. If the TO is wrong, the worst that happens is a reshoot. If the TO fails to answer a question he should know and plays dumb, the shooter is penalized. Give it your best guess with conviction and assist the shooter through the stage.

Monday morning quarterbacking and Wire TOing sure makes it seem easy.

Sorry Lads.

Very Best Regards,

BJT

Going to disagree with you on this one partner. My not knowing what the shooter's next target is not causing the shooter any harm. Although I will know the shot count, unless I forgot in the 15 seconds I was "assisting" the shooter, I may not know which target the shooter started on. I might but I might not.

I wouldn't want someone to think I intentionally gave a shooter bad advice to get the shooter a re-shoot.

Fillmore

A

The T.O. should indeed help the shooter safely through the course of fire. He or she is not suppose to cheat for the shooter by just giving him a target to shoot... and thus, providing protection from a "P" in the form of a reshoot if a call is made. If you don't know which target is next then say "I don't know", it does NOT mean that you were not paying attention, the T.O. has plenty to do, and will not always remember everything. You help the shooter if you can... you DO NOT make something up. I've seen that type of stuff with some of the Team Shooting that went on... where a spotter would yell something wrong in order to supply the shooter with reason for a reshoot. IMO... it is CHEATING if it is done on purpose.

Snakebite

So you would rather hang him out to dry rather than have some one fling unfounded slurs on your name? Some might call that cowardly.......

I can think of other words.

If coward is the word you choose, so be it.

Fillmore

...and besides...I got my re-shoot when the TO started helping me work on my rifle...unless he's a CERTIFIED gunsmith. ^_^

Fillmore

C.

Every day, all day long. Doesn't hurt anyone and, if the spotters yell out an answer that's wrong, the shooter eats the P as well as all the time spent clearing the jam. I've seen it happen too many times to let my spotters ruin some shooter's day.

Badlands Bud

I'm with you Bud

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

RO I page 5

Coaching is not considered RO interference and, therefore, will never be grounds for a re-shoot.

RO I page 22

Proper coaching or no coaching at all is not considered RO Interference and therefore will never be grounds for a reshoot/restart.

okay, how about this: Shooter pulls first pistol and fires 5 rounds, re-holsters and pulls second pistol for 5 more rounds, re-holsters second pistol, T/O says you only fired 4 rounds from second pistol so you pull it out and proceed show it is empty. T/O apologizes and offers you a re-shoot. I have had this happen several times. T/O's arent perfect.

Count out 3 shots on the targets and resume firing on the next. This depends on the details of the scenario..if it states start on the Left and commence sweep, then the direction is clear. If not shooter must continue as best he can and take any associated penalties.

Just my opinion...

DD

Just happend to me as a TO with a stove up shooter who was safe, but had trouble walking. Worked his share anyway, and when his rifle gave him fits, he asked for help. Every body lost track of where he was and we told him "start on 3". He wound up on the wrong target. Clean - no P was the call. Not sure it would have changed his standing, but a re-shoot would have been tough on him. I know life's not fair, but this was a case of common sense/compassion.

CR

Archived