SASS Wire Forum

Bought another 10 gauge

Three Foot Johnson

A gigantimongous Richland 711 hammerless double imported from Zabala in Spain. Good God a'mighty, this thing weighs in at 10 pounds, 11 ounces, and the fore end measures nearly 2 3/4" wide. :blink: There ain't a spot on my cart anywhere near wide enough or deep enough to hold it! :lol: The battle scars on the wood & metal aren't nearly as pronounced as they look in the pictures. If ya'll feel an earthquake tomorrow morning, it's just me touching off a few of them big long brass black powder shells in it. :)

Hey J Bar:

That wide fore end comes in really handy when you shoot an all shotgun stage with a dozen or so targets - there's nothing like full house 10 ga. loads to heat up the barrels. Try a cold weather shoot with it - you might have a volunteer (or two) to carry the thing to the unloading table for you...so they can stay warm!

Count Sandor

:D I have one very similiar to that that the prior owner chopped to 20". With 1.5 oz of shot and a LOT of BP it definitely booms and people behind me even say they can feel the concussion. And when I am feeling especially touched in the head or my times are becoming too low, I start tripping both triggers at once. Course there are very RO's eager to time me. :blush:

I have laid waste to west central Montana with some 3 1/4" brass hulls, a cup of black, and eighth pound of shot in each one. I am happy to report that the area sports no more Tyrannosaur, Stegosaur, Argentinosaur, and Myshouldersaur. :lol:

You need a hacksaw now! I love it when I get to pull both triggers at the same time. :lol:

Here is what it should look like after!!

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm163/buckeyeshooter1/10gadoublebbl001.jpg

You need a hacksaw now! I love it when I get to pull both triggers at the same time. :lol:

Here is what it should look like after!!

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm163/buckeyeshooter1/10gadoublebbl001.jpg

Now that would be a fun gun loaded with black

The barrels are just over 29 1/8", as stated in the auction description, so they've been cut sometime in the past. They should have been 32" originally, and choked full/full, as evidenced by the single star stamped on the underside near the breach end, but after steel shot came about, many were shortened to remove the fixed chokes so steel could be used. The chop job is very professional and properly done - this wasn't some yahoo out in the garage with a hacksaw and a rusty file who did this, and for its intended purpose at this phase of its life, cyl/cyl is just fine. I expect the chop job is why bidding stopped at $316 instead of $500+ like I've seen many of them go for. This is my 4th 10ga, and the only one w/o hammers and a twisty barrel. I've got 17 heavy walled 3 1/4" brass shells that won't fit my other three which I will use exclusively in this one with *shock & awe* loads. :lol: They're not RMC's but they're similar heavy walled, turned cases. I need 8-10 more and I'll be able to shoot a full match without switching to my supply of wimpy 2 5/8" & 2 3/4" originals. :lol: I guess a $100 bill to RMC for ten more would take care of that, eh? :blink:

MY SHOTSHELL LINKY

I am impressed! My 10 ga project is on a stagnant hold. I ran into a snag getting the old Remington hammered double restocked and may not see it completed till 2012 sometime.

Maybe I should look for a Zabala in the meantime too. :)

HERE'S ONE ending in seven hours that is only at $300 so far, but there is an undisclosed reserve, so who knows. HERE is another one listed with a BIN price of $489.

(edit) ONE MORE at $499.

I bought one of those Zabala 10 gauge shotguns from a fellow Cowboy shooter. It had already been shortened to 18 1/2" and had a big white bead put on the end. Thing weighs a ton and it's a challenge to find 10 gauge hulls and wads. It throws about 2 ounces of bird shot over a whole bunch of black powder. It is stiff to open, especially after the first 2 rounds. Something about my shoulder being knocked out of place, but that's ok cause I can't see the targets for about 10 seconds anyway cause of all the smoke. The fellars in the next bay said my 10 gauge was registering on their timer.

12 gauge....Boom Boom

10 gauge.....Whooooom Whooooom

I had one of those back in the late 70's. It was choked fuller and fullest. I hand loaded #4 buckshot with a Lee Loader and a mallet. I used it for geese and sandhill crane. It would definately reach up there. Not something you want to lug around.

I don't know...a shotgun without xposed hammers just don't seem right. :wacko:

:wub:

Right now, that's the only thing stopping me from buying one. At $300-500, the price is right and the links show shotguns that seem to be in good shape. Yum, tasty!

I don't know...a shotgun without xposed hammers just don't seem right. :wacko:

:wub:

My other three 10's have hammers... well, 5 hammers between them... one is more or less a parts gun, but I think I can get it up and running if I ever put my mind to it... it works OK as a double barreled single shot! The one I bought from you is the best shooter of the two, cuz the other one doesn't eject very well - gonna have to take the brake cylinder hone to it. AND I've got a 20 or two with hammers, as well as five 12's. :)

(edit) Upon further contemplation, I've got at least six 12's w/hammers; 2 TTN's, 2 Riversides, and 2 Rossi Overlands, one w/long barrels, and one in a coach gun configuration. :)

My other three 10's have hammers... well, 5 hammers between them... one is more or less a parts gun, but I think I can get it up and running if I ever put my mind to it... it works OK as a double barreled single shot! The one I bought from you is the best shooter of the two, cuz the other one doesn't eject very well - gonna have to take the brake cylinder hone to it. AND I've got a 20 or two with hammers, as well as five 12's. :)

(edit) Upon further contemplation, I've got at least six 12's w/hammers; 2 TTN's, 2 Riversides, and 2 Rossi Overlands, one w/long barrels, and one in a coach gun configuration. :)

pretty well fixed on side by sides. I'm fighting the urge to get another 'spanish' 10 and have it rebored to 8ga. An 8 ga sawed off would be way way cool. :lol:

Archived