SASS Wire Forum

Colorado

Denver Don

This is some of the Property In Colorado I had been Looking At ... The first 8 Pics are Up in Gunnison County, just west of Petkin and about a 1/2 a mile from Cameltown, a little know ghost town ... well Petkin is on the list of ghost towns but people still live there. The next 9 pics are down in southern Colorado North East of La Junta. and the last 3 are in the Mountains Not Far From Boulder but it seemed like a scam so I blew it off ... and the property i think i am going to be gettin i missed placed the pics ... must be in other computer... but those are a place West of Denver and a Mile or so South of Georgetown, The Problem with the first one is all original cabin from 1892 and over 12,000 feet... gets snowed in about 3 months of the year. Also if ya Click on the pics it will blow them up and yo can go through them one at a time

Sorry, DD, its facebook and they won't let me in. Says the content is either unavailable or I do not have permission to look at it.

Good luck in your property hunt - I'd like a place in Colorado myownself.

This is some of the Property In Colorado I had been Looking At ... The first 8 Pics are Up in Gunnison County, just west of Petkin and about a 1/2 a mile from Cameltown, a little know ghost town ... well Petkin is on the list of ghost towns but people still live there. The next 9 pics are down in southern Colorado North East of La Junta. and the last 3 are in the Mountains Not Far From Boulder but it seemed like a scam so I blew it off ... and the property i think i am going to be gettin i missed placed the pics ... must be in other computer... but those are a place West of Denver and a Mile or so South of Georgetown, The Problem with the first one is all original cabin from 1892 and over 12,000 feet... gets snowed in about 3 months of the year. Also if ya Click on the pics it will blow them up and yo can go through them one at a time

Very cool..but then I have a weakness for cabins. My dream has been a cabin with a stove, a outside shower (who knows why).. lol.. And a porch.. I love that stuff..

Very cool..but then I have a weakness for cabins. My dream has been a cabin with a stove, a outside shower (who knows why).. lol.. And a porch.. I love that stuff..

this one has a cook stove ... well dont know where the out house went but it needs one and the loft is kewl too has a porch but its not covered .... cover the porch ad a hitchen post a rockin chair and an out house .... but 12000 feet ... gonna have mighty cold nights ...

12,000 feet is the tree line in Colorado. If you have any trees, they will be stunted and small cuz of the cold wind. I might like to breath a little better at about 5000 ft. too. Just sayin'

Big Jake

this one has a cook stove ... well dont know where the out house went but it needs one and the loft is kewl too has a porch but its not covered .... cover the porch ad a hitchen post a rockin chair and an out house .... but 12000 feet ... gonna have mighty cold nights ...

Rocking chairs are my favorite because I like to move all the time.. lol lofts are pretty neat... I love to look out over God's country... 12.000.. feet a bit too high.. cold nights is no the whole problem... My fahter has a pacemaker.. he can't go up into heights... he could have a heart attack.. So every place I look at I have to think if dad can come over or not.. lol

12000 ft is awfully high.

You get about 2 days of summer at 12,000 ft. And it's more like fall.:lol:

WEll the one at 12000 has its up and downs ... i like the cabin, and its 11 acres in the middle of a national forest ... and it also has a gold mine on the prooperty .... wonder how long it would take to get gold fever and become a hermit then get over it again..... probably tell the weather got bad ... lol the other property has a little lake or a large pond and guess it depends on how ya look at it ... its in la junta way lower altitude .....and its 72 acres .... no buildings cabins or nothin but wouldnt have to worry if ya forgot to check the horse's water :) could build a nice place there and 72 acres got room fer a shootin range ....wold rather be further north but its nice too..... course then there is the wife she dont like either of em cause it would take more than 15 min to get to walmarts er meijors ... dang city slickers .... ooops i didnt say that ...

Interesting places ya bin lookin' at. You thinkin' of a permanent home in one ? . . . or just a "get a way" cabin ? :)

Livining in a cabin was GREAT :excl:Mine :)

Wanting to Relocate to Colorado ..... That where I consider Home

but if I got that Cabin it would be a summer place, The Current

owner said there is about a 3 or 4 month period during the year

that you cant even access it .... The one in La Junta looks like

It Would be Nice ..... my wife is really wanting closer to town though.

My Sister been trying to get me back out to the High Desert .....

La Junta is a long way from anywhere. Man should not live below 5000 feet. Front range has lots of good shooting, from Pueblo to Cheyenne. I lived at 8000 feet for 5 years in Colorado, it's a long hard winter and can snow in July and August. Compared to Ohio it's probably worth putting up with long winters. I'd suggest visiting in every season before making a decision on purchasing a place.

Good Luck,

LL'

:lol::lol: Partner, there are just some things that shopping by price alone will get you. You've just given an example of 3. :blush:

1) You've obviously never been to La Junta or you wouldn't even be thinking about it.

2) Gunnison county has Colorado's records for coldest temps and highest snowfall all sewed up every year without exception. 12,000 feet? Might as well be Mt Everest.

3) Anything around Leadville (west of Denver and a mile or so south of Georgetown) will only by accessible July, August and part of Sept. Making it a darn expensive property by usable days.

Since CO has everything from plains with nary a tree for miles (La Junta) to snow so deep you need a helicopter to access it, could I suggest a realtor or at least a visit before making your list?

La Junta is a long way from anywhere. Man should not live below 5000 feet. Front range has lots of good shooting, from Pueblo to Cheyenne. I lived at 8000 feet for 5 years in Colorado, it's a long hard winter and can snow in July and August. Compared to Ohio it's probably worth putting up with long winters. I'd suggest visiting in every season before making a decision on purchasing a place.

Good Luck,

LL'

I was Raised in Denver and Colorado Springs ..... was in the Springs tell i was 19

then in the Service ...... ... I like the Weather there .... I think its really worse here.

In Colorado when it gets Cold it Gets Cold ..... In Ohio when it get Cold it Chills ya to the bones ...

Either That or I'm Just gettin old ..... naaaaahhhh that cant be it! :)

We live about 25 miles SE of downtown Colorado Springs, and the LaJunta property is SE of us. I was impressed that there was WATER on the property, because it is DRY out this way. DRY as in 1.15" of ANY kind of moisture from October 15, 2010, to July 15, 2011. The nearest CAS clubs would be Pueblo West, only which shoots in the Spring and Fall, and Rockvale, SW of Florence. These would be, I guess, 2 to 2.5 hours from there.

Mountain Property is nice! One should cut back the trees for 200' around any structure you build so you don't lose it all in a fire.

5,000 feet, Big Jake? I live out on the high plains, mountains are 30 miles away ~ and I'm at 6,500'. It is almost not possible to live in Colorado below 5,000'.

Good luck in your search! I would first take a highliter and mark the location of the SASS clubs in Colorado, though. There are a bunch of good ones on both the Front Range and the Western Slope.

Buena suerte, amigo

eGG

:lol::lol: Partner, there are just some things that shopping by price alone will get you. You've just given an example of 3. :blush:

1) You've obviously never been to La Junta or you wouldn't even be thinking about it.

2) Gunnison county has Colorado's records for coldest temps and highest snowfall all sewed up every year without exception. 12,000 feet? Might as well be Mt Everest.

3) Anything around Leadville (west of Denver and a mile or so south of Georgetown) will only by accessible July, August and part of Sept. Making it a darn expensive property by usable days.

Since CO has everything from plains with nary a tree for miles (La Junta) to snow so deep you need a helicopter to access it, could I suggest a realtor or at least a visit before making your list?

Yea I lived in Denver and the Springs .... My Wife like them place's ..... Gunnison and San jaun are 2 places my Dad always told me to stay away from ..... he said a nice place to visit in the summer but dont ever ever move there .....

and I think the only Time I was in La Junta .... I dont think i ever been there ..... but I was worried about gettin places to far east and being in tornado alley! and I think that might be pretty close .......

Should Listen to what my dad said though ..... and of course all the info i'm a gettin from the Saloon ... :)

The only county on which there have been no records of tornadoes since they started record keeping in the 1940's is Larimer county. Larimer lies up north from about Berthoud to the WY border and west to the divide including Estes Park.

Tornadoes and huge t-storms often form here but then touch down in neighboring Weld county.

Living in Denver and Co Spgs qualifies you to an impression of CO like living in Manhattan does to New York state.

If I was going to do it based on SASS clubs... I'd live in Loveland/Ft. Collins or maybe Greeley. UB has it right about the Western Slope with some tip of the hat to the Front Range for KULCHUR (add traffic, airport, etc.)

Depends on what you're looking for but if you want to shoot there aren't better places in the entire USA than Pawnee Station, Briggsdale Shootist, Cheyenne Regulators, Boulder Rifle Club, Colorado Cowboys, Thunder Mtn (Grand Junction isn't that far.), you can shoot every weekend all year round.

I'm in the cold weather clothing business so I'm out in it for a living. The coldest I've ever been was on a motorcycle in May on a ride from NY through OH. Ice was forming on my glasses and leathers. I swear it wasn't under 35 degrees.... but that lake ... MAN OH MAN!

A nice sunny 20 degree day here can be a great day to shoot and we'll often have 50-70 shooters.

Me? I'm spending this winter in TX! B)

Interesting places ya bin lookin' at. You thinkin' of a permanent home in one ? . . . or just a "get a way" cabin ? :)

so your from this neck of the woods huh? .... I like that cabin .....always thought that would be fun to build your own ...

Yeah, REALLY west slope.

At 500 feet. No snow.

500 feet? I thought the air was too thick to breathe down there! :lol:

Living in Denver and Co Spgs qualifies you to an impression of CO like living in Manhattan does to New York state.

B)

Yup. That Interstate Corridor is a whole 'nother world. :lol:

La Junta, (the junction) I've read this thread and will say lJ aint to bad, Born on a ranch west of Lj on hy10 before ww2, moved to Va in 85, still have kin there, go back when we can, still have some land up west of Cos, weather in LJ aint what most folkx say, maybe once in every 10 years ya get to much sno, but ya diont have to wory bout rain,,, be sure n eat aw lota cantolope... lotsa real GOOD mex food

La Junta, (the junction) I've read this thread and will say lJ aint to bad, Born on a ranch west of Lj on hy10 before ww2, moved to Va in 85, still have kin there, go back when we can, still have some land up west of Cos, weather in LJ aint what most folkx say, maybe once in every 10 years ya get to much sno, but ya diont have to wory bout rain,,, be sure n eat aw lota cantolope... lotsa real GOOD mex food

CANTALOUPES IS KILLIN PEOPLE!! THEY GOT THAT HYSTERIA ALL OVER EM. :blink:

CANTALOUPES IS KILLIN PEOPLE!! THEY GOT THAT HYSTERIA ALL OVER EM. :blink:

:lol:^_^:lol:

Yep! People buy fruits and veggies and never a thought maybe to washing before slicing. Or they'll cut chicken and produce with the same knife. Netted melons aka cantaloupe need a good scrubbing. A little clorox in the water doesn't hurt anything either.

Wolfees that brings a hoot to mind.. lol... That was so darn much fun.. btw I still have the lamp I made.. lol... Want me to ship it to ya? Not a chance I love the crazy thing.. lol

Wanting to Relocate to Colorado ..... That where I consider Home

but if I got that Cabin it would be a summer place, The Current

owner said there is about a 3 or 4 month period during the year

that you cant even access it .... The one in La Junta looks like

It Would be Nice ..... my wife is really wanting closer to town though.

My Sister been trying to get me back out to the High Desert .....

All I can say is you and your wife better buy some flannel sheets.. lol

The only county on which there have been no records of tornadoes since they started record keeping in the 1940's is Larimer county. Larimer lies up north from about Berthoud to the WY border and west to the divide including Estes Park.

Tornadoes and huge t-storms often form here but then touch down in neighboring Weld county.

If I was going to do it based on SASS clubs... I'd live in Loveland/Ft. Collins or maybe Greeley. UB has it right about the Western Slope with some tip of the hat to the Front Range for KULCHUR (add traffic, airport, etc.)

Depends on what you're looking for but if you want to shoot there aren't better places in the entire USA than Pawnee Station, Briggsdale Shootist, Cheyenne Regulators, Boulder Rifle Club, Colorado Cowboys, Thunder Mtn (Grand Junction isn't that far.), you can shoot every weekend all year round.

I'm in the cold weather clothing business so I'm out in it for a living. The coldest I've ever been was on a motorcycle in May on a ride from NY through OH. Ice was forming on my glasses and leathers. I swear it wasn't under 35 degrees.... but that lake ... MAN OH MAN!

A nice sunny 20 degree day here can be a great day to shoot and we'll often have 50-70 shooters.

Me? I'm spending this winter in TX! B)

Didnt Know that about the Tornado Records, When I lived out in Denver it wasnt actually in Denver but South of there. I was On the South edge of Arapahoe County, just South of Arapahoe Rd and just a stones through north of County line Rd. the South Side of County Line was Filled with a huge herd of buffalo To the west of me where some wild Mustangs, This was Around 1970 or 71, Also The North side of County Line road was a big crevice or ravine ... with motorcycle trails and people would go shooting down there I came back one day with a pocket full of 50 cal brass at the time I had never seen shells that big, Heard of Tornado watch but they where always east of us or south east, never heard of any where i was .... but there wold be some little 20 foot Dust Devils down at the motorcycle trails and we would ride are bikes through em... at the Time I had an Aunt in Elizabeth who's Neighbor lost a House Trailer to A Tornado.

(Summer of 2000 i took the family out there. went to show em the Buffalo and the mustangs and all i could find was houseing platt...shopping centers, Strip malls, for miles never did find them buffalo ..... Out there somewhere)

In the Springs I lived North East of town Going Towards Black Forest Out on Rattlesnake Hill This is a Newer Sat pic of the Old House ... Center of pic is the house and Garage ad the Barn to the left of that and the trees around the property where there before all the other stuff and the house and pool on the right was horse pasture.

I Like the Area by UB ... was in cortez in 74 or 75 nice little town reminded me of American graffiti .... shur it grew since then. Bigest Problem is the Wife .... if it was just me I would take the Cabin At 12000 and get snowed in .... would love it! But the Wife would shoot me with one of my own guns ..... Got to make the wife Happy so I figured 10 - 15 min outside of some town would be a good compromise. That or A Little Town not to far from wallyworld

Archived