SASS Wire Forum

Leather workers, school me a bit...

Grizzly Dave

So I need to make a 'belt extender' for my loaner belt. I figure I can salvage a buckle from an old belt. I found some leather working stuff in a box my mom dug out of her basement, must have been from when I was a kid and did a little leather work. So I have a belt blank that should work, a punch with the rotery cutter head, what looks to be either a snap or rivit tool and pieces of same, and of course several stamps.

So, I guess my questions are as follows...

Do I need to oil that old leather before folding it back on itself where the buckle goes?

How many snaps or rivets or whatever should I use to hold that together?

If I need an inner keeper loop for a double belt (forget what that style is called) how to I fasten that loop together? I figure once it's together just slide it on before the rivets or whatever will keep it on the belt.

What else do I need to know but don't know to ask?

Thanks

Grizz

Well, it'd be easier if I could show ya. I usually do coat the leather with neatsfoot oil before bending it if it is dry or fresh tanned leather. Helps to keep it from cracking. Depending on how wide the belt is and what size your rivets are, two side by side usually is enough if you are riveting the back-fold and not stitching it. I do more stitching than riveting myself. On the loop, butt splice and punch holes directly across from each other and stitch it butt-to-butt. Slide that in place before you set rivets or stitch the turn back down. make sure you have enough travel fin the buckle tongue before you rivet/stich the turn back too.

Hope this helps some.

Bodine

Now if the main belt is one of the double ones, you know with the inner belt that slides under the buckle and the outer piece that fastens into the buckle, should my extender be the same? Or does it really not matter?

Stitch huh, found some leather shoelace lookin things in the box, but that's about it, think they were for a purse kit I might have been making for a possibles bag at one time...still has a pre punched side of the purse in the box, I think I cut the other side up to use for ears for a wooden rocking horse I made a few years back.

So I need to make a 'belt extender' for my loaner belt. I figure I can salvage a buckle from an old belt. I found some leather working stuff in a box my mom dug out of her basement, must have been from when I was a kid and did a little leather work. So I have a belt blank that should work, a punch with the rotery cutter head, what looks to be either a snap or rivit tool and pieces of same, and of course several stamps.

So, I guess my questions are as follows...

Do I need to oil that old leather before folding it back on itself where the buckle goes?

I wouldn't... I'd perhaps soak it in water to "loosen it up" a tad if necessary - but oil will make the leather very supple - as in limp! :rolleyes:

How many snaps or rivets or whatever should I use to hold that together?

Well.... that's kinda subjective! No fewer than two and more likely four - shouldn't need more unless there's a good deal of stress and strain on the leather... When done use a bit of non-oil treatment... could be "elmers in water" base or even a neutral or colored wax (think shoe polish!) :)

If I need an inner keeper loop for a double belt (forget what that style is called) how to I fasten that loop together? I figure once it's together just slide it on before the rivets or whatever will keep it on the belt.

I allus punch two to four holes in each end and stitch the ends together with waxed flax or "artificial sinew."

What else do I need to know but don't know to ask?

Oh... you'll think of sumpin'. It's gonna turn out just fine~! ^_^

Thanks

Grizz

So, you can add a section in and use two buckles.. how cool is that? two silver buckels.. now that makes me jealous.. but you get to put one on each side. VEry cool...

Most craft stores have waxed linen thread in small spools. That's what I use the most.

Is your inner belt wider than your buckle and tounge straps? Mine is. I am looking at it now. Wish I could show ya a drawing or the picture. I have not built a holster of my own yet but saddle/tack/harness stuff is second nature for me. Been building shooting bags and mountainy-man , coloniail gear for a looooong time now. Anyhow, the belt piece that holds the buckle is stitched and riveted on this model. Outer edge stiched and a rivet in the center. The loop keeper is actually riveted in place with the two rivets holding the fold-back for the buckle down on this one. It goes around that wider "inner" belt underneath the buckle.

Clear as mud? ;):D

Bodine

That is the plan Deja, can't afford to have more than one loaner belt, and I bought it small enough that it fits my son at it's smallest, but at it's largest it doesn't fit the folks I've tried to have use it, so need another loaner, or an extender.

Is Billeted the term I'm looking for on a belt that slides the main leather behind the buckle, and has another piece on top that gets fastened?

Dang, I can see how making this one little project could spin out of control, next thing ya know I'll be finding a leather working supply place and buying more tools and supplies.... :D

I have a question for you; can you replace the tongue piece with holes (goes into the buckle) in it with a longer one with more holes in it or would that make it shift too far to one side? Actually two questions; is the inner belt still going to reach the keeper loop with the extension?

Bodine

Tandy stores used to be great sources of info, held classes and everything. Used to got to the one in Raytown, MO an awful lot until it closed down. great folks and always helpful. Take the belt with you and I'll bet they can talk you right through it.

Bodine

LOL, I knew someone was going to ask that question, and the short answer is I don't know. It's out in the trunk of the car and I'm too lazy to go get it this late at night. :D

I think it is a billeted belt, if that's the right term, but I'm not sure. If it is, I highly doubt the inner belt would reach.

The beauty of the extender is that with it, the belt will be usable by my son as is, and by other folks with the extender. Dang kid is a stick, obviously he didn't inherit my metabolism or eating habits.

I'll take a look at the belt tomorrow and let cha know. I want to leave it in the trunk though in case someone needs it at the match Saturday, I'm a weird one, I take leather and ammo for two even when it's just me shooting.

That is the plan Deja, can't afford to have more than one loaner belt, and I bought it small enough that it fits my son at it's smallest, but at it's largest it doesn't fit the folks I've tried to have use it, so need another loaner, or an extender.

Is Billeted the term I'm looking for on a belt that slides the main leather behind the buckle, and has another piece on top that gets fastened?

Dang, I can see how making this one little project could spin out of control, next thing ya know I'll be finding a leather working supply place and buying more tools and supplies.... :D

So, my plan is a buckle on EACH side.. with a blank inbetween. You can increase the size or decrease the size... And it looks cool.. jmho.. but then things that glitter catch my eye.. lol

Grizz

Depending on how much you want to add . the Simplest way I can think of is to cut the belt in the middle and use CHicigo screws to secure the extention on both sides .

I would use 3 to a side , of corse this might not be easy to do , if the loops are in the way .

This way the rig will retain some sembleance of balance .

CB

Or, keep the small belt for your son, get one of these kits, and find out how much fun leather working is. This kit has the buckle and all leather parts pre-cut. It has slots and the leather for bullet loops. For the price of the kit, it's not bad.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/department/Kits/Gun-Holster-Kits-Gun-Belt-Kits/44449-01.aspx

I'm not sure I'd trust old leather that has been in a box for years anyway.

C.J. - that ain't a bad idea! I may do that eventually, right now I'll probably have a go at an extender with what I have on hand, won't cost me anything but time, and I got way more of that than I do money these days.

Grizz

I was thinking , Ya I know that is a bad thing , for a loaner belt , WHY don't you get a 2in belt blank to make one up ?

For extra cartages use a slide , get one in 38 and one in 45 , that will cover most shooters , you can also put a S/G slide on it .

Just a thought , It would be a lot easier than trying to set up an adjustable rig .

CB

Archived