SASS Wire Forum

Got my 1911 back from the gunsmith, and the cracked barrel.

Pulp, SASS#28319

I reckon I'm lucky it wasn't any worse.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/BlackPowderPulp/PIC_0664.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/BlackPowderPulp/PIC_0666.jpg

It had to have been a stuck bullet, followed by a normal load. I still haven't learned how a 1911 can cycle with a load too weak to push a bullet out of the barrel.

Barrel and bushing.

I reckon $112.00 is much cheaper than a trip to the ER, so I can't complain too much. :lol:

A local gunsmith did the work for me, he's very good on 1911's. Springfield wouldn't take it on warranty, because I wasn't gonna lie and tell them I was shooting factory loads.

Glad it worked as well as it did.

I got me one of the Springfield 1911 A1s also.

Should take it out and run it through it's paces.

Soooo many guns and so little time.

I got time, but not enough guns or ammo, send it out here and I'll shoot it :D

Providing the stuck round scenario is what happend (and that sounds like what it was): When the weak round stuck in the brrel the pressure left behind the bullet had nowhere to go but back, so it would still cycle the slide, allowing the next round to chamber.

Bodine

Providing the stuck round scenario is what happend (and that sounds like what it was): When the weak round stuck in the brrel the pressure left behind the bullet had nowhere to go but back, so it would still cycle the slide, allowing the next round to chamber.

Bodine

Yep that is the answer, either the action cycles or the mag blows out. Thank God no one was hurt

Pulp, pard,that is a good way to be called Stumpy for more than one reason :P .

Mayhaps you might want to look into being a bit more careful ;)B) . Just a mite, maybe. Just on occasion, only mind you. Not that I'd be mindin' your business or anything. That's just a suggestion.

Pulp,

I have the twin to that barrel sitting on my reloading bench as a reminder to slow down when reloading. I was shooting at an indoor combat competition at the time with shooters going on both sides of me, so never heard or felt any difference with the shot. I had a heck of a time getting that gun apart with the blown barrel.

GW

Archived