SASS Wire Forum

Winter Beard?

Blue Steel Duke

True to form for Indiana, we've gone from temps in the 90's to an expected low tomorrow night in the 30's, and that's usually my sign from above to start the winter beard, that and the approaching Deer season. I know some of the pards (Grizz, Mosey n Sloe, and others) sport one year round, but anyone else have a "seasonal" one like mine? ;)

BSD

Some years I go down to a short cropped goatee, but sometimes I'm too lazy for that, I really don't like shaving.

I got the full beard trimmed real short back in July in an attempt to beat the heat, I reckon I'll let it grow til some time next year.

Yup....full beard in da winter ta keep the cheeks warm. Usually start in mid October.

In da spring, summer and early fall Fumanchu wif soul patch.

CPK

I decided not to grow mine this year. :lol:

(Sorry I have put the smar a$$ hat on today)

Even if ya did Miss Meg, you'd still be a beauty! :blush:

BSD

I were a stash and goat all year TILL HUNTING SESSION then i let her grow !!

GOD BLESS THE USA !!!

I keep my "chin-pet" year round due to the missus' orders. Not allowed to shave it off. No 'stache, due to a scar it won't grow right. I get full-face wooly starting in late september and that goes away when the snow melts.

I enjoy shaving, and enjoy feeling "clean" shaved. I think the greatest feeling I have all year is the relief of getting rid of the beard in spring. Makes me feel like a new man. And if I'm working indoors or simply get tired of it, I wind up growing it out twice.

This year might be different. I'm getting more salt in it and not liking that a darned bit.

True to form for Indiana, we've gone from temps in the 90's to an expected low tomorrow night in the 30's, and that's usually my sign from above to start the winter beard, that and the approaching Deer season. I know some of the pards (Grizz, Mosey n Sloe, and others) sport one year round, but anyone else have a "seasonal" one like mine? ;)

BSD

thought I might perm mine and bleach it blond to offst the dark hair I have.. And I am considering wax too... not the normal kind for me.. but the kind that you guys use.. lol... Maybe braid here and there.. lol

Had a moustache for probably going on 10 years. Did the seasonal beard for the past two or three. This year went with the goatee. Was warm in the winter, and in character for SASS. It was whitish-grey, sort of like Tommy Lee Jones as Captain Call. Until ......

I was on vacation the first week of June. One night my wife and I went out to dinner.

Standing at the podium where the sign says "Please Wait To Be Seated", this perky little girl comes up and asks "How many?".

My wife replies "Two".

Little girl says "Oh, you and your Dad out for dinner. How nice!".

My wife started to say something, and I put my hand on her arm and whispered "Just let it go".

Dulled two razors the next day getting back down to clean lip and chin.

Nothing like a sassy waitress to put things in perspective.

I decided not to grow mine this year. :lol:

(Sorry I have put the smar a$$ hat on today)

Reconsider. That extry money from the circus will come in handy. :lol:

Had a moustache for probably going on 10 years. Did the seasonal beard for the past two or three. This year went with the goatee. Was warm in the winter, and in character for SASS. It was whitish-grey, sort of like Tommy Lee Jones as Captain Call. Until ......

I was on vacation the first week of June. One night my wife and I went out to dinner.

Standing at the podium where the sign says "Please Wait To Be Seated", this perky little girl comes up and asks "How many?".

My wife replies "Two".

Little girl says "Oh, you and your Dad out for dinner. How nice!".

My wife started to say something, and I put my hand on her arm and whispered "Just let it go".

Dulled two razors the next day getting back down to clean lip and chin.

Nothing like a sassy waitress to put things in perspective.

That's what ya get when you marry them purdy 20 year olds! :lol:

BSD

Had a 'stache. Could tell a real difference when those cold winter winds blew. My three-year old grandson wanted me to shave it off because it scratched him when we rough-housed. I did and haven't grown it back since. Merry Sunshine says she prefers me now clean-shaven because, according to her, I look younger. :blush:

But personally, sometimes I really miss having one, especially when the weather gets a little nippy.

Okay.. totally fed up... I have stopped shaving for years, in fact I guess I never started... and I even have tried fertilizer on my face and nothing happens... So, I am thinking I need to drink beer, smoke cigars, spit, swear, and wipe my mouth on my sleeve .. and then maybe it will grow? lol... Teasing y'all..

Okay.. totally fed up... I have stopped shaving for years, in fact I guess I never started... and I even have tried fertilizer on my face and nothing happens... So, I am thinking I need to drink beer, smoke cigars, spit, swear, and wipe my mouth on my sleeve .. and then maybe it will grow? lol... Teasing y'all..

Deja, when I first started growing a 'stache years ago, I friend of mine told me to try rubbing a little horse manure on my upper lip. I realized the guy was just "blowin' smoke," and we all had a good laugh. A few days later, I was telling another buddy about it so we could have another good chuckle over it.

This other buddy got real serious all of the sudden and says, "Yep, that manure thing is a bunch of bunk...BUT, there is something you can put on your upper lip to make your mustache grow faster." Then he leaned a little closer and sorta whispers like it's a special secret and says, "Breast milk! The protein in it helps the 'stache grow." :blink: Hmmm...I guess you can't argue with science. :wacko:

Deja, when I first started growing a 'stache years ago, I friend of mine told me to try rubbing a little horse manure on my upper lip. I realized the guy was just "blowin' smoke," and we all had a good laugh. A few days later, I was telling another buddy about it so we could have another good chuckle over it.

This other buddy got real serious all of the sudden and says, "Yep, that manure thing is a bunch of bunk...BUT, there is something you can put on your upper lip to make your mustache grow faster." Then he leaned a little closer and sorta whispers like it's a special secret and says, "Breast milk! The protein in it helps the 'stache grow." :blink: Hmmm...I guess you can't argue with science. :wacko:

:blush: Okay.. so again I walked into it.. lol....

I really think the first time I saw Robert Duval and Sam Elliot.. I was sold on the stache and hat... lol... you know the clean cut guys were on the Cowboy programs.. but I guess I always thought that Great Grandfather has a stache..so it has to be the way.. lol... They tickle and they are hard for y'all to keep clean.. but your wife loves it.. and I like to see them on a guys lip..

Something just very cowboy about them.. not sure why... Just like manners, telling it like it is, and being a man is cowboy... I like it in my friends ....

Being single and postng on this board has been a challenge since I love people, and I love good manners, and I love honesty, truth and faithfullness.. you guys being nice to me and true to your wives has made for the best days of my life on the internet. Thanks to all of you for taking my crazy posts, my silly humor. .and knowing that I am not here past just having fun with my Sass pards... you have all been so good to me over the past year+.... Thanks.. Deja.

Well all I have to say on that is it doesn't work either :lol:

I used to grow a winter beard. My birthday is in December so it would be pretty good by then. On my 40th birthday I noticed the chin whiskers were getting kind of white (not gray). Shaved it off and kept the 'burns and 'stache. Recently got rid of the moustache for the same reason.

There's a lot of white (not gray) in my hair, but I don't plan to take much of that off. It keeps my ears warm in winter and the sun off my neck in the summer.

I started growing mine the day I got discharged from the Army in 72.Had it ever since except for 1 day when I "tried" to trim it myself.Messed it up so bad I shaved it off and started growing it again the same day.All I do for summer is keep it trimmed down to about 3/4 inch.Winters....let it go to seed.

Archived