SASS Wire Forum

? for tech experts

JD Trampas, SASS # 55781

My 2011 Norton Internet Security is close to expiring, will this still work after it expires??? I'm waiting for the 2012 version, which I guess won't come out until Oct. Yes I know I can renew online, but I like to buy the program and install it. I thought about un-installing the 2011 and installing it again, low and behold, can't find the disc. Only have 8 days left on this.

All for now JD Trampas

My 2011 Norton Internet Security is close to expiring, will this still work after it expires??? I'm waiting for the 2012 version, which I guess won't come out until Oct. Yes I know I can renew online, but I like to buy the program and install it. I thought about un-installing the 2011 and installing it again, low and behold, can't find the disc. Only have 8 days left on this.

All for now JD Trampas

Not sure - I know our McAfee won't work if it expires (at least it did for a couple weeks after, but then it did not).....

GG ~ :FlagAm:

It will work if you don't renew it but you can count on 2 things:

- It won't download any new virus definitions

- It will bug the ever holy he!! out of you with the renewal popup

I just uninstalled the trial version that came with this PC because of that renewal popup.

Why not just use one of the free download anti virus packages such as AVG and forget the costly packages like Norton or McAfee. Test results show the free ones work as well or better anyway.

Kinda my thoughts.. our whole business uses

AVG free edition

Disclaimer: I ain't a tech expert either :lol::lol::lol:

Rance <_<

Thinkin' that oughta cover me :blush:

I use the free Avast - SpyBot and Malware software with excellent results

http://www.avast.com/en-us/index

http://softdownloads.com/spybot-and-spyware-doctor/?gclid=CLulzYXSn6sCFcPe4AodyzCojQ

http://www.avg.com/us-en/buyav-ppc_1?ctype=ppc_us_gs_0006_buyav&wm_crID=8300384&wm_lpID=39679069&wm_ctID=383&wm_kwID=16996929&wm_mtID=3&wm_content=0&wm_g_crID=8926100702&wm_g_kw=malware&wm_g_pcmt=&wm_g_cnt=0&wm_kw=malware&wm_sd=1

I also have CrossLoop installed that allows an external connection from a computer to run my computer. Is real handy when trying to determine any issues - the company support can dial in and resolve it without trying to talk you through the changes ... http://download.cnet.com/CrossLoop/3000-2654_4-10602416.html

Thanks for the replies, it just pop up a little while ago, saying only 9 days left, after that it will not work according to the pop up, so I may take the AVG program for a 30 day trial and by then the 2012 Norton Internet Security will be available. That is my thought for now, not sure what I'm going to do, I do know I won't go without some kind of protection, I have been using Norton products since day 1 of owning a pc with no problems.

All for now JD Trampas

I've been very happy with Computer Associates Internet Security Suite Plus. Best security software I've found and the cost is very reasonable. I have used Norton and McAfee for a couple of short periods and don't like either one.

I've had just as good or better protection with AVG as In did with Norton or McAfee.

It will still work with will still be in danger of picking up a virus as the net has a bunch of new viruses every day. All it takes to make the virus one that isn't picked up by the old virus protection is to slightly change a couple of key strokes...

Got this today - better safe than sorry: 2 virus warnings

Hotmail,AOL and so on. This information arrived this morning, Directfrom both Microsoft and Norton. Please send it to everybody you know who hasAccess to the Internet. You may receive an apparently harmless e-mail titled. Here you have it. If youopen the file, a message will appear on your screen saying: 'It is too latenow, your life is no longer beautiful, f*** you and die....'

Subsequently youwill LOSE EVERYTHING IN YOUR PC. And the person who sent it to you will gainaccess to your Name, e-mail and password, etc. This is a new virus whichstarted to circulate on Saturday afternoon. AOL has already confirmed theseverity, and the antivirus software's are not capable of destroying it.

The virus has beencreated by a hacker who calls himself 'life owner'.

PLEASE SEND A COPYOF THIS E-MAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS, And ask them to PASS IT ON IMMEDIATELY!

THIS HAS BEEN CONFIRMED BY SNOPES.

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/hereyouhave.asp

** the above link is from 9/2010..updated 1/24/11

Dave'sbrother is a very advanced programmer who does computer work for a living andhas a high up status with Microsoft. He doesn't send these if they aren't real.If he says this is for real, it for sure is. Be aware.

VIRUS COMING !

Hi All,

I checked with Norton Anti-Virus, and they are gearing up for this virus!

I checked Snopes, and it is for real. Get this E-mail message sent

around to your contacts ASAP.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS WARNINGAMONG FRIENDS, FAMILY AND CONTACTS!

You should be alert during the next few days. Do not open any

message with an attachment entitled POSTCARD FROM HALLMARK, regardless

of who sent it to you. It is a virus which opens A POSTCARD IMAGE,

which erases the whole hard disc C of your computer.

This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail

address in his/her contact list. This is the reason why you need to

send this e-mail to all your contacts. It is better to receive this

message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.

If you receive a mail called' POSTCARD,' even though sent to you by

a friend, do not open it! Shut down your computer immediately. This is

the worst virus announced by CNN.

It has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus

ever. This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no

repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the

Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, wherethe vital information is kept.

COPY THIS E-MAIL, AND SEND IT TO YOUR FRIENDS.

REMEMBER: IF YOU SEND IT TO THEM, YOU WILL BENEFIT ALL OF US

GG ~ :FlagAm:

If it's not updating, it's useless. Just uninstall it and put on Microsoft Security Essentials in the meantime. My guess is, you'll forget you ever cared about Norton. My two least favorite AV programs are McAfee and Norton. I'd suggest just about anything else.

If it's not updating, it's useless. Just uninstall it and put on Microsoft Security Essentials in the meantime. My guess is, you'll forget you ever cared about Norton. My two least favorite AV programs are McAfee and Norton. I'd suggest just about anything else.

Exactly what I did. I figure I'm using Microsoft operating system the FREE security program will work fine. It has for several years been that way. I see no need to pay someone else for the same program.

Kinda my thoughts.. our whole business uses

AVG free edition

Disclaimer: I ain't a tech expert either :lol::lol::lol:

Rance dry.gif

Thinkin' that oughta cover me :blush:

Another +1 for AVG - free edition is excellent protection.

Bucky

Thanks Fast Enuff, didn't know anything about the Microsoft Security Essentials, went to Microsoft web site and took a look at what they had to offer, looks interesting to say the least and it's free, they do have some there that are free 30 day trail then you have to pay. Guess I could try that since it is free, if not happy I could go back to the Norton when the 2012 comes out

All for now JD Trampas

A big +1 for the AVG.

I recently picked up a trojan cybercootie that AdAware missed. Traced it to the UPS package tracking site - if you're expecting any deliveries, don't be impatient just let it show up. But back to AVG ...

Downloaded the free trial version and turned it loose. It swept out the offending virus and also cleaned out about 2500 cookies, miscellaneous files, and other junk. My computer now runs like it did when new. It also does a great job of slamming the door on anything new that tries an attack.

In the past I've also tried the Norton and MacAfee programs, but AVG beats them hands down.

And another +1 fer AVG!

Thanks for the replies, it just pop up a little while ago, saying only 9 days left, after that it will not work according to the pop up, so I may take the AVG program for a 30 day trial and by then the 2012 Norton Internet Security will be available. That is my thought for now, not sure what I'm going to do, I do know I won't go without some kind of protection, I have been using Norton products since day 1 of owning a pc with no problems.

All for now JD Trampas

Why not just use the AVG free software and not the fee software from them. It seems to work just fine.

Why not just use the AVG free software and not the fee software from them. It seems to work just fine.

It ain't my pocketbook.. but seems some folks have to pay for something to believe it's good..

The AVG Free Edition (I was told this also by a computer Geek) is a great program.. and it's Free..

Rance <_<

Thinkin' I know my pocketbook..

Free is good :rolleyes:

Get ta buy more cowboy stuff.

As all of you are saying free, guess I'm going to the wrong place, when I go to the AVG site that John Boy posted, yes it's free for 30 days, after that it is $3.95.

All for now JD Trampas

JD..

Usually,when you go to their website... tucked someplace in a little corner or way down to the bottom.. You'll see Free Edition Free...

I've been using it for about 4-5 years..

They do expire in about a year.. and when they send you the info to renew.. In Huge Letters.. try our New edition Free.. that ain't it...

But still... tucked someplace down in a corner or something.. is renew Free edition..

Good Luck

Rance <_<

Thinkin' I gotta hunt fer the new free edition

everytime my old free edition expires..

Edit 9:23 am.. Ok JD.. I went to John Boys AVG website... I had to look fer a long time but if you click on the AVG symbol in the left top corner.. it will bring up the free edition..

It says the something like "The original Free Edition 2012" :)

Archived