SASS Wire Forum

"Buffalo Girls" - book for sale - - Calamity Jane - SOLD

Howdy, have a nice book for sale.

"Buffalo Girls"

by Larry McMurtry

"Larry McMurty rediscovered the myth of the American West and gave it new life in his epic Pulitzer Prize-winning novel Lonesome Dove, and in the best-selling Anything for Billy.

Now, in a novel as ambitious in scope as Lonesome Dove and as richly ironic as Anything for Billy, he writes of the life and times of Calamity Jane, a women whose past embraces the whole short, violent, ppassionate history of the West, from the mountain men who first made their way into Montana, Wyoming and the Dakotas in search of beaver pelts, to the buffalo hunters who destroyed the great herds, to the gunfighters, like Wild Bill Hickok (perhaps the love of Calamity Jane's life), to the Indians and soldiers who fought the final battle that made the West no longer "wild".

Calamity Jane is the West - a larger-than-life figure, living in her friends Dora's whorehouse in Miles City, apparently content to remember the excitements of the past (and reinvent them in letters to her daughter) until the arrival of her old friend and rival, Buffalo Bill Cody, plunges her into her last, bittersweet adventure as a member of Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show - which includes the great Indian hero of the Little Big Horn, Sitting Bull; two old mountain men, Bartle and Jim; an ancient Indian scout, No Ears; and Calamity Jane herself - to reenact in Europe the great drama of the American West.

Calamity Jane is as real and moving a heroine as Larry McMurty has ever created...Her story, told with rich and seemingly effortless narrative, good humor and deep love of life that made McMurty such a pleasure to read, is at the center of this deeply satisfying novel about "two aging buffal gals making the best of it out West."

copyright 1990

6 1/2" x 9 1/2" tall

351 pages

book and dust jacket are in near excellent condition

$16.00 shipped to you (media rate) in the U.S.A.

SOLD to Paisano

Please post here on the wire if you are interested or need more info.

Thanks for look'n.

I will take it. I know I have gotten things from you before but don't have your address. PM me with details.

Thanks, Paisano

Archived