SASS Wire Forum

Alliant Black MZ

Lone Dog, SASS #20401

Here's a link to their site. Doesn't say anything about cartridge loading or whether you need BP lube. To my knowledge, (not an expert) the only subs that can use smokeless bullets are APP and 777.

It also appears they're wanting to compete with Blackhorn 209 which is a duplex powder and not SASS legal. Worth looking into before buying.

Alliant

Here's a link to a fella that tested it with pictures... http://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=talk&action=display&thread=8918&page=1

His conclusion:

AS far as I'm concerned Black MZ doesn't live up to all the hype people have been giving it. It looks like APP powder, i do not see any pros about it even thought Omega 45 gave it some, cons they are many like;

1. not consistent

2. still have the crud ring

3. it's get harder to load the more you shoot with out cleaning

If I was to venture off original gunpowder and try this sub, I sure a heck would ask Alliant for a copy of the MSDS sheet for this MZ powder

If I was to venture off original gunpowder and try this sub, I sure a heck would ask Alliant for a copy of the MSDS sheet for this MZ powder

MSDS

Looking around at the site I see it says

"Principal Purpose: Muzzleloader Hunting

Secondary Uses: Black Powder Cartridges (Cowboy Action, Re-enactments)"

but can't find any loading data.

Anyone seen it yet or tried it? According to the Alliant rep on a TV show last nite it's supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Non hygroscopic. Non corrosive. Powerful. Yada yada. Even works in flinters he sez...

The MSDS shows an iginition temp of 670F. Not going to work in a flinter unless you prime with real black and put a real BP booster charge in the barrel under the main charge. All that sort of negates its usefullness in a flintlock.

Never really understood the problem people seem to have with real BP. With the right patch and ball combination you can shoot all day without wiping the barrel. Ignites easily, cleans up with hot water and a couple of patches.

I saw the segment on Guns 'n Ammo television last night too. Having a sub that is not particularly hydroscopic would be a good thing. I have my wife's ammo for the Outlaw Trail stored in an ammo can with a big dessicant package to make sure the APP in it will go bang and not fiz in two weeks. Fortunately I don't have that problem with the ammo I loaded with Goex for myself. I suspect Captain Baylor will test Alliant's new sub and we will get a report on the product in the Cowboy Chronicle. Maybe he will revise Black Powder Subs for Dummies after that.

The man said it was ascorbic acid based, whatever that means?

Isn't that the same same as vitamin c ??

Ascorbic acid is a naturally occurring organic compound with antioxidant properties. It is a white solid but impure samples can appear yellowish. It dissolves well in water to give mildly acidic solutions. Ascorbic acid is one form ("vitamer") of vitamin C. The name is derived from a- (meaning "no") and scorbutus (scurvy), the disease caused by a deficiency of vitamin C. Being derived from glucose, many animals are able to produce it, but humans require it as part of their nutrition.

Sugar based like APP.

The man said it was ascorbic acid based, whatever that means?

Isn't that the same same as vitamin c ??

Yeah, the smoke helps the downwind spotters from getting scurvy. :rolleyes:

Archived