SASS Wire Forum

Suggested bullets

I am about to load up some rounds for my AR and was looking for some opinions on bullets.

I am surrently heavily favoring the Barnes 62g Triple Shock.

Yes, I know I need to use bigger and that a .223 is too small for deer and I owe it to the animal to be humane. I promise you, the deer are small and there will be no 600 yard shots made. We are just talking about taking out some small does here.

Thanks all.

Don't let anyone give you any crap about it. A 223 is plenty big enough for any deer in north america.

You just have to be a better hunter. Know your range, know what is a marginal shot, and more importantly be able to control yourself enough not to take it if the shot is not perfect. A 223 through the heart brain or spinal cord will stop a deer a lot faster than a. 300 mag or 12ga slug to the guts

You will always here people saying well with a bigger bullet there is more margin for error. That's just plain bull.... it doesn't matter if your using a small bullet or a 50bmg a bad shot is a bad shot. If you can't be certain where the bullet will hit, do not fire.

Not to long ago mn's drn culled a lot of deer for cwd. The top choice of most of the professional shooters was a 22-250.

As for an ar I couldn't tell you what bullet works best the only ones I've shot were supplied by uncle sam. But I've seen bullet channels large enough to put a pop can in courtesy of a vmax at 150 yrds. Personally I choose a nosler but I use a 1 in 9 twist

Good hunting

Evil dogooder

Sorry pard the only black guns I like is sutty ones !

GOD BLESS THE USA !!!

There are lots of deer taken with .22 every year... there are still areas in this country where when the freezer is empty, someone goes and gets meat, and a .22 doesn't attract near the attention that a 30.06 does.

And before you ask, no, I've never taken a deer with anything other than a 30.06.

I really enjoy reloading, so that is why I was asking. I have never used the Barnes bullets before and was looking to see how they shoot. Being all whatever they are with no lead core they are a bit long for caliber.

I helped dress about 5 deer last year that were killed using the Hornady TAP ammo. Deer shot were from a low of about 90 lbs to a top end of 150 (all field dressed weights). There was no full penetration, all energy seemed to have been dumped in the first 10 to 12 inches, and the internal damage had to be seen to be believed. All shots were well placed. Nothing hit a shoulder going in, but one did punch through a rib. That one lost a couple of inches of penetration, but still had massive heart/lung damage. The shooter told me no deer went farther than about 50 feet after being hit and most were DRT.

Still, I think I will try out a couple of things on my own. I will report back when I have a winner.

When trying for maximum performance out of any given cartridge, it is hard to be a Barnes bullet. Make sure you use their solid bullets on deer. They make a line of 22 caliber varmint bullets that are compressed powdered lead. They're great on 'yotes and ground hogs but are designed to vaporize on impact. Not what you want on a deer.

Archived