SASS Wire Forum

"Not SASS Legal"

It's not??

Page 28 of the September Chronicle had an EMF "closeout" ad featuring a couple of 92's. Two rifles are pictured; both .44 Mag, both 24" octagonal bbls, but the bottom pictured rifle is labeled "Not SASS Legal."

Huh...? Howcome not? :mellow:

It is one of those highly illegal "Gamer Guns".

It has a infra-red laser in the mag tube that can only be seen by wearing the supplied "safety glasses". Also the loading gate has a stealth bullet detection circuit built in that will not allow you to stuff those offending shells in the gun.

If you look closely at the lever you will see that it is actually fixed in place. This is because the reciever has an "electronic auto-cocking device" enclosed inside. There are three lithium batteries in the buttstock and the recharging connection is cleverly covered unter the sliding buttplate.

The buttplate also conceals the USB connector for the on board "sweep computer". When you have printed stage descriptions this will allow you to pre-program all the required sweeps into the rifle and totally eliminate the dreaded "P" on every single stage.

The rifle also has the "staging gyro" option. The forearm contains a small but powerful gyro that makes the gun stand straight up regardless of where it is placed. No more fumbling! When you need it you just grab it from where it is dutifully standing and when done just put the buttstock down and it will wait for your return.

I do hope this has cleared up why this has been deemed "Not SASS Legal."

Respectfully yours,

Recoil pad? The rule book isn't very clear on this...

A permanently fitted, non-adjustable, lace on, or slip on recoil pad is allowed on the

buttstock of rifles and shotguns.

Does that mean a lace on or slip on pad that is permanently fitted, or is "permanently fitted" a third option? And how could a lace on or slip on pad be considered permanently fitted anyway??

It doesn't look like it has fiber optic sights, but maybe they're white outlined or somesuch.

Recoil pad? The rule book isn't very clear on this...

A permanently fitted, non-adjustable, lace on, or slip on recoil pad is allowed on the

buttstock of rifles and shotguns.

Does that mean a lace on or slip on pad that is permanently fitted, or is "permanently fitted" a third option? And how could a lace on or slip on pad be considered permanently fitted anyway??

It doesn't look like it has fiber optic sights, but maybe they're white outlined or somesuch.

Permanently fitted means one that is screwed or glued on...LEGAL option.

The sights are a brass bead front with a semi-buckhorn rear (no white outline or diamond)...LEGAL options.

Caliber (.44 mag) is LEGAL...as long as loads are kept under 1400 fps.

I can't see ANYTHING "illegal" about it that would preclude SASS use as a main match rifle.

Sent an inquiry to U.S. Grant to find out WHY the ad says that.

I've tried to call a couple times this morning, but the recording says they're not open, even though it states their business hours are 8-5, Monday through Friday. It's 9:30 here, so 8:30 there, and they should be open according to the recording...?

Wal shux... it's a nice looking piece at any rate!

Darn, if my budget wasn't so bruised from just buyin' a house and movin' I'd buy 'em both! ^_^

Sneeky might have it pegged... :rolleyes:

Hey, Y'all... Okie's back! So how was the trip~? :)

It is one of those highly illegal "Gamer Guns".

It has a infra-red laser in the mag tube that can only be seen by wearing the supplied "safety glasses". Also the loading gate has a stealth bullet detection circuit built in that will not allow you to stuff those offending shells in the gun.

If you look closely at the lever you will see that it is actually fixed in place. This is because the reciever has an "electronic auto-cocking device" enclosed inside. There are three lithium batteries in the buttstock and the recharging connection is cleverly covered unter the sliding buttplate.

The buttplate also conceals the USB connector for the on board "sweep computer". When you have printed stage descriptions this will allow you to pre-program all the required sweeps into the rifle and totally eliminate the dreaded "P" on every single stage.

The rifle also has the "staging gyro" option. The forearm contains a small but powerful gyro that makes the gun stand straight up regardless of where it is placed. No more fumbling! When you need it you just grab it from where it is dutifully standing and when done just put the buttstock down and it will wait for your return.

I do hope this has cleared up why this has been deemed "Not SASS Legal."

Respectfully yours,

Wow . . . I gotsta get then modifications done to my '73. :)

Trip doesn't end until Sep 18. I can connect via my smart phone. The tour is in Sienna today. Can anyone say Chianti!

I can't even spell it, let alone say it. Is that something you wear?

Bring me some spaghetti, will you?

Just got off the phone with EMF...apparently an initial misunderstanding re: the butt pad.

Confirmed as LEGAL, but too late to change the ad copy.

REPEAT: The EMF "Deer Hunter" Model 92 in .44 Rem.Mag. IS SASS LEGAL as a main match rifle.

We now return you to updates on Okie's vacation tour report.

Hacker, they erred on the side of caution. Best to state it's not SASS legal and be overurruled than to state ie IS legal and be overruled... as happened a number of years ago with another lever action rifle from a different company. ;)

It probably refers to the '44 Magnum' caliber (as a SAAMI factory load) as to it being labeled ' illegal'. I would wager that the gun if it shot a 44 Special or the 44 Mag was loaded down to comply with SASS FPS rule it would be legal..

Ooooops - I should have read post# 14 - Thanks Palewolf Brunelle...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

HC, I would say they erred on the side of stupidity. This is the same ad that ran in the April 2011 CC. (and August 2011 didnt' check between but estimated)

If I was running a companies ad dept and had a product where my ad stated that it was not legal for a given sport, I would either remove that statement OR I would verify it. Rather than run it for many months. Why would you run an ad where one of the two guns is said to be not legal for the sport represented by one of your advertising papers? Why draw attention to it?

I once got the impression that one of the founders of SASS had their finger in EMF.

In my dealings (not many) with EMF, If I recall correctly, that some of the folks there are SASS members.

Yes, I remember the debacle of the henry big boy.

HC, I would say they erred on the side of stupidity. This is the same ad that ran in the April 2011 CC. (and August 2011 didnt' check between but estimated)

If I was running a companies ad dept and had a product where my ad stated that it was not legal for a given sport, I would either remove that statement OR I would verify it. Rather than run it for many months. Why would you run an ad where one of the two guns is said to be not legal for the sport represented by one of your advertising papers? Why draw attention to it?

I once got the impression that one of the founders of SASS had their finger in EMF.

In my dealings (not many) with EMF, If I recall correctly, that some of the folks there are SASS members.

Yes, I remember the debacle of the henry big boy.

Yes Hacker, One of the Founders of SASS is General U.S.Grant Sass #2. He is also Boyd A. Davis, owner of EMF Santa Ana Calif.

Just sayin'

Big Jake

The EMF people are great to deal with and usually bend over backwards to be helpful and honor any repairs or parts needs. That is not because U.S.Grant owns the company (which he does), that is just the way they do business.

Archived