SASS Wire Forum

Dillon 650 advice needed

Oddnews SASS# 24779

After a good deal of swearing, sweating, scraped knuckes and objects thrown, I did the conversion of my 650 from .45 Colt to .32-20 yesterday.

This involved a couple of stuck cases (lesson learned -- put in the right rotor first). It involved a case split because I grabbed the .38 tool head instead of the one I wanted, but after a certain amount of difficulty I had the right tools, the right rotor and the machine seemed to be rigged and ready.

So I ran one case through it. The case feed did not push the case into the tool head all the way, and I crushed that case, and the one I put in after it. Adjusted the case feed to maximum, loosened the rotor slightly, and that problem seems solved.

Now, however, the press is over-indexing, probably about 1/10 of an inch worth. A slight (very slight) backward pressure on the rotor, and it clicks back into position. Failure to do this means the case doesn't enter the die, and the case mouth gets crushed.

Obviously, I've done something wrong in the conversion process. Fortunately, I have .45 colt enough to last through the rest of they year, but I hope someone here at the fire can tell me what I've done wrong and how to fix it.

Thanks in advance.

Check your cases and the shell plate for a good fit. Dillon shell plates are close tolerance, and any nicked rims or dirt (powder grains) in the shell plate cuts will cause failure to fully feed into the "wheel'. Are you absolutely sure you have the right slide "ramp" from the case feeder to the shell holder installed? Is it clean and seated properly on the press so the cases slide accurately to the shell holder? You wnt th shell holder to PROPERLY index and no more. Raise the rod that retracts the shell feeder "pusher" when the ram comes up, so the "pusher" is floating free and see where you are at in terms of getting cases to feed onto the shell plate. That rod may not be allowing full seating of cases, or there may be fuglies under the spring-loaded case "pusher"

Could be your shellplate bolt is to tight, needs to have a little "wiggle room". Or may be the shellplate set screw is loose ?? If you have the manual check the trouble shooting guide for more info or call Dillon and they will walk you through the steps to correct your problem........

Mink........

Sometimes I forget about the little set screw under the shell plate. Probably cuz I learned on a Lee. Even when I figured out why It was so hard to get off, I forget to tighten it back up. I'd suggest calling Dillon.

Cash

Sometimes I forget about the little set screw under the shell plate. Probably cuz I learned on a Lee. Even when I figured out why It was so hard to get off, I forget to tighten it back up. I'd suggest calling Dillon.

Cash

I forget about it too. I ended up putting a note on the press with a Sharpie to remind me. I also wrote my customer # and Dillon's phone #. Now I have almost committed the technical service phone # to memory.

I'd suggest calling Dillon.

Yup. If it is not the first thing they have you to check, they suggest something else and keep on having you to check things until they find the culprit. Typically the conversation ends when your problem is fixed. Sometimes you might have to wait for a part or for a timing tool, etc. Of course you know that none of that will cost you one red cent.

Yup. If it is not the first thing they have you to check, they suggest something else and keep on having you to check things until they find the culprit. Typically the conversation ends when your problem is fixed. Sometimes you might have to wait for a part or for a timing tool, etc. Of course you know that none of that will cost you one red cent.

Mine kept crushing cases and it took me forever to figure out the culprit. I took the shell holder completely off and found the two bolts that hold the platform on were loose. Tightened em up and it ran like a dream again.

After a good deal of swearing, sweating, scraped knuckes and objects thrown, I did the conversion of my 650 from .45 Colt to .32-20 yesterday.

This involved a couple of stuck cases (lesson learned -- put in the right rotor first). It involved a case split because I grabbed the .38 tool head instead of the one I wanted, but after a certain amount of difficulty I had the right tools, the right rotor and the machine seemed to be rigged and ready.

So I ran one case through it. The case feed did not push the case into the tool head all the way, and I crushed that case, and the one I put in after it. Adjusted the case feed to maximum, loosened the rotor slightly, and that problem seems solved.

Now, however, the press is over-indexing, probably about 1/10 of an inch worth. A slight (very slight) backward pressure on the rotor, and it clicks back into position. Failure to do this means the case doesn't enter the die, and the case mouth gets crushed.

Obviously, I've done something wrong in the conversion process. Fortunately, I have .45 colt enough to last through the rest of they year, but I hope someone here at the fire can tell me what I've done wrong and how to fix it.

Thanks in advance.

Have you called Dillon? They have the best customer service in the business and someone there will stay on the phone with you until all the issues are resolved, just make sure you have your phone next to the machine.

For those of you who are like me, and can't bear not knowing how this sort of story ends, I called Dillon. We did a few checks on the machine, and finally the extremely helpful tech support guy asked me to raise the ram and look at the ring indexer with a good flashlight.

It had a hairline crack. I may have caused this myself wrestling the machine Saturday, but it also may just be age as this is my brother's machine and it is more than a decade old. The excellent Dillon no B.S. warranty is, of course, in effect and the piece is on its way to me.

Although this is a little frustrating (the machine is not, after all, working), it actually comes as a bit of a relief. I don't think the problems were the result of my overall ineptitude -- I think it just broke. While this doesn't make me competent, it at least means that the flaw was not the result of my incompetence (or at least, that's the story I'm sticking to, for now, unless someone comes up with harder evidence).

Thanks again for all your help and advice.

Archived