SASS Wire Forum

Cybercooties Update

Last week I put up a post about some computer virus. A little more research and I've found that it was part of a global hack job by some scoundrels in Turkey. One of the sites they targeted was UPS, among others. So, if you've done any package tracking in the past week you might have picked it up.

Here's the article from CNET => http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-20102308-83/sites-of-ups-acer-others-redirected-in-dns-attack/

Miserable little PITA hackers. :angry:

Captain, I'm sure you have done the right thing here and such but one of the ways of passing along a virus that was done in the old days (like 5 years ago) was to post a message like this:

There is a new virus going around, here is a link to more info: link.

And the link would walk the reader right into the virus. As a result I don't follow those links anymore.

Back before I was a bit more savvy with these interweb confuser boxes I got suckered in just the way you mention Marshal. I think it was something called the Klez Virus, about 8 years ago. Learned the hard way not to follow an e-mail link, especially if it seems fishy. Or phishy.

This thing the Turks are using is a bit more sophisticated. It attaches to the webpage and then makes the jump to your computer. What's bad about it is that it'll be hiding in the code of a site you actually need to use, like the UPS Tracking Info. They hacked UPS and a bunch of other reputable sites, and now the damned thing is everywhere.

I read this morning where a hacker claiming to be from Iran hacked some internet companies and created phony certificates. With those certs he could create code that pretended to be from a lot of real sites.and do a lot of bad things. It may or may not be related but it will take a while for those certs to be tracked down.

Archived