SASS Wire Forum

federal witness question

Trigger Mike

Now that the "crisis" has passed, I'm wondering how it worked out. Trigger Mike, are you out there with an update?

Just saw it on CNN. A Georgia man was sent to Guantanamo for failure to pay his attorney one hunnert and seventy bucks under CFR OIc-U812.

Tragic miscarriage of justice I calls it.

Oh and I think there might have been some meth possession thing too. :lol:

Ok, a little late to the party, but what the hey....I do "the law" thing for a livin', so I'll chime in....

Parties to a civil suit or Defendants in a criminal suit need representation. You may represent yourself in either, but "if you cannot afford and attorney, one will be appointed for you" (as per Miranda) in criminal cases.

Witnesses do not require representation. They are present to provide (1) factual knowledge which is relevent to the issues of the case or (2) provide expert testimony for issues of the case. Experts are paid by the party which retained them. Fact witnesses may agree to appear on behalf of a party to the suit or be subpoenaed if within the jurisdiction of the court in which the case is to be heard.

I work in a small East Texas town and my hourly rate is $175. $170 is not enough to secure legal representation, IMHO.

Chick

Now that the "crisis" has passed, I'm wondering how it worked out. Trigger Mike, are you out there with an update?

I have not heard and don't want to call them back. When I called back to tell them I could not do it, they kept trying to find ways for me to. It took some doing to get off the phone as it was.

Archived