SASS Wire Forum

federal witness question

Trigger Mike

a friend called to ask me for 170 to pay for an attorney as he has to go to federal court tomorrow as a witness and he needs it tonight(Sunday) to pay the attorney or be in contempt of court. Supposedly he witnessed some federal crimes involving law enforcement. I asked why the late notice and they said they do it all the time to them and tell them at the last minute. This all sounded od to me. DOes it make sense to any of you all? 170 sounds cheap for a lawyer for federal court. Needing the money on a Sunday sounded odd.

a friend called to ask me for 170 to pay for an attorney as he has to go to federal court tomorrow as a witness and he needs it tonight(Sunday) to pay the attorney or be in contempt of court. Supposedly he witnessed some federal crimes involving law enforcement. I asked why the late notice and they said they do it all the time to them and tell them at the last minute. This all sounded od to me. DOes it make sense to any of you all? 170 sounds cheap for a lawyer for federal court. Needing the money on a Sunday sounded odd.

Follow your instincts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what was even more odd, they wanted me to go online to Western Union and use a debit/credit card and they would pick it up. They live 45 minutes away. They have a 84 year old relative snail mailing the money and he would wire it but he does not have a computer and just had surgery so he can't leave home.

Maybe he thinks he needs a Lawyer for a Deposition to be taken before the trial. His Depo can be taken without a paid mouthpiece, just tell him to tell the truth and don't say more than the answer to the question asked. They want what he saw, not what he thinks.

Just sayin'

Big Jake

P.S. I just read the above post....caution when anything involving Western Union and $$$$ transfers are concerned. DANGER, Will Robinson, DANGER!!!

I've testified in federal court as a witness, and didn't need money nor an attorney. On the other hand, if you give him the $170 and you never see him again, it just might be worth it.

I've testified in federal court as a witness, and didn't need money nor an attorney. On the other hand, if you give him the $170 and you never see him again, it just might be worth it.

:lol: my wife said why don't he sell one of his dogs or that motorcycle he keeps in the middle of the living room if he needs money that bad.

Sounds like your wife is a smart gal. I'd go with her instincts.

Western Union is a rip off all the way around in my opinion. VERY expensive if if the transaction is legitimate.

:lol: my wife said why don't he sell one of his dogs or that motorcycle he keeps in the middle of the living room if he needs money that bad.

With me just being a middle-aged, christian, gun toting angry white guy that mistrusts all politicians, the Federal Government and looks for big brother lurking behind every tree I (huh, what was the question again?). Oh I remember now anything with the word Federal is reason enough for me to run away.

(Like the time a friend of mine got a weird telephone call from someone wanting him to do some gun transactions)

I can see wanting a lawyer on my side during any sort of court thing, but...

Did you get this via email per chance?

Sounds like pure scam plain and simple, once they get your debit card they'll drain ya dry, and probably have no connection to who 'sent' you the message.

Depends on how good a "friend" this is. Sounds fishy to me but you know the dude so it's yer call, be cautious though. Can't trust too many people nowadays!:unsure: Rye

I'm no legal expert, but I've never heard of any witness, federal or otherwise, that had to pay to testify in court..Don't sound right to me..

Was this "friend" from Nigeria.

If the Feds need my testimony, THEY would be paying not me <_<

it was a guy I knew since child hood, though we were never close. We rarely talk. I figure if you need a lawyer, it is because you might be charged as well. How else could you witness illigal activity unless you were there

BULL! Either.

A. He's lying through his teeth or

B. He's dumb as a bag of hammers

I'm leanin toward A.

Forget him.

This is a common scam, usually from a friend overseas who has been mugged/robbed and needs money to get home. Usually by email, why not call him and ask what is going on? Witnesses don't need lawyers.

He doesn't want the $170 dollars. He most likely included a link to the Western Union site he wants you to use so he can get your credit card info and passwords.

If I loan money and I mean IF, it will be face to face and nothing less. And I'm not sure I would do it then excepting if this was a cas shooting friend. Their word is almost as good as gold. Maybe even better because the government can' take it.

And folks call me cynical because I don't hardly trust anyone I used to run with. Most are either dead, in prison, or somewhere in-between ( I was one of them patch-holdin biker outlaws before my brain started working halfway proper like).

Your wife is your best freind, trust me on this one!

Bodine

For what it's worth, the dockets of many courts are available online, a google search and you might be able to turn up something, if there is actually something to find.

I'm with Cliffhanger, if it were me, it would be face to face, and cash, and an offer to meet him at the courthouse to pass off the money. That is 'IF' I was inclined to help, which would be highly unlikely.

Heck, if I get an email from my wife with an attachment or a link, I call and make sure she sent it and find out what it is before opening them. Just because I am paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me.

Grizz

And folks call me cynical because I don't hardly trust anyone I used to run with. Most are either dead, in prison, or somewhere in-between ( I was one of them patch-holdin biker outlaws before my brain started working halfway proper like).

Your wife is your best freind, trust me on this one!

Bodine

She is always my best friend. She got sour on helping folks when we helped a long time child hood friend of hers that tried to take her husband too, along with some money. She smoked and got pregnant after she left here so my wife now says, "keep your legs closed, your mouth shut and your hands off my man". gotta love her.

This is a scam, but may not be your friend.

If you got this by email, your friend's computer has a virus and you (and probably all his other address book friends) are being scammed. :angry:

Cheers,

Harvey

Maybe he thinks he needs a Lawyer for a Deposition to be taken before the trial. His Depo can be taken without a paid mouthpiece, just tell him to tell the truth and don't say more than the answer to the question asked. They want what he saw, not what he thinks.

Just sayin'

Big Jake

P.S. I just read the above post....caution when anything involving Western Union and $$$$ transfers are concerned. DANGER, Will Robinson, DANGER!!!

I liked Lost in space ... and it sounds like the witness is too ... Lost in space ...

If it smells like an old diaper, it is....

And this one smells like an extremely old diaper.....

I was told that you give momey to family and friends and should feel suprised if you ever get it back. I took this to heart and have never handed over anything that I could not live without.

I'm sorry, but all the Western Union and such would just not happen. If he needs cash that fast he could just come over and I would hand it to him.

A "witness" is represented by the Prosecuting Attorney, not by private counsel. If he is a combination witness/suspect he is eligible for court provided counsel, so it looks like a fabricated story.

BSD

If you got this by email, your friend's computer has a virus and you (and probably all his other address book friends) are being scammed. :angry:

Cheers,

Harvey

to me this is the mostly likely thinger . . . either a virus . . or his compture e-mail is hacked and someone is using it to try to scam those on his e-mail list . .

Cheers,

Harvey

He said the guy called him. Didn't mention e-mail.

It's a scam......

I take theft reports from residents all the time where I work....

People are too easily drawn in by guys that are really good at playing up ones fears and urgencies...

They usually want ya to go to Western Union or go to Wal-Mart or Walgreens and get a "Green Dot Money card".

Then they want you to give them the 16 digit code from the card when they call back. This allows them to get the funds over the phone

JJJ-D

:ph34r: :ph34r:

Archived