SASS Wire Forum

Long Range Rifle Open Category

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Everyone, PLEASE, I beg of you, do not take this post seriously.

(Unless you really want to.)

To quote the shooters handbook, there is a rather rare side match that I am itching to try someday.

LONG RANGE (OR PRECISION) RIFLE

SASS long range or precision rifle competition is different than main match rifle

competition with more emphasis placed on precision shooting at longer ranges, with time

being a secondary scoring factor. Scoring for these matches is determined by the number of

hits, with either of two methods used to break ties. At the match director’s option, either total

time used to shoot the required number of shots or a shoot-off may be used to break ties.

There are five categories in long range or precision rifle competition, plus one optional

category:

(other categories snipped)

• Open Category (may be used at the match director’s option to include those firearms not

covered by other official Long Range Categories).

Now THIS sounds like it could be a facinating side match. I have never been to a shoot that has had one, but it seems to me that the possibilities are endless.

If for no other reason that to use it in an Open Category match, I MUST save enough money to obtain a Gatling Gun. I think one in .30-40 Krag would be more workable than a .45-70 from a reloading cost, but I could be wrong.

But, I also seem to remember an article in one of the gun magazines many years ago about a very small one in .44-40 that had a photo of it it sitting on a table with a gentleman seated behind it getting ready to turn the crank.

Anywhoooo... It seems to me that this could be the most intersting thing to use in an Open Category side match. Does anyone have one for sale for a reasonable price? Please PM me if you do.

And by the same token, what other really facinating things could be used in this side match?

The only thing I can think off off the top of my head would be a muzzle loading cannon, but those are kinda heavy...

And as I said at the outset, please, don't take this seriously.

Problem with sniper gatling guns is keeping the scopes zeroed on the barrels.

Hmm... Perhaps the answer is to just zero it in on one barrel. That becomes your "kill shot barrel" and the others are simple for suppression fire to keep them confused while waiting for the zeroed one to come back around?

Archived