SASS Wire Forum

Every time I take my '73 apart...

Rolan Kraps, SASS # 24084 Life

... I'm always amazed it goes back together and I don't have any left over parts.

OK, so it's gets better the more you do it. -_-

So I'll put the question out to the wire... Do you have any tips or tricks for cleaning your '73?

I find it is easier to put back together if I balance it on the edge of the stock, lever and barrel and put the side plates back on.

Several years ago I attended a Seminar at the SASS Convention. Jim Bowie of C&I's Store gave a class on the Marlin 94, 73 & 66. He showed his procedure for the disassembly & assembly of the 73 & 66. He use's a 3/4"-1" spacer block to support the off-receiver side to support the side plate with the piece laying horizontal on it's side. The block is of hardwood an approx. 2"X3" in size. This supports the right side plate & internals as the left side is being assembled.

My assembly block is 3/4" X 1 1/2" X 3 1/2" and works very well. ;)

RK, Do you shoot the holy black or the smokeless?

Smokeless,for the same reason I don't play 8-track tapes and watch B/W TV. :lol:

I know you asked about a 73 but many have mentioned the 66....one of the keys is to release the tension on both springs until the assembly is complete which makes it easier to put the screw through the lever assembly. With tension left on you almost have to use a punch from the right side.

Just my two scents.

KK

What KK said. I find the '73 easy enough to assemble if ya back off the spring tension on both front springs,and leave em loose until ya get things together. No vise here. I DO use a shim block under the gate side plate. NEVER tighten those spring screws with the side plates loose, or you will have one or both jump the cam and give ya fits.

My 73 comes apart after every shoot. When going back together I put the right side parts in, put the rt cover on and lay it on it's side. Then the left parts go in, the left plate goes on and the cover screw goes in. I don't use or need anything to hold the right plate on except a little attention.

I "pop" the lever springs off the lever w/o backing out the screws. Once the lever is reinstalled, I "pop" 'em back onto the lever. I have the cam surfaces dabbed w/ small amount of grease. I also put a small dab of grease on the pivot slots of the links, a thin film of grease on the lever and lifter arm where they rub against each other and a thin film of grease on the inside of the sideplates.

My 73 comes apart after every shoot. When going back together I put the right side parts in, put the rt cover on and lay it on it's side. Then the left parts go in, the left plate goes on and the cover screw goes in. I don't use or need anything to hold the right plate on except a little attention.

Same here. Put everything in the right side then just lay it on the table while I put the rest of the parts in the left side.

Archived