SASS Wire Forum

Italian Made .36 Black Powder ?

joachim slim

My friend has a Pietta revolver. It has a full brass frame like the Remington 1858 except it is a .36 caliber. The barrel is 6 1/2 or 7 1/2". What is a rough quesstament in value? It is real clean and doesnt appear to have been shot much. Any info is appreciated.

Howdy Pard

For starters , ya might go to the websites for Dixie Gun Works and for Cabelas. Each has a whole mess of offerings of percussion revolvers. Find ones that look like your buddy's shootin' iron and you'll have an idea what they go for when new. Then you could apply what seems to be an appropriate discount based on the condition of your buddy's pistol.

When I'm trying to price guns I go to the web site of Gun Broker and can usually get a idea of what similar firearms are going for. Not sure if Gun Broker lists replica percussion pistols but it would probably be worth the effort to do a search.

It's just anecdotal info but at a recent gun show I saw a few used percussion revolvers on some of the tables and they didn't seem to be moving.

Wish ya luck!

Fort Reno Kid

Slim,

If that pistol is a Spiller and Burr, then of course, full retail is 269.00

What folks are willing to pay for it is something else... I wouldn't expect a used brass-framed Pietta to bring more than 170.00, and it may be tough going at that.

(that's not a knock against Piettas, I own a dozen myself)

But you never know. Someone may be looking to buy that particular model.

McC

He had asked me if I had an idea what it was worth. I had no clue so thats why I posted here. It is a pretty clean gun but I havent looked at the bore or cylinders. He told me today he was going to ask $140. It is in the box but no holster or other stuff.

Archived