SASS Wire Forum

S & B brass

Yusta B.

Anyone else have trouble seating primers in S & B pistol brass ? Seems like the primer pocket is about .002 smaller than other brand brass.

I have also found the S&B primer pockets to be a hair too tight.

I know Midwayusa.com sells a primer pocket reamer for about $11.00. I just added a large and a small to my wish list for the next time I order something

I have also found the S&B primer pockets to be a hair too tight.

Yep, in .45 Auto especially. Somewhat tight in .38 special. But, a coupel of twists with a primer pocket reamer always takes care of the problem.

Good luck, GJ

I have had no problem loading it or shooting it. It is one of my "less desirable" brands but I don't throw them out. I use the less desirable brass at lost-brass matches.

Drifter

Anyone else have trouble seating primers in S & B pistol brass ? Seems like the primer pocket is about .002 smaller than other brand brass.

When I sort my brass everything with "S&B" on it goes right in the trash.

I will add another +1 on that brass in 45 Colt. It is my belief that it has to do with the metric vs our decimal systems.

If you do a web search for S & B brass, you will find countless threads similar to this one that essentially confirms that S & B brass is a PITA. The thing that ultimately turns me away from it is the fact that the problem is SO common and is apparently ignored by the manufacturer.

I just learned that the company, Sellier and Bellot, also manufactures Magtech primers. I've just finished up a lot of them that I bought when they were the only primers I could find. My first clue to their "stringent" quality control was the fact that they could not even handle getting the primers in the tray with the same side facing up. If you use Magtech primers, you WILL do some shaking. Of course, shaking is not the end of the world as you also have to shake Federals, but they are in the trays pointed in the same direction which I take as a good sign. I'm glad I'm through with the Magtech primers and I'll leave it at that. Oh yeah, S & B brass goes directly to the trash. They do not pass go and they don't collect $200. :D

The primer pocket is also not beveled as well. I throw every piece of it in the trash.

Dido's! I had bunches of this brass. The primers are not only tight, but with out a bevel :wacko:? Ended up waisting primers and had lots of frustration :angry:!!

Shooting life's to short to put up with bad brass :P!

I will add another +1 on that brass in 45 Colt. It is my belief that it has to do with the metric vs our decimal systems.

I thought the metric system was going to be the only system?? Thats what my teachers told me back in the 70's :D

For those tossing brass in the trash I recommend the recycle bucket instead. Scrap brass fetches ~$1.70 a pound in quantity. Brass that doesn't meet my loading standards pays for loading supplies.

Is this recent manufactured ammo? 45 or 38? I bought several boxes of loaded 38's close to 10 years ago and still find some in my mixed brass bucket. I have loaded them several times never a problem with primer seating. I cannot recall the last time I had one split.

Just my unscientific observations,

Smoke

For those tossing brass in the trash I recommend the recycle bucket instead. Scrap brass fetches ~$1.70 a pound in quantity. Brass that doesn't meet my loading standards pays for loading supplies.

In this case, my "trash" is saved in coffee cans for recycling as are my spent primers.

Is this recent manufactured ammo? 45 or 38? I bought several boxes of loaded 38's close to 10 years ago and still find some in my mixed brass bucket. I have loaded them several times never a problem with primer seating. I cannot recall the last time I had one split.

Just my unscientific observations,

Smoke

Smoke

This has been my experience as well. 8-10 year old S&B reloaded several times with no problems. YMMV?

When I was teaching concealed carry classes we would get a lot of S&B brass. In our group the instructors are volunteers and our compensation was lunch and to occasionally get some of the students (who did not want it) brass. Interestingly when the S&B brass was available it was almost always left unclaimed and when it was taken home by an instructor, usually they would have some choice words about it at the next class.

YMMV

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I can add only 2 positives for S&B brass; (1) they will usually take CCI primers w/o deformation and (2) if your rifle is a little long on headspace, the thicker rim of S&B brass helps compensate, somewhat :wacko: .....

Archived