SASS Wire Forum

No stock in Stoeger

Krazy Kajun

I bought a Stoeger SxS 12g new in March. After shooting it for 5 months the stock developed a crack on both sides. My friendly neighborhood gunsmith, Hogleg Smith, was kind enough to work with me and had it returned to Stoeger. Stoeger replaced the stock at no charge and while they had it they "reversed" some of the fine work Hogleg had done on it so that it would be "safe to shoot." Hogleg, fortunately, was able to reverse Stoeger's "reversement" and got it back to a functioning cowboy action shootin iron again.

Well I thought that today at our our monthly shoot down at Doc Holiday's Immortals in Griffin, GA, it would be a fine place to shoot my newly "restocked" gun. So at the warmup match when I shot it a chunk of wood flew off the stock, this BRAND NEW STOCK. The piece was from the front of the stock against the gun on the right side.

Now I just a bit skiddish about sending the gun back to the factory again for a replacement stock from Stoeger given the fine quality of what they put on there.

Two things....

1. Can I get a replacement stock for the Stoeger made from something other than wood and it still be legal to shoot in SASS?

2. Anyone else having this lack of quality from Stoeger stocks? If so have you found a solution?

Thanks.

KK,

Please don't take this wrong, but i would begin to suspect my technique.

Stoeger has not been one of my favorite makers.

No offense taken Hacker....guess I don't understand what you are talking about. How can a shooting technique contribute to a stock cracking or breaking a piece off?

Not saying that this is what happened, but it's a known fact that overtghtening the thru bolt that attaches the stock to the receiver, can cause this. The thru bolt should be snugly tightened, but not really torqued down.

This is true af all stocks that are attached in this manner, not just Stoegers, and can happen on very high dollar guns too.

RBK

Boito gunstocks / Stoeger

About half the Stoegers I have seen have chips out of the top of the stock where it joins the receiver.....

You can always get some walnut shavings and epoxy and fill in the part that has fallen off.

Pardner, you are shooting with the Stoeger, right?

I thought you might be using it as a hammer ;) LOL

Just had to, I know I'm a bad Cowboy.....

I got mine from Stoeger, when I bought it someone had

removed a tad to much wood...

Sorry to hear about your problems, hang in there>

Happy trails

QDG/Mike

I had one that had a 3 inch sliver come out at the receiver. I super glued it back. I was jest fine afterwards. It was a 20 gauge. I found a Rossi 20 gauge mule ear that caught my eye. I bought it and sold the Stoeger. I now regret selling it.

Shameless

I dropped the shotgun off at Hogleg's on the way home.

Take care,

Thanks for the delivery service Rolan....was good to visit with ya today too. If you have problems with your 'lectric service give me a call.

Pardner, you are shooting with the Stoeger, right?

I thought you might be using it as a hammer ;) LOL

Just had to, I know I'm a bad Cowboy.....

QDG, your a funny guy! Actually after that wood broke off I felt like using it for a hammer!!

Fortunately my pard Yank Machain just happened to have a Stoeger in the clubhouse for sale and he let me use it...nice guy! I told him that if no wood broke off the shotgun during our 6 stages I'd buy it from him. Guess what, ole Yank made tha sale!!

Ask your smith to measure the metal in the area of the breaks. Is the receiver symmetrical, or a bit lopsided? Is the stock fitted to the metal evenly, or does one area touch before the other, then both touch as you tighten the bolt? Or, does one area never quite fit?

If your receiver is a bit out of spec, you may have to do some custom fitting to avoid future breaks.

My layman's thoughts on the reason for the breaks is the hardness of the wood. I noticed that the wood was extremely dry (old) as well. Looks pretty . . . but

if you want this to stop happening have you GS glass bed it. This provides a consistant fit plus it hardens the wood where it connect to the metal.

I sell a lot of the 454 casull cal Rossi's. They are notorious for spliting the stock because of the recoil. I always recommend glass bedding and to date I have not had one come back.

My first Stoeger (which is now about 7 years old) chipped out at the area of the reciever.. but only after I'd take the stock off and put a butt pad on it..

yep... I probably tightened it a smight too much :blink: ... I was able to glue the chips back in place, then I stripped and refinished the stock.. looks ok..

My thought <_< .. I need mored clearance between the reciever and the cutout wood relief...

I cut up an old plastic credit card sample to fit in the small area where the bolt goes through the stock and mates the stock to the reciever..

the thickness of the credit card.. gave me the little extra spacing that I needed..

The cause of the problem was ME!! but the fix to my problem was ME!!

When I bought my next Stoeger.. I again took the stock off to do some work.. but I put that little cut up credit card in the new one to give me the extra spacing...

cuz' I knew I'd probably tighten it tooo much.. the relief area hasn't cracked or split on the second one..

Rance <_<

Thinkin' I done good.. :blush: with the second one.

Archived