SASS Wire Forum

Classic Cowboy Category

D.A. Stranger

The most correct period knife for a cowboy is a folding pocket knife, two blades, folded 3-1/2 ou 4 inches. Easy to store in the vest pocket and commonly used for either eating (one blade) and castrating the steers (second blade) or cutting chewing tobacco.

A fixed blade was certainly not commonly worn by a cowboy as it was not practical during the cattle work, even if Hollywood decided so.

Never heared of castrating steers...

I'm pretty sure that if the knife is intended to be one of the required number of costume items that it needs to be visible. A folding knife in a pocket wouldn't do. I seem to recall this coming up before and that being the ruling.

If you decide to go and make some money castrating steers you best have a back up money source. Them steers done been hit one time already.

DA, I have yet to see anyone mention Marble's knives and they make some fine looking belt knives in sheathes.The original ones made before the sell out a few years back are all good made in the USA Steel.

I'm still fairly new to SASS and think I might like to participate in Classis Cowboy. I have the required firearms and am missing one accoutrement. I would like to purchase a period correct knife. It can be a replica. I would be appreciative if anyone could give me a starting point of where to look and what to purchase. Thanks for taking the time.

www.crazycrow.com is a good place to look too. Good prices and wide variety

DAS

Just a historical note on Damascus knives; during this time period, there weren't alot of Damascus knives around. The true art of damascus steel had nearly died out by the time the Besemer steel process was inroduced. The true damascus technique (developed in Damascus) went through a recent revival in the 20th century and is far more popular and seen more in modern times that would have been found back "in-the-day", just thought you should know that.

Bodine

You're very correct about the damascus, but now that it IS available and becoming an art form; it's darn tough to walk away from the kind of work that Redwing Trading turns out.

There were dang few hollow ground, too. but, some cowboys were luckier than others. I'll bet there were dang few double strong side holsters with conchos and tooling? I wonder how many gun carts were in use? 10x beaver hats? I haven't seen a picture of a cowboy wearing a shotgun belt unless it was a bandalero. Nobody shot AA's or STS's. Ruger? Did I hear someone in this game is shooting RUGERS? :o

This is a fantasy game not a reenactment. Buy/wear whatever you like.

Hello D.A. Stranger. Hope ya become a CLASSIC COWBOY. The knife is not clearly defined in the 5 required items, but generally speaking it is a single, fixed blade with a handle, carried in a sheath. The size and length is not defined. You will see knivies of all sizes, but mainly with bone handles, carried in a leather sheath, wore on the gun belt.

I personally wear a custom boot knife similarly to the one Doc Holiday carried in TOMESTONE, and a 4" Marlin skinning knife(won a match)in a sheath on my gun belt. There were folding knivies in the 1800's, but I think a modern Buck Knife might be questionable and ya might have to pull a folding knife outa your pants if only 4 items were visible.

Ghost

Good answer from one who plays Classic Cowboy as it was/is intended. It is a costume category, and so the old line "I see by your outfit that you are a cowboy" comes to mind! I do not shoot CC, but hang with some folks that do, and to the man, they dress the part - no matter what the heat index may be.

The discussion as to what is period appropriate in terms of a knife is largely academic, and the image may not necessarily be out of the history book, but it's darn sure what it should have been! :)

Archived