SASS Wire Forum

Classic Cowboy Category

D.A. Stranger

I'm still fairly new to SASS and think I might like to participate in Classis Cowboy. I have the required firearms and am missing one accoutrement. I would like to purchase a period correct knife. It can be a replica. I would be appreciative if anyone could give me a starting point of where to look and what to purchase. Thanks for taking the time.

DAS

I dont know but would think REDWING TRADING would be a good place to start.

I'm still fairly new to SASS and think I might like to participate in Classis Cowboy. I have the required firearms and am missing one accoutrement. I would like to purchase a period correct knife. It can be a replica. I would be appreciative if anyone could give me a starting point of where to look and what to purchase. Thanks for taking the time.

DAS

D.A.,

Poke around the vendors at a good sized match. I found mine, an "Original Bowie" probably made in the 1930s, at EOT a couple of years ago. I paid less than what the fellow was asking and more than they were going for on ebay, but the serial number was the same as my badge number so it came home with me.

Next idea is check ebay. Search "Bowie Knife" or other common/period name. Found one nearly identical to mine by searching "vintage bowie knife"

I'm shooting Classic Cowboy, hope you like it as much as I do.

Badge Pusher

Hi Pit Bull,

I'm with you on this one. Just love those folks. They are always so nice and great long-time supporters of SASS.

Well DAS, whattya think of that. ;)

Regards,

AM

You know i always take your advice. I did go to their site, but they don't show prices and I don't know what I'm looking for :rolleyes:

A "period correct" knife would be a Bowie style with a 6" blade or even a butcher knife with a 7 or 8 inch blade. The huge Bowies are too heavy and really not what a cowboy would normally carry. He might have one in his saddlebags for heavier work but not on his belt. Dixie Gun Works carries a nice repo Bowie with a short blade for a reasonable price.

DAS

Hello D.A. Stranger. Hope ya become a CLASSIC COWBOY. The knife is not clearly defined in the 5 required items, but generally speaking it is a single, fixed blade with a handle, carried in a sheath. The size and length is not defined. You will see knivies of all sizes, but mainly with bone handles, carried in a leather sheath, wore on the gun belt.

I personally wear a custom boot knife similarly to the one Doc Holiday carried in TOMESTONE, and a 4" Marlin skinning knife(won a match)in a sheath on my gun belt. There were folding knivies in the 1800's, but I think a modern Buck Knife might be questionable and ya might have to pull a folding knife outa your pants if only 4 items were visible.

Ghost

Howdy Pard!

Could you be a little more specific as to what years and type of character you are portraying? If you're doing a character from around 1860 to early 1870's, large is ok, as many people still carried cap and ball revolvers (not as reliable as cartridge). This would be the tail end for the big bowies (blades of 8, 9, 10 inches and up). As firearms became more reliable, knives became smaller and more utilitarian in use. By the 1880's, 6-8 inches was probably closer to the norm. Of course, certain characters would have specialized knives, such as hunters, who might carry a curved skinning blade (like some of the Green River knives). Ex-Civil War southerners might want something longer and thin, like a Arkansas toothpick. Southwestern characters or those with some mexican heritage might be carrying a belduque styled knife. Lastly, there's Hollywood's approach to belt knives in the 'cowboy' films (not period correct, as you can imagine, but relatively distinct in what they used). All these styles are out there and available at decent prices, if you know where to look. Give me some more info, and I'll try to point you in the correct direction.

The most correct period knife for a cowboy is a folding pocket knife, two blades, folded 3-1/2 ou 4 inches. Easy to store in the vest pocket and commonly used for either eating (one blade) and castrating the steers (second blade) or cutting chewing tobacco.

A fixed blade was certainly not commonly worn by a cowboy as it was not practical during the cattle work, even if Hollywood decided so.

The most correct period knife for a cowboy is a folding pocket knife, two blades, folded 3-1/2 ou 4 inches. Easy to store in the vest pocket and commonly used for either eating (one blade) and castrating the steers (second blade) or cutting chewing tobacco.

A fixed blade was certainly not commonly worn by a cowboy as it was not practical during the cattle work, even if Hollywood decided so.

UM...just be certain you remember which blade you used for which...

LL

Green River Knives.

Yep. The Green River Knife is period correct from the 1840s onward. Still a practical all-around knife today. The knife is inexpensive to boot. Mad Mountain Mike, Miss Tabitha's husband, sells them along with a period correct scabbard he makes himself.

The full size Bowie was much more popular during the percussion era, when a firearm was an iffy propostion in a fight. By the late 1870s, folks who carried a bowie usually had one of a smaller size, perhaps with about a 6" blade. Just like today, a knife is usually preferred if it has practical all-around use such as hunting and food prep. Its use as a weapon would be an unlikely but possible scenario.

Anyway, your scabbard is as important in your choice as your knife if you want to stay "PC".

You can reach Mad Mountain Mike at www.rivercrossinginc.com

As far as period is concerned, let's not forget that local smithies use to make knives from whatever they could find; old files, hand wrot pieces of steel or whatnot. Often these were true Damascus blades, like the one I wear.

I love shooting CC, but I have to admit that trying to be "correct" is a little over the top. There were general styles of dress at the time,but they were not as uniform as one might think. Also, let's not forget that CC owes a great deal to the Movie/TV Classic idea. Hence, there is NO correct period dress outside of SASS. Unless the period is from 1910 onward as seen on the screen. WW

Well, you can always just buy a knife. Anything will satisfy the category requirement as long as it is visible.

But, a Redwing knife will be something to be proud of owning. There aren't many cowboys in this sport that don't know a Redwing just from a glance. The sheaths are beautiful, custom and distinctive all by themselves. But, each and every knife is really a piece of artwork.

Most of them are damascus blades of some fetching design and configuration. The handles are often bone, ivory, mastadon, carved or plain. Right down to the bolsters, pins and guards, Tom makes the most beautiful knives around and has been a major SASS supporter for many, many years.

I'm sorry. :blush:

FYI, Mad Mountain Mike (River Crossing) and Redwing are usually at the Convention.

Regards,

Allie Mo

I like the way you think, always one step ahead. :FlagAm::blush:

Just a historical note on Damascus knives; during this time period, there weren't alot of Damascus knives around. The true art of damascus steel had nearly died out by the time the Besemer steel process was inroduced. The true damascus technique (developed in Damascus) went through a recent revival in the 20th century and is far more popular and seen more in modern times that would have been found back "in-the-day", just thought you should know that.

Bodine

DAS

Go anywhere that has a good kitchen supply department (Kohl's, bed bath and Beyond, restaurant supply store, etc.) and find a 6"-8" butcher's knife with carbon steel blade and wood scales. Also Dixie Gun Works carries them and you can find hundreds available on line.

If you want a folder a Barlow is hard to beat, and River Junction Trade Company has others.

For big belt knives you'll find an admirable selection at Atlanta Cutlery.

I found mine on eBay.

They've got huge selection to choose from and fairly inexpensive.

Frenchy

One of these in the boot http://www.crazycrow.com/beavertail-daggers

And one of these on the rig http://www.crazycrow.com/bowie-knives

Otta do it !!!!!!!!!!!

I like the Santa Fe and the Cherokee...and the Kentucky bowie,the Damascus hunter, the...O-well, I like knives.

I use many different rigs and NEED a different knife for each !!!!!!!!!!

BH :wub:

I dont know but would think REDWING TRADING would be a good place to start.

Dittos, Tom & Karen will take good care of you

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

One of these in the boot http://www.crazycrow.com/beavertail-daggers

And one of these on the rig http://www.crazycrow.com/bowie-knives

Otta do it !!!!!!!!!!!

I like the Santa Fe and the Cherokee...and the Kentucky bowie,the Damascus hunter, the...O-well, I like knives.

I use many different rigs and NEED a different knife for each !!!!!!!!!!

BH :wub:

I know hat you mean, knives are like tattoos, ya just can't get one.

If you want a smaller but still visible knife, a patch knife worn on a thong around your neck would be one option.

Another would be a push dagger, sticking up out of a boot or from behind a belt buckle.

Either could have a 2-3" blade.

Here's one for about $25k

http://www.icollector.com/Important-and-rare-original-push-dagger-by-Will-Finck-of-San-Francisco-California-pictured-on-th_i8787505

Try http://www.knifesupply.com/

They have a great variety of knives and good prices.

I bought this one. http://www.knifesupply.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=CT414

-Pico Pistolero

blog.picopistolero.com

DAS

Choctaw Silver Wolf can make anything you desire. His work is nothing but "TOP NOTCH"!! You can find him listed here as a member. :FlagAm:B)

Archived