SASS Wire Forum

Advice Please.. How much will I loose?

Festus Hagan 571

I am asking for advise. I currently shoot either a pair of SASS Vaqueros or My blue and case SASS Colt SAA "B" engraved with Bob James action job and my blue and case SAA (no engraving) with Bob Munden action job. NOW HERE IS THE QUESTION: I have a pair of "B" engraved nickel SAA"s that I am dying to shoot. They are the new 3rd generation with the removable cylinder bushing (like the 2nd generation). I currently have ebony grips on them but I am seriously considering having action jobs and fitting them with TRU IVORY grips over the winter and shooting them this coming spring. They are currently new in box so should I do this crazy thing? I will probably only shoot them in 1 or 2 matches a year. They are beautiful and I have about $6,000 in them! On one hand I believe guns are made to shoot. On the other hand I think these are better suited (and more valuable) as curio guns to look at, drool over and handle with gloved hands only. PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE! Will I really llose a lot if I tweak and shoot them?

Thanks Pards,

Festus :blink:

Beats me if the value will change if tweaked and shot. I guess I'm of the opinion of guns should be shot. If I ever won a collector grade gun of some sort, I'd either shoot it, or sell it and buy something I could shoot... probably sell it and buy several shooters. :D

Guest Texas Jack Black

Who engraved the Colts? If they came fully loaded from the custom shop leave them alone and shoot the Rugers they hold no real value. If the Colts have been played with and had outside work done to them I would also shoot them. IMHO

T J B

Festus:

I offer you two analogies to help you decide what to do with those fine revolvers:

First, if you married Sophia Loren, would you then put her in a convent?

Second, if you bought a Porsche 911 Turbo, would you exceed the speed limit every chance you could safely?

If you answered yes to these analogies, SHOOT EM' and enjoy life.

Amarillo Rattler

If yer gonna invite me over fer an all you can eat BBQ and a keg of beer just to show me them purty pistols.........don't chutem........If'n ya wanna showem off ta a lot of Pards........chutem..........you will save money in the long run, I can eat alotta BBQ

Wyatt

I don't know..when your laying on your death bed, thinking over your life.

What will be the one thing you wish you had done with those beautiful ol colts?!!!!!!

A pile of money or lifes simple pleasures, which one do you think we'll be able to take with us!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BH

If I don't shoot a firearm for two years, I sell it.

I do not collect, I shoot.

If they were mine, I would shoot them.

Not only that, I would let other shoot them as well.

Why not enjoy them?

I agree.

Festus:

I offer you two analogies to help you decide what to do with those fine revolvers:

First, if you married Sophia Loren, would you then put her in a convent?

Second, if you bought a Porsche 911 Turbo, would you exceed the speed limit every chance you could safely?

If you answered yes to these analogies, SHOOT EM' and enjoy life.

Amarillo Rattler

Actually, I believe that if you answered no to the first and yes to the second, shoot the snot out of them hoglegs son. If you said yes, then no... sell 'em and buy something you'd shoot. You ain't gonna see any appreciable increase in their value over your lifetime, anyway.

When ya die, they just shovel dirt in your face and sell your stuff at the yard sale. :P

Life is too short not to eat off of the good china. I say, shoot and enjoy those Colts. ;)

They only have cash value if you would ever trade or sell them. If you would enjoy shooting them and never plan to sell/trade them, then there is no consideration to their value other than insurance purposes.

Another possibility would be to keep one as a BBQ gun (look that up) and use the other to finance two real SAA's tuned for SASS. Best of both worlds.

I say shoot them. They were meant to be shot. Like a 57 Chevy is worth more now than when new, but I'd still be driving it on weekends up and down the Pacific Coast Hiway. My Colts made in 1900 38-40 WCF are still taken out and shot, they like to

Buck and Roar just as much now as back in the day. I smile as I shoot them more than I do just holding them. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Archived