SASS Wire Forum

lead bullets

cookie SASS #3445

It depends on which aspect of bullet performance you are considering. The base is important if your going for accuracy at a distance, say out past 40 yards. Depending on your velocity, the base can effect leading. At the distance we shoot I don't consider a bullet to be a cull unless it is completely misshapen. At moderate velocity, I wouldn't get too picky. The base does news to be filled out completely if not "pretty."

I do however have An appreciation for quality bullets ad won't order from a supplier who ships substandard.

Coffinmaker

I agree that we don't have to have flawless bullets at the distances we shoot, but I'd let the supplier know what you got and see what he say's. I cast my own and throw em back into the pot if they look bad. ;)

What do you define as culls? Surface flaws?

I bought several boxes of 250 grain .45s which were actually between 235 and 246 grains. Figuring the lighter ones probably had minute air pockets and might wobble, I set aside 200 of the heaviest for "long range pistol caliber" and used the rest for everyday CAS usage. There were no obvious surface flaws however.

Archived