SASS Wire Forum

Difference of Opinions when around Guns

Texas Man

Several of Us oldtimers were talking the other day about how things have changed over the years and one subject was being around guns. I was raised in rual Texas and guns were just a part of everday life. Behind ever door going outside was a loaded rifle or shotgun and next to the bed was a loaded handgun with in arms reach. It was just a way of life at the time. As young childern we were taught to respect all guns and only touch one when ask to or needed. And futher more we never had a single problem that I can remember that ever caused a problem.

Then in later years, When we talked about a gun and showed it to a friend the first thing we did was either unload it or tell the friend it was loaded and in most cases we never told them because they all knew all our guns were always loaded anyway. And as a young boy several of us used to bring our 22s to school with us and sit them in the corner and on the way home try to pop a rabbit or quail for supper. Ever pickup in the rual areas had a gun rack over the rear window and most carried a Winchester 94 loaded and ready just in case. My Dad was not much for guns but my Mom always had a 38 S&W in her purse or car when she traveled.

Never in My early years did I ever hear of a problem from a loaded gun around the house or anyones house. And as far as I knew there were no laws either about having a gun around anywhere other than on ones person in Texas. And as far as that goes, Almost ever man in rual areas carried a loaded handgun on him anyway at all times lawful or not and knew how to use it and would if need be. There was a lot of respect back then.

Now on to today, I have no fear when a man has a gun on him when around me nor should he around me. I started to carry a 45 when I was in my teens and many times I was out in the wilds away from any help should something come up. My grandfathers both slept with a loaded handgun under their pillow and one had to use it one night when two men had come to kill him. I started doing the same when I was in my mid teens as well. Later before the CCL came out, I as well as most other men I knew carried a handgun near or on them anyway. I understood and knew that one would never know when trouble would come my way and be dammed if I was going to be empty handed if trouble did come my way or in the way of others of my friends. In My area of Texas it was just a way of everday life. Understanding the law as to what was justified by the way of deadly force a well know by everone and should one have to use it, They knew that if It was justified their fellow men would do the right thing in court.

Perhaps, Some would not understand how things can be so different here than in other areas. I have been out in the wilds for days at a time far from help in areas where smugglers and drug runners ruled the land and would kill a man just to see him fall. I have spent a lot of time across the border where there was no law and saw things that I dont like to talk about and when the times came it was total hell to pay. In Texas we had the best lawmen in the world around us most of the time but distances are long here and many many times the only law you had was on your hip. In the area I spend a lot of time in it was common to get shot at or find a dead body or more on any day of the week and popping sounds around you were telltail sings that you were someones target when dust was kicking up and catus was flying in your face or misquite limbs fell next to you.

The only time I am afrade of someone with a gun is some dude that has no respect for it or anyone else. My Parents would plant a boot in his ass if he tried that around them back then and I have booted afew in the ass myself. I was taught what a gun was for and how to respect it and my fellow man when one was handled. Today with all the laws and such some of Us still remember how we were taught.

Your Pard, Texas Man

Texas Man,

About 10 years ago I was talking with my wife's great aunt.She was in her late 90's at the time.. She said I don't see what the problem is with kids bringing guns to school, the boys used to do it all the time when I was girl. She grew up in Texas. She said the boys left thier guns just inside the door when they entered the school house and they never had any problems.

I have lived in California all my life and it wasn't always as bad as it is now. When I was in my teens, me and my buddy used to go shooting all the time. Adults never questioned two teen boys with guns, that was the late 70's-early 80's. Now the SWAT team would be called and my parents would probably end up in jail. My parents never worried about me shooting anyone, hell, I never even thought about it. I live in the very liberal wine country and it still wasn't questioned back.

Common sense isn't very common anymore!

Hi Texas Man,

It's a pleasure to hear from you again.

My experience with guns was extremely minimal. We lived in town and my dad didn't hunt. However, he kept all of his long guns (maybe four or so) in the closet by the front door. It would have never occurred to me to touch them. When we went on trips, he always had a revolver with him. IIRC, it was under his seat or on the nightstand in hotels. I doubt he had a permit.

I went Dove hunting with neighbors, who were my age, once when I was in college.

I'm so glad to have found SASS and learned to use a variety of guns. It sure helps me sleep better.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Several years ago one of them TV shows, 20/20 I think it was, did a special on this. They went to a day-care center and put a fake but real-looking gun in the toybox. Kids that had been raised around guns went and got the day-care workers every time it came out. Kids that had either been kept away from guns and or been preached to about how evil guns are picked it up and immediately began pointing it at others and pulling the trigger making the "pow-pow" to go along with it.

This may be on-line somewhere but my old computer and dial-up won't do anything that has videos. Maybe somebody can find it a dn post a link?

I have the same experiences as Texas man growing up. When a teacher would ask "Does anyone have a pocket knife?" at least six boys would offer one up. Now they'd call the SWAT teams and close the city down over something like that.

Bodine

Bodine's comment reminded me of my own experience. When I was in high school I had a pocket knife on me all the time, as did plenty of other guys. Not hidden,but clipped inside the pocket, top sticking out for all to see. Nobody ever said boo, even thought Columbine was a recent memory. Once I got into college I started getting the occasional comment about it but in my younger years it was no big deal.

I also agree with the idea that kids that are raised with guns are unlikely to let their curiosity get them into trouble. We only had a couple guns growing up but I was taught gun safety at a young age. Thus when I was 7 years old riding around with grandpa in his truck, I admired the Ruger .44 mag stuck under the seat but wouldn't dream of touching it. That gun was as safe in the open as if it were locked up, because my parents drilled the following into my head; 1) Don't touch what doesn't belong to you. 2) Don't play with guns outside of shooting them on a range with adult supervision.

Having been born and raised in the California hills, I was raised with hunting and loaded guns in the house, along with having knives at school (remember mumblypeg during breaks?). My wife was not. She was fearful of guns as many flat-landers are but came to learn guns are tools like anything else. My son was taught about gun safety from the age of three and like a previous post, made sure his friends stayed away from guns in our house. I am sad to say many of his friends were not taught these same skills.

My state is among the more restricted when comes to gun laws but we still have the right to keep them for our use as tools, protection, or in pleasure at the range. I am not fearful of folks with guns, I am fearful of the politicians who are trying to take our guns. Every time a nutjob uses a gun for his own screwed up reason, the gun grabbers are out to take them all to protect us from ourselves. Not! They want to disarm use so we can't protect ourselves from them!

The states with CCW laws are still on the right track. Bravo to Florida, Texas, Arizona, and all the others who recognize the citizen's rights. We will continue the fight on the left coast.

Thanks for reminding me of good memories from the past Texas Man.

Jailhouse Jim

Archived