SASS Wire Forum

Small single action?

Long Branch Louie

What's the smallest quality single action available? Something about the size of a 642 S&W. I'm considering switching to a single action for concealed carry since it's what I shoot the most. I'm a wheel gun guy anyway....

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

Howdy, I carry two single actions, one is a Ruger 3 1/2 45LC sheriffs model with ejector rod and the other is a Uberti 3 1/2 sheriffs in 45LC without a ejector rod on it. I've carried both for a lot of years, I also carry a 357 magnum derringer

ENG :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Guest diablo slim shootist

why? :unsure: i would stick with double action any day ;)

I love my snubie 357 -never leave home without it :P

Get one in 45 long colt or 44 special!

I have 3 favorites, and may carry any one of them as the spirit moves me, or the particular clothing I am wearing that day dictates.

Ruger SP 101 357 Mag., Kahr CW-9, and a 32 H&R Mag. Derringer.

RBK

Uberti Stallion is a small frame single-action revolver. I believe they make some with a 3 1/2" barrel. They don't have transfer bars so you'd want to only carry with five in the cylinder. They have both plowhandle and birdshead grips.

What's the smallest quality single action available? Something about the size of a 642 S&W. I'm considering switching to a single action for concealed carry since it's what I shoot the most. I'm a wheel gun guy anyway....

Wouldn't you be better off with a Ruger SP 101 357 Mag. w/exposed hammer. It's double/single action, but operates best in single action mode. Has the transfer bar so you can load all 5 chambers. Very small, and very powerful, and easy to carry concealed.

RBK

One of the 'smallest' I can think of right now is the Ruger Bearcat.

You didn't ask about caliber but it is in .22

..........Widder

That would dwarf the tiny North American Arms Mini. :lol:

To answer the quest that was asked.

The Uberti Stallion was mentioned, it is not a bad gun. However I feel the Ruger Single Six 32 would be a better choice. You have the Ruger reputation of building a good strong SA. Cut the barrel down to 3.5. If you had to have a 38. Several people convert the SS to 38.

There are several good choices that have been recommended but without going into a lot more detail things get pretty iffy here. The tiny NA revolvers might be of good quality but I would never consider them as practical for a first line self defense handgun and for the same reasons I would probably say no to the Ruger Bear Cat. Caliber aside, I think these guns are just to small and coarse for reasonable manipulation in most adult hands. Even when the grand kids were pretty small they preferred the Ruger SS .22 over the Bear Cat due to the really poor action in those little guns. Im sure someone will correct me if I am wrong BUT I have been told here on the WIRE that BCs were not practical guns for much in the way of action jobs for childrens smaller weaker hands??

Next up in size we find the small Uberti .38 spec and Ruger Single Six .32, based on caliber, my hands down pick would be the Uberti but you have not specified any caliber preference. I have heard a few minor complaints on the Uberti but nothing that would lead me to believe it is less than a quality product that holds up reasonably well in SASS competition. The other option promoted was converting a Ruger SS to 38spec, not familiar with this option though I have heard of it. I would not want to spend that kind of big dollars for a gun conversion that is pretty much already offered by Uberti and lets face it, Ruger does not want to compete on that ground for some reason.

I think this pretty much covers the range of whats out there in small + quality single actions but we do not know what you are comfortable with, caliber wise to pin it down further? Next step up is into the standard Colt SAA size guns. Since I am playing with a concept that I do not even begin to accept anyway, as an exercise in what is possible, we could talk about the tiny Remington or Colt'49 cap and ball revolvers and equipping either with a Kirst Converter .32 Cylinder!

The NAA mini revolvr in 22 mag is a decent way to go. I know many frown on it but as a police officer we watched a lot of videos from dash cameras of officers who ran into trouble so we could learn from them. One case a GA resident over 200 pounds was carrying drugs through SC. A 6 ft fine shape ex Marine State Trooper pulls hom over. The GA boy is carrying a NAA mini revolver in 22. He pulls it and shoots the trooper who responds with 6 rounds of 357 magnum black talon into the GA resident's chest. The trooper died on the spot, the druggie is still on death row alive and well. The 22 mag round does not have a lot of stopping power but it does bounce all over the body ripping as it goes. The trooper was shot above the vest and below it and fell back on each round. He sort of crumpled to the ground and died slowly. :(

Don't go with teh 22 short though. Another fellow I heard of decided to committ suicide using 22 short in a rifle. He tried 17 times and each time the round went into his skin at the temple, hit the skull and followed the skull to the top of the head and exited. He is fine now too from what I hear.

There is always someone who chooses what is behind door #3. ^_^

Like you I also like the idea of a small frame single action revolver for concealed carry. If anything Ruger firearms are well known for strength and relibility so that made the Ruger Single-Six my choice.

However I am a big bore (over 40 cal.)fan. I don't put a lot of stock in hollowpoints expanding when needed most (Murphy's law) so I like a big bullet cause they let air in and blood out. So that ruled out the Single-Six 32. The only S.A. that filled the bill was a Colt SAA or clone. The Colt SAA could be improved even more by careful removal of metal on the frame.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL763/13286435/23872251/398418312.jpg

However I wanted something smaller so that left me going the total custom gun route. After reading about the 41 Special cartridge and the Ruger Single-Six in one package I knew what I wanted. Their are several not to small factors to consider when going this route.

First and most important is cost. I already have a Old Model Single-Six for a base gun but the cash cost for the conversion is still hefty.

Second is the 41 Special is a wildcat which means reloading. The 41 is a easy wildcat to make only requiring 41 Magnum brass to 44 Special length. Does a 220 gr. lead SWC @ 800 fps sound familiar?

The third consideration is use of reloaded ammunition for self defense. I am not interested in debating the legal difficulties of use of reloaded in S.D. Sufficent to say I have researched it carefully and have yet to find a criminal case where the defendent was tried for use of reloads. There is more hyperbole on the subject as the sinking of PT109. So if use of reloads is a concern go no further.

My perfect packing choice is (or will be when its done) a Ruger Single-Six 5 shot 41 Special,

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL763/13286435/23872251/398418185.jpg

(not my gun. Mine is under construction)

Anyway with a big budget anything is possible.

Many people when considering a concealed carry handgun don't think beyond the target range. Of course, any quality firearm works fine on the range where you have the luxury of taking your time and the target doesn't shoot back. Most civilians have never been in a life-or-death situation involving a firearm.

Fast forward to a situation where your life is in danger and you are forced to use that concealed handgun you have been carrying all these weeks?, months?, years? Will you be able to assess the situation in time to use your handgun? Remember, the bad guy isn't going to give you prior warning and situational awareness is key. Also, take into account that your adrenalin will be pumping at supersonic speed. Many people under extreme stress get a case of "the stupids." When that happens, these people "forget" what they have been taught intellectually and do dumb things. Muscle memory is paramount in these situations. Many things (like firing a pistol or revolver) become more difficult and the shooter can make mistakes. With single-action revolvers, accidentally short-stroking the piece will cause a misfire. Such a situation could be fatal. While not in an emergency situation, I found myself doing just that while riding a horse in a mounted shooting match. I have been handling and shooting single-action revolvers since 1963, and I managed to short-stroke my gun. I took that as a wake-up call and a learning experience.

When selecting a handgun for self defense under high-stress, the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)principle is the operative one. Look for the simplest handgun you can find. I have found the the Smith & Wesson Model 642 hammerless double-action revolver is both simple and reliable. No hammers to cock, no safeties to disengage, no magazine releases to accidentally press, any misfire can be easily overcome by pressing the trigger again....just hit the "go button" and shoot. I love my single-action revolvers, but not for personal defense.

The final consideration is how much are you willing to practice with the gun you choose? You must be accurate as well as fast. As opposed to the movies, shots that miss the targets go someplace.....into somebody's house, car, an innocent bystander, etc. High-capacity magazines are nice, but if you need 19 shots to settle the issue, you may be in more trouble than you realize, or you're just "spraying and praying." In either case, you may incur legal issues that you don't want or need. Ammunition choice is another issue. If you use you own handloads you may be asking for trouble because the "victim's" defense lawyer will try to shift the focus of the trial to you and how you loaded these "cop killer" bullets and decided to experiment on his client. The solution is to use factory ammo, preferrably the same as used by local law-enforcement.

These just some of my thoughts on the subject. Of course, everyone has his/her own opinions. I am definitely in-favor of concealed-carry by law-abiding citizens, but we should keep thses things in mind as we go about our business armed.

Happy trails, Squint

I like my Charter Bulldog Pug 44 Special. It carries a Cylinder full of the Hornandy New Critical Defense 44 Hollow points.

It is "J" frame size and packs nice,both open and concealed carry.

The Truck gun is a Uberti 5 1/2" SA Army 45. ;)

Thanks forall the in put. Maybe as some have said, I'll just stick with my S&W 642. It's about as simple as it gets, and the simpler the better in a life and death situation. However, I could use this as an excuse to buy more guns.... :lol:

Archived