SASS Wire Forum

Be Careful Out There Sunday

Chicago was also mentioned by Homeland Security but it never hit the news...

Typical Fed info sharing..... "There's something going on......" "What?" "We can't tell you........"

I guess they like to scare folks enough to be careful but not start a full blown panic. :blink:

When I was in NYC a couple three years ago we were at the Empire State Building, and a bunch of law came screaming down the road with sirens blowing, and what looked like a SWAT team piled out and ran inside. Being somewhat concerned I asked someone what the &^*$ was going on, and they said "Don't worry, they do that all the time." Apparently a show of force to worry any would be terrorist and/or a readiness exercise.

JHC (what hopes the boogers have something better to do than blow up the Presbyterian church in Abilene)

Must be credible cuz they had a special report in the middle of the football game to tell you about it (for about 10 minutes)

That report may have been the best example of Mr Bloomberg et al talking and not saying a thing I have ever seen. If they want us to be careful give us something to be careful about, not

get people worrying about who knows what. :ph34r:

Not to belittle the need for heightened awareness on the anniversary of a terrible act of war but it is flat impossible to maintain an alert posture forever. particularly when you do not have the info needed as to what you are being alert to.

Regards

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Sorry, got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning

Remember those innocents who died, the folks who fought to rescue them, and the rest who have since fought to keep us safe.

Then go home and load more ammunition.

No sense being worried about something you cannot see or touch; instead, prepare for the time when you can see it and reach out and touch it.

LL

Remember those innocents who died, the folks who fought to rescue them, and the rest who have since fought to keep us safe.

Then go home and load more ammunition.

No sense being worried about something you cannot see or touch; instead, prepare for the time when you can see it and reach out and touch it.

LL

+1 :FlagAm:

I guess they like to scare folks enough to be careful but not start a full blown panic. :blink:

When I was in NYC a couple three years ago we were at the Empire State Building, and a bunch of law came screaming down the road with sirens blowing, and what looked like a SWAT team piled out and ran inside. Being somewhat concerned I asked someone what the &^*$ was going on, and they said "Don't worry, they do that all the time." Apparently a show of force to worry any would be terrorist and/or a readiness exercise.

JHC (what hopes the boogers have something better to do than blow up the Presbyterian church in Abilene)

That's what they call a "surge". Bring a large number of police, cars, command post together to one area of town to test the department's response times and organization. The Israelis do it all the time.

Be careful everywhere. A clever terrorist hits targets that will effect the maximum number of people. That doesn't mean kill and injure the maximum amount, just terrorize. Hitting a small town in the heartland would be a very effective tactic to terrorize the populace. Note overseas how many restaurants, churches, and market places are targets every day.

Al Qaeda has been focused in the past on symbolic targets like the twin Towers, embassies, overseas military bases, etc. That was Bin Laden's strategy. The game may have changed.

Don't be paranoid, but remain vigilant, even in east podunk. :FlagAm:

Be careful everywhere. A clever terrorist hits targets that will effect the maximum number of people. That doesn't mean kill and injure the maximum amount, just terrorize. Hitting a small town in the heartland would be a very effective tactic to terrorize the populace. Note overseas how many restaurants, churches, and market places are targets every day.

Al Qaeda has been focused in the past on symbolic targets like the twin Towers, embassies, overseas military bases, etc. That was Bin Laden's strategy. The game may have changed.

Don't be paranoid, but remain vigilant, even in east podunk. :FlagAm:

Good advice from UB.

The focus on anniversaries and such has been with a few exceptions, unwarranted. McVeigh, as an exception for example, did choose an anniversary. Nevertheless, it seems the vast majority of terror attacks in the past forty years have been unprecedented and to a great extent, targets of opportunity, i.e., softer (not necessarily soft) targets than other, more seemingly obvious targets. Good prediction is a virtual non-sequitor, dependent as it is on good humint, meaning mostly good, solid intentions intelligence.

When we were looking at the Levant in the wake of the 24 MAU bombing, there were a whole lot of prevaricators out peddling their tales to any collector willing to pay for the story. The same tale would be called in from, it seemed, every outpost of civilization as the seller of the tale made the circuit. The political reaction was to "take action" or more precisely to cause oneself to be seen as taking action just in case, even when the source was a known fabricator.

And then there is the "Paradox of Warning." If your take action based on a source and information deemed "credible" and the target diverts from the planned locus of the attack, or takes effective defensive measures, and nothing happens as a result, you will like as not, never know the reason. Rather you will be castigated for making the ship or the shop owner or the citizen take some action for "no good reason."

Not so very different from a street cop running a stable of sources on the beat. Lots of folks willing to tell you what you want to hear, even if they have to make it up themselves. Sometimes, all you can do it pass the tip along and pray it's wrong, because you can't be everywhere and in most cases, you can't defend against every perceived threat out there.

And of course, despite how hard you pound that beat, no matter how much you try to corroborate and assess and disseminate a snitch's info, if you are looking right and the bad guys come in from the left, it is known far and wide as an "Intelligence Failure." And the folks who are calling you "pigs" and "jack-booted thugs" and demanding increased oversight of your operations and greater restraints on your information or intelligence collection programs are the first ones to demand your head and a thorough investigation of why you failed to predict human behavior.

Sometimes, all you can do is look for that something that just doesn't look right. JDLR.

UB is right.

Be careful out there.

Be careful everywhere.

I can understand the warning to New York, but why Washington DC. I am no military strategist, but what could they gain by bombing Washington DC? :unsure: There is no intelligence there?

Not much, to be sure. It's mainly symbolic I guess. When you take the capital, you take the country.

JHC

I can understand the warning to New York, but why Washington DC. I am no military strategist, but what could they gain by bombing Washington DC? :unsure: There is no intelligence there?

Shhh.... just when things were looking promising you had to let the cat out of the bag.. what were you thinking? Second choice, how about sacremento? lol

Archived