SASS Wire Forum

Hey BMC - tell us a fish story!

Grizzly Dave

Back when I lived in tha swamp, the queen of England just showed up. So we fired up the BBQ, boiled some crawfish and blue crab and had a big ol time. Her favorite was the crawfish, she really liked to suck the heads. Then, outta nowwhere, this big ol ornery gator showed up and tried to make off the roast pig! Ole queenie pulls out a dragoon and dispates him in short order. After cleanin and skinnin that varmit, we fried it up. So good. I dried and bleached the teeth and made a necklace for the queen, which I hear tell she wears to formal events of state sometime.

Back when I lived in tha swamp, the queen of England just showed up. So we fired up the BBQ, boiled some crawfish and blue crab and had a big ol time. Her favorite was the crawfish, she really liked to suck the heads. Then, outta nowwhere, this big ol ornery gator showed up and tried to make off the roast pig! Ole queenie pulls out a dragoon and dispates him in short order. After cleanin and skinnin that varmit, we fried it up. So good. I dried and bleached the teeth and made a necklace for the queen, which I hear tell she wears to formal events of state sometime.

I thunk that yours is the better story. :lol:

Now dats a good story!

Got any more?

I'll toss ya one, Grizz.

Out a few years back with a couple of pals, trolling in Martha's Vineyard Sound for blues. Running steel wire with Hoochie lures...about 100' out behind the boat.

Suddenly, screamin' and yellin' from behind;a Cambridge type sea kayaker had run across our stern and entangled himself in our lines; said lots of nasty things about us mean fish killer, and threatened to "report us", but he couldn't quite say to whom or for what. We got him clear, and he paddled off with much commotion.

About ten minutes later, our clickers went off and our lines were both sweeping to port, in unison, in the same general direction the kayaker has gone; we figured our friend was back, or maybe playing with our gear.

Nope. We saw two large dorsal fins breaking the surface, side-by-side. They rolled slightly and eye-balled us - two large Great Whites, with our Hoochies in their mouths. We let them run until we hit the backers on the reels, and then cut them. We'll take small sharks, but not large ones; not enough room in the boat...

Wonder if they ran across the sea kayaker????

LL

I'll toss ya one, Grizz.

Out a few years back with a couple of pals, trolling in Martha's Vineyard Sound for blues. Running steel wire with Hoochie lures...about 100' out behind the boat.

Suddenly, screamin' and yellin' from behind;a Cambridge type sea kayaker had run across our stern and entangled himself in our lines; said lots of nasty things about us mean fish killer, and threatened to "report us", but he couldn't quite say to whom or for what. We got him clear, and he paddled off with much commotion.

About ten minutes later, our clickers went off and our lines were both sweeping to port, in unison, in the same general direction the kayaker has gone; we figured our friend was back, or maybe playing with our gear.

Nope. We saw two large dorsal fins breaking the surface, side-by-side. They rolled slightly and eye-balled us - two large Great Whites, with our Hoochies in their mouths. We let them run until we hit the backers on the reels, and then cut them. We'll take small sharks, but not large ones; not enough room in the boat...

Wonder if they ran across the sea kayaker????

LL

Did you offer them (Great Whites) a toothpick, Loophole?

Do you ever run bait off a downrigger in the Martha's Vineyard Sound?

I find that is my preference for King Salmon.

I have a pair of older Penn manual riggers, with an 8 pound ball on wire cables.

Of course we are down about 100 feet, and I have no idea at what depth stripers run.

I doubt that they go that far down on a regular basis. For Salmon I rig a cut plug herring

or a hoochie with a strip of herring and a Lure Jensen Flasher about thirty yards behind the

boat on a very slow troll. Just enough to work the flasher.

Did you offer them (Great Whites) a toothpick, Loophole?

Do you ever run bait off a downrigger in the Martha's Vineyard Sound?

I find that is my preference for King Salmon.

I have a pair of older Penn manual riggers, with an 8 pound ball on wire cables.

Of course we are down about 100 feet, and I have no idea at what depth stripers run.

I doubt that they go that far down on a regular basis. For Salmon I rig a cut plug herring

or a hoochie with a strip of herring and a Lure Jensen Flasher about thirty yards behind the

boat on a very slow troll. Just enough to work the flasher.

Not really much need for a downrigger in the Sound; until the water really heats up, they're in the top 25 feet in sufficient numbers to fill your box. When it gets hot, and they head for holes, you find a ton of keeper stripers with chunk bait with 4 OZ lead sinkers - no more than 40' or so.. Now, if I had a really big boat, and could make the offshore run out to the Canyon or beyond, I'd be thinking about big gear, tuna, sharks, and such.

As it is, I'm happy (and boat mortgage free) staying mostly in the Sound.

Nothing tops fresh caught fluke, fileted and butter fried, the same morning that you caught them.

LL.

I've only fished off a boat twice. First time trolling in a lake in eastern Colorado and caught a nice walleye, them things have teeth! Second time was with hand lines on the great barrier reef in Australia. Fairly good group of us, about half didn't much care about fishing, and they caught fish, me, I was all about the fishing, and I caught none.

Edit, I take that back, I guess I did fish off a boat in a lake in Texas with my cousin for bass, don't know that we caught much or I'd remember it. We did catch a bunch of channel cats off the dock that night as we sat and drank beer though.

I've only fished off a boat twice. First time trolling in a lake in eastern Colorado and caught a nice walleye, them things have teeth! Second time was with hand lines on the great barrier reef in Australia. Fairly good group of us, about half didn't much care about fishing, and they caught fish, me, I was all about the fishing, and I caught none.

Edit, I take that back, I guess I did fish off a boat in a lake in Texas with my cousin for bass, don't know that we caught much or I'd remember it. We did catch a bunch of channel cats off the dock that night as we sat and drank beer though.

Yep; very little connection between wantin' to catch a fish and catchin' a fish.......

I've been very fortunate. I've fished in several places in the Carribean, in Canada, and throughout New England. I love fly fishing, but don't do enough of it to be good at it (sorta like SASS - too many interests, not enough time). But for me, I'll try anywhere on a boat, and anywhere that a kid is fishing; hard to beat the look on a youngster's face when you hand him a loaded rod....

LL

Fishing from a boat around here is getting to be like fishing on the freeway. A lot of boats here in the Puget Sound basin and a lot of them are not fishing boats. The salmon have been hit hard in the last several years with overfishing, poor fishing regs and environmental changes. The streams do not

produce the new fish that they once did and the state is not developing either the stream beds or the hatchery programs to bring them back. We got a lot of lip service for our tax dollars and the folks at

WDFW, for the most part, are good people. The problem is politics, as usual, and greed.

Because of health issues, I have not been fishing for the last couple of years other than a line in the water here or there. I just finished a two year project to get my 14 foot aluminum boat ready to go.

Now my fishing partner is down with a medical issue. Grandson is working all the time and Captain Jack doesn't want any part of the boat. :wacko:

I have a brand new rod and reel that has never seen water and a new rig that got wet once. I think I

will hit the steelhead hard this fall. I have even gone so far as to consider selling the boat and taking up knitting. :lol:

If you take up knitting, that will take up all of your time best sell yer guns too. I'll buy them off ya, how does twenty bucks sound? I'll even pay shipping.

I know what you mean by fishing on a free way, last time I hunted on public land ya had to take yer own rock to sit on, not a situation I care to repeat. Talked to a guy one day who said he'd gotten a couple of 'sound shots' I asked what that was, he said 'you know, you hear something in the trees and shoot at it.' I watched which way he went and went in the exact opposite direction.

If you take up knitting, that will take up all of your time best sell yer guns too. I'll buy them off ya, how does twenty bucks sound? I'll even pay shipping.

I know what you mean by fishing on a free way, last time I hunted on public land ya had to take yer own rock to sit on, not a situation I care to repeat. Talked to a guy one day who said he'd gotten a couple of 'sound shots' I asked what that was, he said 'you know, you hear something in the trees and shoot at it.' I watched which way he went and went in the exact opposite direction.

That is the biggest reason I quit hunting long time ago, I HAD been shot at

Now dats a good story!

Got any more?

There was this time not long after the visit from the queen, that I caught some low down varmit at my still. He was bendin over, made a real nice target for a scatter gun blast. Boom! It was none other than James Carville! And he was MAD! Started after me, and he could move fast despite the fact his backside was full of rock salt from my scatter gun. I reloaded and started to aim, them out of nowhere a big ole buzzard swoops down and takes off with my shotgun! I started runnin, James Carville was all red in tha face, screamin, hollern, and cussin! After bout couple miles I came across a swamp rat bout as big a shrimp boat. I jumped on his back and he started gallopin off. After a while, ole James Carville started gainin groud. (Well, he was full of corn squezzins which has properties like jet fuel.) Carville took a big leap and caught onto the swamp rats tail. That rat swished its tail toward its mouth and swallerd James Carville whole. I commenced to walkin home and the last I saw of the swamp rat, looked like he had a baaad case of indigestion.

Yup, it's not a good feeling listening to a bullet ZING past you.

Tell me about it !! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Fishing from a boat around here is getting to be like fishing on the freeway. A lot of boats here in the Puget Sound basin and a lot of them are not fishing boats. The salmon have been hit hard in the last several years with overfishing, poor fishing regs and environmental changes. The streams do not

produce the new fish that they once did and the state is not developing either the stream beds or the hatchery programs to bring them back. We got a lot of lip service for our tax dollars and the folks at

WDFW, for the most part, are good people. The problem is politics, as usual, and greed.

Because of health issues, I have not been fishing for the last couple of years other than a line in the water here or there. I just finished a two year project to get my 14 foot aluminum boat ready to go.

Now my fishing partner is down with a medical issue. Grandson is working all the time and Captain Jack doesn't want any part of the boat. :wacko:

I have a brand new rod and reel that has never seen water and a new rig that got wet once. I think I

will hit the steelhead hard this fall. I have even gone so far as to consider selling the boat and taking up knitting. :lol:

I bet the fish spiked you water so you don't feel like fishing... Can you knit me a rifle bag this winter?

Knit one, drop one, knit one, drop one, pearl two, knit one.

Drop one??? Drop what? Are you going to drop my gun? Gosh, you can knit one peal two... I am surprised.. lol... Did you use to knit fishing tackel?

Seein as Badger is retard, guessin he took up kniten. Last I heard, he's tryin to knit up spare parts for his Remington.

So, he is knitting up MESH??? Geesh.. Oh, gosh a whole new idea for a corset.. lol.... Nah. .never mind..

There was this time not long after the visit from the queen, that I caught some low down varmit at my still. He was bendin over, made a real nice target for a scatter gun blast. Boom! It was none other than James Carville! And he was MAD! Started after me, and he could move fast despite the fact his backside was full of rock salt from my scatter gun. I reloaded and started to aim, them out of nowhere a big ole buzzard swoops down and takes off with my shotgun! I started runnin, James Carville was all red in tha face, screamin, hollern, and cussin! After bout couple miles I came across a swamp rat bout as big a shrimp boat. I jumped on his back and he started gallopin off. After a while, ole James Carville started gainin groud. (Well, he was full of corn squezzins which has properties like jet fuel.) Carville took a big leap and caught onto the swamp rats tail. That rat swished its tail toward its mouth and swallerd James Carville whole. I commenced to walkin home and the last I saw of the swamp rat, looked like he had a baaad case of indigestion.

Y'all are all pantywaists. I wanna party with this chick!! :wub::lol: Lessee, how can I do this without Salty Sarah Callahan gettin' wind of it??? ;):huh: :huh:

Knit one, drop one, knit one, drop one, pearl two, knit one.

...for those of us whut ain't learned:

Here are the most commonly used knitting terms and their definitions, and how you will see their abbreviations marked in patterns.

Knit: When you are reading a pattern, knit refers to a type of stitch. This is also called the knit stitch and is marked in patterns as "k." The knit stitch is probably the first stitch you learned, but in case you forgot, or are new to the craft of knitting, here is a brief refresher. You make a knit stitch when you insert the right hand needle through the top stitch on the left hand needle, wrap the yarn around the right hand needle with the left in front, and push the right hand needle through the opening in the old stitch to create a new stitch.

Purl: Like knit, purl refers to a certain type of stitch. A purl is made when you insert the right hand needle into the first stitch on the left hand needle, but bring the right around to the front. With the yarn in front (instead of behind the needles), wrap the yarn around the right hand needle and push it through the opening in the stitch to create a new loop on the right hand needle. Purling feels just like knitting, but backwards. On a pattern, purl will be marked as "p."

Numbers: Any time you see a number after a "k" or a "p" on a pattern, that means that you should knit or purl that many stitches. For example, "k3" means knit three stitches.

Garter stitch: This is the knitting term for the pattern that a group of knit stitches makes. If you knit all knit stitches, you'll get horizontally ribbed rows called a garter stitch.

Stockinette stitch: This is a knitting term for the pattern created when you alternate knit stitch rows with purl stitch rows. The pattern looks like rows of "V's."

Cast on: This is the technical term for how you begin a knitting project. Casting on refers to getting the first row of stitches onto the needle. In a pattern, cast on will be marked as "CO."

Bind off: This is how you end a knitting project. If you think of knitting as making row after row of slip knots, binding off is how you tie the knots to keep your project from unraveling. Binding off is denoted as "BO" in a pattern.

Slip stitch: Sometimes when you knit, you won't want to knit every stitch. To make a slip stitch, take the top stitch on the left hand needle and slip it onto the right hand needle without doing anything to it. This knitting term is written as an "sl" in a pattern.

Yarn back: Sometimes you will need to change the position of the yarn before making your next stitch. Yarn back means to take the yarn and move it behind your needles. Think of "yarn back" as putting the yarn where you would normally put it to make a knit stitch. In a pattern, yarn back is denoted as "yb."

Yarn forward: Like yarn back, yarn forward means to adjust the position of the yarn before making your next stitch. When you see "yf" on a pattern, bring the yarn to the front of your needles like when you are purling.

Yarn over: This is another knitting term that deals with positioning the yarn. When you see "yo" in a pattern, take the yarn and bring it to the front. Then take the yarn and wrap it around the right hand needle and use it to knit the next stitch. Yarn over is used to increase the number of stitches in a row, and it also makes a hole that is often used as decoration in some complicated patterns.

Through back loop: A knitting pattern will sometimes tell you to work a stitch "through back loop" instead of through the front part of a stitch. When you do this, it makes a little twist at the base of the stitch that can be decorative. Through back loop is denoted as a "tbl" on a pattern.

Increase: To increase means to add another stitch. Do this by skipping the first stitch on the left hand needle and knitting into the second stitch. Don't drop any stitches yet. Knit into the first stitch as normal, drop it and then knit the second stitch again normally. The second time you knit the second stitch, it will feel tighter. Learning how to increase is an important step in varying the width of your project. Increase is denoted as "inc."

Make: Make also increases the number of stitches in a row. It is marked as "m" and you do this by inserting the left hand needle into the yarn between the stitch you just made and the next stitch on the left hand needle. Look for the horizontal line of yarn that stretches when you tug gently. Transfer it to the right hand needle by inserting the right needle from front to back. Knit the extra stitch through the back loop.

Knit together: Instead of knitting just one stitch into the weave, pretend the first two stitches on the left hand needle are one and knit them together. This will look like "k2tog" or "k3tog," depending on how many stitches you are supposed to knit as one.

Repeat: Instead of writing out every step on a pattern, the pattern will often tell you to repeat certain steps. This is marked "rep," and a (*) will tell you where to begin the repetition.

Right hand and left hand: The right hand and left hand needles are abbreviated as "RH" and "LH" on patterns.

Right side and wrong side: The right side of your knitting (RS) will be the side with the pattern. The wrong side (WS) will be the reverse side. This isn't too important with simple patterns that look nice on both sides, but more complicated patterns will have a definite right and wrong side.

Badger???? How did you get so learned in this topic???? ...inquiring minds want to know!

...for those of us whut ain't learned:

Here are the most commonly used knitting terms and their definitions, and how you will see their abbreviations marked in patterns.

Knit: When you are reading a pattern, knit refers to a type of stitch. This is also called the knit stitch and is marked in patterns as "k." The knit stitch is probably the first stitch you learned, but in case you forgot, or are new to the craft of knitting, here is a brief refresher. You make a knit stitch when you insert the right hand needle through the top stitch on the left hand needle, wrap the yarn around the right hand needle with the left in front, and push the right hand needle through the opening in the old stitch to create a new stitch.

Purl: Like knit, purl refers to a certain type of stitch. A purl is made when you insert the right hand needle into the first stitch on the left hand needle, but bring the right around to the front. With the yarn in front (instead of behind the needles), wrap the yarn around the right hand needle and push it through the opening in the stitch to create a new loop on the right hand needle. Purling feels just like knitting, but backwards. On a pattern, purl will be marked as "p."

Numbers: Any time you see a number after a "k" or a "p" on a pattern, that means that you should knit or purl that many stitches. For example, "k3" means knit three stitches.

Garter stitch: This is the knitting term for the pattern that a group of knit stitches makes. If you knit all knit stitches, you'll get horizontally ribbed rows called a garter stitch.

Stockinette stitch: This is a knitting term for the pattern created when you alternate knit stitch rows with purl stitch rows. The pattern looks like rows of "V's."

Cast on: This is the technical term for how you begin a knitting project. Casting on refers to getting the first row of stitches onto the needle. In a pattern, cast on will be marked as "CO."

Bind off: This is how you end a knitting project. If you think of knitting as making row after row of slip knots, binding off is how you tie the knots to keep your project from unraveling. Binding off is denoted as "BO" in a pattern.

Slip stitch: Sometimes when you knit, you won't want to knit every stitch. To make a slip stitch, take the top stitch on the left hand needle and slip it onto the right hand needle without doing anything to it. This knitting term is written as an "sl" in a pattern.

Yarn back: Sometimes you will need to change the position of the yarn before making your next stitch. Yarn back means to take the yarn and move it behind your needles. Think of "yarn back" as putting the yarn where you would normally put it to make a knit stitch. In a pattern, yarn back is denoted as "yb."

Yarn forward: Like yarn back, yarn forward means to adjust the position of the yarn before making your next stitch. When you see "yf" on a pattern, bring the yarn to the front of your needles like when you are purling.

Yarn over: This is another knitting term that deals with positioning the yarn. When you see "yo" in a pattern, take the yarn and bring it to the front. Then take the yarn and wrap it around the right hand needle and use it to knit the next stitch. Yarn over is used to increase the number of stitches in a row, and it also makes a hole that is often used as decoration in some complicated patterns.

Through back loop: A knitting pattern will sometimes tell you to work a stitch "through back loop" instead of through the front part of a stitch. When you do this, it makes a little twist at the base of the stitch that can be decorative. Through back loop is denoted as a "tbl" on a pattern.

Increase: To increase means to add another stitch. Do this by skipping the first stitch on the left hand needle and knitting into the second stitch. Don't drop any stitches yet. Knit into the first stitch as normal, drop it and then knit the second stitch again normally. The second time you knit the second stitch, it will feel tighter. Learning how to increase is an important step in varying the width of your project. Increase is denoted as "inc."

Make: Make also increases the number of stitches in a row. It is marked as "m" and you do this by inserting the left hand needle into the yarn between the stitch you just made and the next stitch on the left hand needle. Look for the horizontal line of yarn that stretches when you tug gently. Transfer it to the right hand needle by inserting the right needle from front to back. Knit the extra stitch through the back loop.

Knit together: Instead of knitting just one stitch into the weave, pretend the first two stitches on the left hand needle are one and knit them together. This will look like "k2tog" or "k3tog," depending on how many stitches you are supposed to knit as one.

Repeat: Instead of writing out every step on a pattern, the pattern will often tell you to repeat certain steps. This is marked "rep," and a (*) will tell you where to begin the repetition.

Right hand and left hand: The right hand and left hand needles are abbreviated as "RH" and "LH" on patterns.

Right side and wrong side: The right side of your knitting (RS) will be the side with the pattern. The wrong side (WS) will be the reverse side. This isn't too important with simple patterns that look nice on both sides, but more complicated patterns will have a definite right and wrong side.

Badger???? How did you get so learned in this topic???? ...inquiring minds want to know!

Trying to larn how to tie fishing knots.

I am pretty much down to the uni knot, perfection knot, blood knot and the snell knot.

Archived