SASS Wire Forum

Flying Old Glory

I guess this old brain finally gave out.

I have no idea of when to fly and how to fly the flag over the week end.

Should it be at half staff only on 9-11-2011 (Sunday) or should we fly it

at half staff all week end?

I would think only on 9-11.

Thanks for any advice.

I still get a thrill watching it wave in the air. :FlagAm:

No way to do half staff for mine, but she'll be flying.

Why not?

Don't have an actual vertical pole, just a short pole that sticks into a bracket at an angle on the porch post.

I had the same thing at my old house. The pole was about 4-5 ft. I drilled two holes and put small eye bolts further down the pole so I could move the flag down when necessary.

If you can't do that, a black mourning ribbon can be attached to the top of the pole.

Quote from the American Legion,

"It is difficult (if not impossible) to display the house or porch flag or street set at half-staff, as the set is not designed to easily accomplish this. An accepted patriotic practice and display of mourning is to attach a black ribbon or streamer at the top of the flag."

No way to do half staff for mine, but she'll be flying.

Same here....the flag I have is 3X5 and takes up most the pole...don't worry, the fact that your flying Old Glory proud will suffice and not be seen as disrespectful.

Black ribbon has been done at times though..

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I didn't think of the black ribbon, thanks UB. The flag I'll be flying on Sunday will be the same flag I flew on September 11, 2001. I flew it for exactly one year (illuminated at night) and rarely put it up since........Bin Ladin's death was one. I have another flag that I display for other proper occasions.

Sun

SECDEF message received today:

SUBJ: HALF-STAFFING OF THE NATIONAL FLAG UNCLASSIFIED// ALDODACT 11/11

ADDRESSEES PASS TO ALL SUBORDINATE COMMANDS 1. AT THE DIRECTION OF THE

PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES AND IN ACCORDANCE WITH JOINT RESOLUTION

APPROVED DECEMBER 18, 2001 PUBLIC LAW 107-89, THE FLAG OF THE UNITED STATES

SHALL BE FLOWN AT HALF-STAFF ON PATRIOT DAY, SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 11.

2. THE FLAG SHALL BE FLOWN AT HALF-STAFF ON ALL DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE

BUILDINGS, GROUNDS AND NAVAL VESSELS THROUGHOUT THE UNITED STATES AND

ABROAD.

A few months ago, I put up one of those new fangled telescoping flag poles (20'). All I have to do to fly the :FlagAm: at half staff is to lower the pole and place the :FlagAm: where the state flag would go and raise the pole. Done

That's what will happen Sunday morning

:FlagAm:

TF

I didn't think of the black ribbon, thanks UB. The flag I'll be flying on Sunday will be the same flag I flew on September 11, 2001. I flew it for exactly one year (illuminated at night) and rarely put it up since........Bin Ladin's death was one. I have another flag that I display for other proper occasions.

Sun

I recall those gentle tropical breezes. I can't get 6 months out of a flag with the wind around here! And that's just flying it dawn to dusk.

First thing I did when I came down from the bunkhouse this morning, put old glory out to wave in honor of those Americans lost on this day ten years ago.

<Insert picture of a Grizzly bear with a tear in his eye here>

Grizz

As I raised the flag this morning, it started to rain. When I lowered it to half staff and tied it off, the rain stopped.

My next project is a permanent flagpole (20 footer?) here at the Happy Cow Farm. Would like to fly a slightly larger flag and have the ability to properly illuminate the flag at night.

Archived