SASS Wire Forum

Viruses, Hackers, and Cyber Cooties

I placed a phone order Thursday with a trusted vendor I do a lot of business with. The item I wanted was on backorder, so they sent me a copy of my invoice via e-mail as a PDF attachment. That's when all hell broke loose.

It was apparently infected with some kind of trojan virus that kept trying to redirect all my subsequent Google and Yahoo searches to some malware site. Spent several hours trying to delete it with various programs, and ended up having to buy the AVG Antivirus suite. Nonpaid endorsement - it works, and it works great.

I called the vendor to alert them, and their IT guy thanked me. Apparently it had slipped into their system unnoticed.

Things to watch for: anything on your computer that says "mouseverifieronline" or "TX Text Control".

If the SOB's responsible for these would put as much effort into an honest enterprise they'd be richer than Bill Gates.

I've had fair amount of trouble with these creepy, crawly vermin on my computer as well. Too bad we can't use them for stage targets!!

"We will never forget!!" :FlagAm:

I placed a phone order Thursday with a trusted vendor I do a lot of business with. The item I wanted was on backorder, so they sent me a copy of my invoice via e-mail as a PDF attachment. That's when all hell broke loose.

It was apparently infected with some kind of trojan virus that kept trying to redirect all my subsequent Google and Yahoo searches to some malware site. Spent several hours trying to delete it with various programs, and ended up having to buy the AVG Antivirus suite. Nonpaid endorsement - it works, and it works great.

I called the vendor to alert them, and their IT guy thanked me. Apparently it had slipped into their system unnoticed.

Things to watch for: anything on your computer that says "mouseverifieronline" or "TX Text Control".

If the SOB's responsible for these would put as much effort into an honest enterprise they'd be richer than Bill Gates.

some of those SOB's could careless about the money Captain, they just want to cause havoc, kayos and just be a pain in the ass

I use Kaspersky antivirus/internet protection. I figure that if all the best hackers are in Russia, I might as well use antivirus software developed there. I wouldn't doubt that the hackers work for the antivirus software firms. I haven't had any problems for the three years that I have been using it. We use Symantec at work, and people get viruses all of the time. It sucks that people have nothing better to do than to cause random people trouble.

These sniveling little bastards that develop virus's worms, Trojans etc. should be hung by their clock weights and be beaten to death with a computer mouse, then beaten some more :angry:

Had the same problem. AVG found it.

Bastards!

Archived