SASS Wire Forum

Marlin bolt... I got one! THX... JJJ

Deja Vous

Well, my best pal found a bolt for my gun!!!!!!!! We went out shooting at the range with 22's and his crazy, wild, black shotgun that looks like a weapon of mass destruction.. lol.. I had a 22 pistol (hy hollywood) the Mauseberg 22 bolt the baby derrigner.. and we both shot a few rounds thru Miz Demeaner just to tic her off.. lol..

BTW the shotgun even with lite loads had a darn recoil.. geesh JJJ's your hurtin my shootin arm..

Anyhow.. I am getting the money order tomorrow and I can not wait to shoot my squirrel gun.. lol... Yippee...

Congrats Deja! Triple J is a great guy. I'm glad you guys had fun getting those old guns back in action!

Deja,

Your search for parts for your old 22 got me thinking about an old 22 my dad had. I found it a couple weeks ago in mothers closet rapped in a blanket. This poor thing spent years in the bottom of a workbench in the old basement where I grew up. The barrel is heavely pitted and rusted outside, but the bore isn't too bad. One spot didn't clean up very well, but the rifling is still in pretty good shape.

The story I remember is dad found the gun under the back seat of a modle T long before I was born. The stock was broke, so he made a new one. I did some searching online and found it to be a Mossburg Model B, a single shot 22 Trapper. The extractor was missing. So I have made a new extractor, and have ordered some springs to see if I can make one work to hold the extractor down. I have also ordered some new sights and am going to try cleaning and polishing up the barrel so I can re-blue it. I need a trigger guard, so I'll be looking for one at the gun shows. I test fired the gun yesterday, and my extractor worked well.

I hope you have as much fun restoring that old gun you got from your dad. This will make the second of dads old wall hangers I have brought back to life. The first was his old Remington Rolling Block I had rebarreled and chambered for 38-55. It's now one of my cowboy long range rifles.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Dutchman

Congrats Deja! Triple J is a great guy. I'm glad you guys had fun getting those old guns back in action!

It has been fun, but I admit I do more talking than working.. lol... JJJ's is the brains behind the gun repairs.. not me. I am going home this Sunday again and I can't wait to find out what I might take home with me in the future. I have a few too many at my house now.. so I will wait until I can take one home at least. I need to clean the 22 we shot Monday, so it can't go home. Once I get the squirrel gun fixed I will take them both home and let my dad decide. He said keep them all, but I have lots of brothers and sisters and you never know when someone else might want to go hunt targets.. lol

Deja,

Your search for parts for your old 22 got me thinking about an old 22 my dad had. I found it a couple weeks ago in mothers closet rapped in a blanket. This poor thing spent years in the bottom of a workbench in the old basement where I grew up. The barrel is heavely pitted and rusted outside, but the bore isn't too bad. One spot didn't clean up very well, but the rifling is still in pretty good shape.

The story I remember is dad found the gun under the back seat of a modle T long before I was born. The stock was broke, so he made a new one. I did some searching online and found it to be a Mossburg Model B, a single shot 22 Trapper. The extractor was missing. So I have made a new extractor, and have ordered some springs to see if I can make one work to hold the extractor down. I have also ordered some new sights and am going to try cleaning and polishing up the barrel so I can re-blue it. I need a trigger guard, so I'll be looking for one at the gun shows. I test fired the gun yesterday, and my extractor worked well.

I hope you have as much fun restoring that old gun you got from your dad. This will make the second of dads old wall hangers I have brought back to life. The first was his old Remington Rolling Block I had rebarreled and chambered for 38-55. It's now one of my cowboy long range rifles.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Dutchman

And yes, I did want to know... thanks for the story. I am sure he is proud of you up there in heaven.

Once we put the Marlin together I will take them both home and let him pick. I still am not ready to give up the Hy Hollywood.. lol.. That gun is a hoot. He has a old damaskas gun up there something is wrong with it too. And a nice old Winchester shotgun. Plus a modern 12 that I would love to play with. A few 9MM, 357 snub, 32 Johnson Iverson, a russian rifle, and just a lot of misc stuff. It took me a while climbing around to find two guns he had forgot he had. When my uncle passed over he left his guns to his boys. At the time he was at his cabin in AZ. There were 47 guns in the house, and several more in a trailer parked by the house. The police found the ones in the house but gave them to my cousins once they arrrived. Once they when up to his home in idaho they found a shed full of guns and a couple of safes. Plus a bunch of reloading stuff old stuff mostly. A lot of old cap and balls, and parts too. Both boys split the stuff up, one loves cap and ball so it was easy. The funny part was no one knew the combinations to the safes. So, my creative cousin cut a hole in the back side of them to open the doors. The safes were empty.. lol... All the guns were out in the open.

He and my father shared a love of shooting. The traded guns back and forth, and my dad gave him a lot of guns as he found them at ranch sales, and left behind in apartments. One rifle my dad has was left in an abandon car at a rental property here in CA many years ago that he owned.. Guns use to be a dime a dozen I guess.

We had a 12 gauge side by side and over and under, a 410, a few 22s, a deer gun and about 5 daisys.. lol.. I think one brother has all of those, but no one is sure where they went.

The 22 was a little bolt action.. with a long barrel... hard to say what kind of guns they were, probably cheap ones.

Archived