SASS Wire Forum

my sons stoeger 20g

Johnny Swan, SASS #50322

I picked up a used stoeger 20g for my son and have done some work on polishing chambers and such, but I've run into a question. It seems that the extracter doesn't quite pull the brass of a low brass shell past the end of the chamber. The extracter can definetly extend that far but it seems that the pin isn't long enough or mechanism in forend is worn down(?) So I guess its two questions, Should the extracter pull the brass past chamber and if not is there a way to fix without opening chamber mouth?

thanks

Swan

The extractor could be binding. I found that the extractor shaft was slightly bent on mine. I straightened it out and polished it. I also removed a burr that was on the tip of the set screw.

Polish the chambers so the shells will fall out with gravity. The extractor just gets them started in the right direction.

The extractor could be binding. I found that the extractor shaft was slightly bent on mine. I straightened it out and polished it. I also removed a burr that was on the tip of the set screw.

Polish the chambers so the shells will fall out with gravity. The extractor just gets them started in the right direction.

Thanks buckshot

I have done all of this, something still has to get the expanded brass out of chamber. Once brass is past chamber they fly out.

Swan

The other thing is DO NOT use cheap promotional ammo, as it ALL has steel case heads. Use ONLY AA or REM. STS ammo, which has BRASS case heads.

Some promo ammo has brass looking case heads, but that is simply a wash, to help prevent rusting. A magnet will quickly reveal that it is really steel.

Ammo with brass case heads will slightly contract as soon as the pressure drops off after being fired, and will simply fall out of a chamber that is clean and smooth.

Steel case heads expand when fired too, but DO NOT contract much at all when the pressure drops off. Thus they tend to stick in the chambers, more especially if dirty or slightly rough, (like having machining marks inside the chamber).

Make a mandrel out of a piece of wooden dowel, chuck it in a drill and wrap it with fine emery paper and smooth the machine marks or other roughness out of the chambers. Then wrap the mandrel with 0000 steel wool and polish the chamber untill it is glass smooth.

Spent shells, (with brass case heads) should then simply fall out of the chambers after being fired.

RBK

I picked up a used stoeger 20g for my son and have done some work on polishing chambers and such, but I've run into a question. It seems that the extracter doesn't quite pull the brass of a low brass shell past the end of the chamber. The extracter can definetly extend that far but it seems that the pin isn't long enough or mechanism in forend is worn down(?) So I guess its two questions, Should the extracter pull the brass past chamber and if not is there a way to fix without opening chamber mouth?

thanks

Swan

Extend the push-pin section of the extractor with a new piece of tool steel soldered on to the pin. Not a lot of load on that pin, so a soft solder would probably hold it. Reshape tip to match the original profile. Check for smooth operation. Make sure you haven't extended it too far and the action can't close any more. Probably a gunsmith fix, unless you are a good tinkerer.

Or, get a suitable large screw or bolt with a healthy head on it (like a socket-head), then flatten and tap the existing push-pin, screw in the extender screw and file the head of the screw to have required shape. When satisfied you have the right amount of adjustment (screw depth) to extract the shells, red loctite it in place.

Good luck, GJ

Archived