SASS Wire Forum

Laid off in June

BLACKFOOT SASS #11947

I got laid off in June and am beginning to get worried. I'm afraid they are going to call me back!

Drifter

I get laid off in late October . . called back in mid July . . . 8 1/2 months off works out pretty good. :)

Ya I am waiting for my call back too, it has only been since January 2008

Pards like you just goes to show what American resiliance is all about. In the roughest of times is when Americans become their strongest and wisest. The very best of our American character and heritage shines through. Keep the faith Shoer, there is a lot of us Americans and American Veterans going through some hards times and trying our best hang in there with you.

Your Pard,

Roy

Pards like you just goes to show what American resiliance is all about. In the roughest of times is when Americans become their strongest and wisest. The very best of our American character and heritage shines through. Keep the faith Shoer, there is a lot of us Americans and American Veterans going through some hards times and trying our best hang in there with you.

Your Pard,

Roy

Roy thanks for the thoughts, If we knew each other you would know I have been knock down many times in my life. I always pick my self back up, sometimes with help most the time without. Then I dust myself off, deal with what ever I have to deal with, good or bad no crying or winning, then get on with life. Life is a roller coaster sometimes your up sometimes your down and sometimes you have to push it up to the top.

I got laid off the end of July so I am a newbe. The Bank wants to own my house and has refused to refinance or modify my mortgage so come January it's foreclosure time. :angry:

On the other hand Obama said last nite his plan will give us an additional 12 months of unemployment benefits.

If I were to lose my job, I could find another one in less than a week. How on God's Green Earth can someone be out of work for 2-3 years or more?? You might have to work night shifts for minimum wage stocking shelves or cashiering at a convenience store working weekends and have split days off, but there are still crap jobs like this all over the place. This time of year, I could cut firewood and make $100-$400+ a day fer chrissake. (tax-free, if I didn't want to tell the IRS about it)

If I were to lose my job, I could find another one in less than a week. How on God's Green Earth can someone be out of work for 2-3 years or more?? You might have to work night shifts for minimum wage stocking shelves or cashiering at a convenience store working weekends and have split days off, but there are still crap jobs like this all over the place. This time of year, I could cut firewood and make $100-$400+ a day fer chrissake. (tax-free, if I didn't want to tell the IRS about it)

I agree. I have NEVER stayed out of work. In past years when I needed "a job" . . . I took ANY JOB . . . I've been known to go to a day labor hall, . . go out on any job they had for me. ie. ditch digging, moving furniature, etc. In anywhere from a couple of hours to a couple of weeks someone would offer me a job. Might be for a week, or for a few weeks or a month . . or a steady one. But there are always employers who recongize the guy who is willing to WORK and jumps at the chance to hire him.

How on God's Green Earth can someone be out of work for 2-3 years or more??

The real unemployment rate in my area is 17-21% and has been that way for several years with the collapse of the airplane building industry. Worse is that the airplane building is on the tail end of any recovery. Even worse is home values have plunged. My home has lost 1/3 of it's value and all the bank says is it will not restructure my loan. So come January they can have it.

I use to have your attitude about easily finding a job until this layoff. The real truth is when you reach a certain age employers don't want you. It seems like I am overqualified for some jobs and not skilled enough in others.

Fortunately ours kids are grown so moving is in the cards. Texas by God!

If I were to lose my job, I could find another one in less than a week. How on God's Green Earth can someone be out of work for 2-3 years or more?? You might have to work night shifts for minimum wage stocking shelves or cashiering at a convenience store working weekends and have split days off, but there are still crap jobs like this all over the place. This time of year, I could cut firewood and make $100-$400+ a day fer chrissake. (tax-free, if I didn't want to tell the IRS about it)that is a cash flow not employment

I agree. I have NEVER stayed out of work. In past years when I needed "a job" . . . I took ANY JOB . . . I've been known to go to a day labor hall, . . go out on any job they had for me. ie. ditch digging, moving furniature, etc. In anywhere from a couple of hours to a couple of weeks someone would offer me a job. Might be for a week, or for a few weeks or a month . . or a steady one. But there are always employers who recongize the guy who is willing to WORK and jumps at the chance to hire him.

I never said I didn't do any work or didn't make any money, just not what I am accustom to. Working odd jobs and day labor is not being employed, it is a cash flow which both of you are confusing with employment. When you fill out application, summit resumes with follow up calls and you can't even get an interview or call backs, what do you do then. Yes wolfgang I have gotten full time work and job offers from temp agencys in the past too. The last sit down interview I had I was told by the interviewer he had received 250 resumes with in 4 hours and I was in the top 10% but still didn't get hired. I've also never been unemployed longer then I have wanted to be in the past

oh and by the way I am still waiting the call to go back to work for my last employer :lol::P

The real unemployment rate in my area is 17-21% and has been that way for several years with the collapse of the airplane building industry. Worse is that the airplane building is on the tail end of any recovery. Even worse is home values have plunged. My home has lost 1/3 of it's value and all the bank says is it will not restructure my loan. So come January they can have it.

I use to have your attitude about easily finding a job until this layoff. The real truth is when you reach a certain age employers don't want you. It seems like I am overqualified for some jobs and not skilled enough in others. thats me too

Fortunately ours kids are grown so moving is in the cards. Texas by God!

I became 'unemployed' in August of 2009. I was working as a network architect when I had a little health related wake-up call at 44. I'm still not working in the computer field, in fact I got today off while they are cutting hay but I've got four days of bailing and bucking next week and it's good money. I've held every kind of odd job I can think of over the last two years. I'm in the best shape physically since I was in high school, I spend way more time with my wife and kids, I've got time to volunteer coaching in the local youth programs and school sports programs, and I sleep well at night. Sure there are down sides like no health insurance, but even that worked out by trading computer work at the local hospital and Dr's clinics for health care. The ranch work will end next week, but the town is sponsoring free trash haul-offs for the next month and a lot of people are willing to pay to have their yards cleaned up and have debris and old appliances moved and staged for the city trucks, so I've got at least another month of steady work. I'm still sending resumes out and I occasionally get an 'in person' interview, but like someone stated above there's like a million people competing for every job. This isn't the career I envisioned for myself, even five years ago, but I sure am glad things changed the way they did or I probably wouldn't be here today. We lost our house, and one car, but there's a ton of ways to get through and be happy if you stay positive and have a good attitude. I'm really bummed that I had to let my SASS membership lapse and let all my guns go too, but by God I'm planning on bein' back at it by next spring. Stay positive and do whatever you can to feel like you accomplished something with your day, every day.

Sorry for the long preachy rant, probably should have just kept my mouth shut and kept lurkin'.

Off to go help the maintenance crew get the field ready for the football game tonight and clean the locker rooms.

I got laid off in June and am beginning to get worried. I'm afraid they are going to call me back!

Drifter

ah they will wait for 3 days before deer gun season opens--- way it happens to me! :angry:

Archived