SASS Wire Forum

John Carter coming in 2012

Just from the trailer it looks like it will be a bust. Those of us who grew up on the John Carter books, especially the ones with the lovely pen and ink illustrations, will be disappointed with the costuming and the non-humanoid characters, I think.

And the guy who is cast as John Carter is way off on looks.

Looks like a cross between star trek and Conan.

I think I have some socks to darn that weekend... :huh:

Wouldn't it be great if it started a trend where kids began reading ERB and classics instead of Harry Potter?

I can dream can't I? :rolleyes:

I started buying Burroughs books in the old used book shops at around age 12 in 1960, and grew up on them, well before the reprints finally came out later on.

So I'm an old John Carter acolyte, and yet I have great hopes for this movie. I like the trailer. Nothing can be exact. My guess is that the "rays" in that one scene are the Barsoomian rays in the oxygen plant.

The casting looks good to me. And William Defore is Tars Tarkus and Thomas Haden Church Tal Hajus.

I am just glad that the technology has finally arrived to do a Barsoom movie, and that Disney is doing it. It appears, however, that Dejah Thoris will be wearing clothes; a sad departure from the books!

I started buying Burroughs books in the old used book shops at around age 12 in 1960, and grew up on them, well before the reprints finally came out later on.

So I'm an old John Carter acolyte, and yet I have great hopes for this movie. I like the trailer. Nothing can be exact. My guess is that the "rays" in that one scene are the Barsoomian rays in the oxygen plant.

The casting looks good to me. And William Defore is Tars Tarkus and Thomas Haden Church Tal Hajus.

I am just glad that the technology has finally arrived to do a Barsoom movie, and that Disney is doing it. It appears, however, that Dejah Thoris will be wearing clothes; a sad departure from the books!

I was going to mention that she looked overdressed. ;)

Wouldn't it be great if it started a trend where kids began reading ERB and classics instead of Harry Potter?

I can dream can't I? :rolleyes:

Utah, have you read any of the HP books?

I am not comparing them to ERB or any other classics but they aren't bad and if it helps a kid be interested in reading, I am all for it.

My 8 year old read one of Potter books this summer. It took him a while to do it, but I was proud of him for sticking to it. He read it because, for now, that is what he is interested in and I don't care because he is reading which, IMO, is the most important part.

Regards,

Dutch

I'll chime in on Harry Potter, too. I've never read them, but 6 or 7 of my grandkids have, and they are very big fans. I've only heard mainly good things about these, and they got millions of kids to read who may have stuck with the computer screen only.

And John Carter appears on Barsoom with his Old West clothes-- I distinctly recall these did not survive the astral projection that got him there.....

Correct. John Carter's Barsoomian name was of course Dotar Sojat from the names iof the first two chietains he killed.

What Burroughs failed to mention was that Carter's original name, given to him upon arriving on the planet, was Calof Tabor, which translates roughly to Buck Nekkid. ;)

Ooh, good one. It's not Casoom is it?

Edit: Shoot, I just checked. I was wrong, but I won't ruin your excellent question by giving out the answer.

BTW, Joe, this is where I found the answer.

http://www.erblist.com/abg/index.html

It was not my intent to demean the novels of Ms Rowling so don't pile on there you Potterphiles. I'm glad that kids will read anything.

I just think the rousing Barsoomian adventures are a little more....manly? ;):lol:

Now here's a quiz question: how many people (of all Barsoomian types, including plant men but excluding white apes) did John Carter kill?

I remember how they used to pile up in the corridors and around the dead sea bottoms and here and elsewhere, while his arm never got tired.....

Must be thousands of 'em.

Ooh, good one. It's not Casoom is it?

Edit: Shoot, I just checked. I was wrong, but I won't ruin your excellent question by giving out the answer.

BTW, Joe, this is where I found the answer.

You're thinking of Johnny Casoom, the Barsoomian late night talk show host.

I seen John Carter. I was thinging John Carter the Hall Of Fame Cutting Horse Trainer. :unsure:

You could make a good movie about his life.

Now there was a hard man that did not take any *&%$.

But still had a big heart.

Archived